Chapter 71

2018

The men's team's next game brought everyone back on the same box as previous times, since Julian and Saad had apparently extended us that invite till the end of the season. This time, when they saw Neymar and his dad, Julian also invited them, promptly sitting himself next to Neymar. I rolled my eyes, knowing very well he'd wait for the right moment to ask him to pose together.

If the men's team won today, with only two more games left and a 7-point difference from the next best team, they would be guaranteed the championship, no matter what happened in the next two games. It was a big deal, and everyone was excited.

My brother had left for England a few days ago and he actually looked a lot better than when he first arrived, which made me hopeful for the future. My mom had taken the opportunity to fly back home for the few days that Michael was here and see my dad, but now she'd be coming back to England, since Michael was not ready to be by himself yet.

I knew that her and my dad were planning to have a big conversation with Michael because they asked me for my support. They wanted to ask him to go home to the States, until at least August. He wouldn't be able to play until then anyway, and if he was ready for the new season with Everton he could return to England then, in September. Otherwise, my mom preferred to be back home. It was tough, I knew Mikey would hate it, but I could see the point of view of my parents.

"Liv!" Neymar Sr called for me, so I got up from my seat next to Peter, where we were currently running 3P simulations and joined him.

"Hey guys." I told him, Neymar and Julian. "How is the foot?" I asked Neymar.

"It hurts at random times. But other than that, it feels fine."

"Because you don't step on it." His dad said. "It's fractured, it's not fine."

Neymar sighed. "I know I'm not gonna play the rest of the season, no need to keep reminding me."

"But you will for the World Cup in the summer." I offered. It was mindboggling to me how we were a few months away from another World Cup.

"Don't get his hopes up yet." Neymar Sr told me. "Now, I need to speak with you about business. Can you come by the house after the game?"

"Sure." I said, glancing at Neymar, who was also looking at me.

"Aren't you coming to the party?" Julian asked incredulously.

"What party?"

"Didn't Saad tell you? I'm throwing Valentine a surprise party tonight at my house. For her birthday."

"Maybe it slipped my mind." I said, trying to remember.

"I was going to invite you too, if you want to come." Julian said to Neymar. "It's at 11. But you," Julian turned to me, "you should come after the game, to help with set up. I thought Saad told you."

"I messaged you." Saad, who had looked up after hearing his name mentioned twice, said.

"Sorry. I didn't see it."

Julian rolled his eyes. "Anyway, we'd love it if you came." He told Neymar.

"Thanks." Neymar smiled, but I knew he was going to decline. "It's just that with my leg, I'm not in the mood for parties. Thank you though."

"Alright then." Neymar Sr said, turning to me again. "Tomorrow morning before the game. Come to the house." He told me.

"Sure. I'll be there, bright and early." I smiled at him widely, but he rolled his eyes at me. Acting exactly like my own dad would.