Chapter 25 - 'Thunder'

The rest of the night was peaceful. I would rest my head on Cole's lap as he would play with my hair while we watched whatever crap he decided to put on the TV. None of us said much to eachother.
"Do you want to head to bed?" I ask a very sleepy Cole noticing him drifting off anyway. He just nods and I get up from where I am. He takes my hand and we walk to his room.
As we get comfortable, my head on his chest , him playing with my hair again I notice all the lights in the house are still on.

"Cole we forgot to turn off the lights"

"Look" he says. Cole grabs him phone and turns them off with a app.
"Okay did not expect that" I say
"Dads rich, the only semi decent thing is that he gets all these cool gadgets that I get to play with" Cole says after placing a chaste kiss on my forehead.
Soon enough we both drift off.

~

Bang! And again and again. Thunder.
It felt like it was right next to the house. I woke up to such noise and noticed a terrified Cole trembling with his arms around me and his head between my neck and shoulder.
"Seriously you're scarred of thunder?" I ask in amusement.
"Been like this since I was little" Cole sniffles and raises his head up to look up me.
"So big bad Cole is scarred of something" I say.
Another big rumble of thunder blasts throughout and I feel Cole grab me tighter.
"Can you stay here with me" Cole asks wiping his tears eyes. This boy is really scarred of the dark wow.

"I'm here now? I thought I was staying over anyway ?"

"No-" Cole starts.
"I mean stay for a while" "dads left for god knows how long and mum doesn't want to be in this house anymore" Cole says.
"Dad cheated on her and now she wants no part in the family except for my older brother" Cole whimpers into me.

"Okay" I simply say. I use my right thumb to wipe Cole's tears from underneath his eyes and he just looks up at me. He moves up and I move my head down meeting his lips. The kiss was soft and tender. It definitely felt like there was more feeling in this one.

~

I woke up to rain lightly tapping the window seal to Cole's bedroom. Cole was still fast asleep so getting up to go to the bathroom would be a challenge. With enough effort I managed to get out of his grasp and make my way to his bathroom.
I looked at my phone, it was 7am in the morning and Jace had texted me asking if I'm coming home sometime during today. I might as well go home for a bit considering I had to feed my pet fish knowing well enough that Jace doesn't have the mental capacity to remember to do that. And who knows if my dog is ok

"Morning" I hear a sleepy Cole say as I walk back into his room.
"Hey, I have to go home for a bit then I'll come back"
"Can I come?" Cole asks shifting his gaze from his phone to me.

"Yeah I suppose so" I say back.

We drove through Maccas drive through because Cole and I forgot to eat and before he could pay I paid for it. Cole just sat there shaking his head at me while holding his card. 

I parked my car in the driveway behind Jess's. Seems like she and Jace always were glued together.

"Who's that" Cole asks

"My brother's girlfriend"

"Ohhhh the one that's really loud?"

Nick must've said something to the boys about it otherwise how else would Cole have known about that.

Inside I was greeted by Jace who was surprisingly feeding my fish.

Rocky runs up to me and starts licking my face when I pick him up

"That's the first" I say to him gesturing at the fish

"So is that, since when we're you friends with Arty and Faiths brother" Jace raising his left eyebrow looking at Cole and I.

"Ohh that's right you used to hang with Cole's brother" I say

"Still do, he's just busy these days, it's like he forgets his has friends"

Cole scoffs to Jace's words and adds "he forgets he has siblings too"

After a few more interactions between Jace and I we head to my room.
"Cole stop touching things" I say and Cole starts poking at things seemingly being amusing at each noise each object makes. Seeing Cole being amused by such little things makes me smile, he's like a kid.

"So your still looking at me Harry, thought you had a crush on me"

"Shut up" I say back

We head back to the living room after I pack a bag of clothes.

"Is that little Cole?" I hear Jess say with excitement.

"Jessica ? You're the famous Jess dating Jace ?" I hear Cole say with shock in his voice

"Wow you've grown up" she says to Cole examining him.

"You know eachother ?" Jace says taking a bite of his sandwich.

"I used to babysit him, he used to be the best kid, definitely the one I looked forward to"

I look up at Cole, his face red with blush

"Ah yeah aha" he lets out scratching the back of his head.

"Aww Cole such a handsome young man you've turned out to be" she says giving him another look up and down.

"I certainly think so" I say putting both my arms around his waist.

"Awww" Jess let's out with excitement

"This is new" I hear Jace say.

"So is you having a girlfriend" I reply back to him.

A few minutes later Cole and I make our way back to my car, he offers to drive.

When we reach Cole's house I notice there's a white SUV in the front.

"Faith" Cole says glancing up at the car.

"Good you're here, hi Harry" she says when we step inside.

"Everything okay faith ?"

"mums in the hospital on life support" she says.

I don't know what was worse, hearing this or watching every bit of emotion drop from Cole's face.