Chapter 64

2018

"One old-fashioned coming right up." Saad said when we reached the club. He looked at me, trying to gauge my reaction but I just nodded at him.

"Olivia." Julian said, wrapping an arm around me, which I shook off. "Why is it that you look so unhappy? You just had a great launch party, you've been having a great season with the team and you're out partying with us. It makes no sense."

"I'm not unhappy. Maybe I just have a resting bitch face." I told him. Julian laughed but I knew he didn't like my answer. He wasn't wrong in what he said, but I just hated the way he acted like he could read me.

Saad returned then, handing me my drink. I drank it all in one sip. "Woah, pace yourself." Saad told me.

"Why?" I asked, heading for the bar again and ordering one more drink and two shots.

"Are you okay?" Saad asked, approaching me. He traced his finger across my cheek.

"Uh-huh." I whispered. He turned my face towards him and kissed me.

The bartender brought two glasses and poured the shots. I broke the kiss and I pushed the one towards Saad and we drank them. The gold liquid burned going down my throat, but it was worth it, because soon I'd be drunk enough that I'd forget all about Neymar.

"Saad?" I asked him, after taking a sip of my old fashioned too. "We're having fun, right?"

He looked at me curiously for a second. "Sure."

"But that's all we're doing."

He chuckled. "Are you afraid I'll fall for you?" He asked me.

I looked at him, trying to study his expression. But the alcohol was catching up to me. "No. Come to think of it, no."

He smiled, licking his lips. "I have the faint impression that I'm being used here. But as it turns out, I don't mind."

I laughed, thinking back to him saying he wouldn't compete with a guy like Neymar because he'd lose.

"That is very progressive of you."

He shrugged his shoulders. "As long as I take you home tonight." He bit his lip again. He was gorgeous and he really knew it.

"No, not tonight." I told him.

Saad shook his head. "No guy is worth all this heartbreak. Not even him." he told me and walked away. Was I that transparent?

A few drinks later, I felt too dizzy to be able to sit on the stool without needing to hold onto the bar. I had left that party agreeing to go out with Saad and the rest of them, to have fun. I couldn't stop thinking about Neymar, gently lifting Davi up, Neymar bringing me my favorite drink, Neymar asking if he's allowed to say I'm beautiful. How had it turned out like this? Why did he hold so much power over me?

I tried to get off the stool, tripping. "Hey babe. It's time to go home isn't it?" Valentine said, putting her arm around me and supporting me. I felt dizzy. I saw the rest of them had all turned to look at me.

"Val, can I stay with you tonight? I don't want my brother and David to—"

"Sure." Valentine told me and motioned to Julian who approached us. "Liv and I are leaving."

Julian nodded. "Take a cab." He told her. He looked at me with an expression I could only interpret as pity.

When Valentine and I got into the cab, that's when the real pity party started. I started crying, so much, so uncontrollably that the cabby thought something had happened to me and asked if we wanted to go to the hospital.