𝔻𝕒𝕪 - 𝟙

-Kaydan's P.O.V-
"I can't believe I got this place!" I exclaim as I walk into the room. There was a couch in the center -accompanied by smaller couches - that was right in front of the TV (which was a flat screen), and the place also came with a built in kitchen.
The tenant follows me close behind saying, "Yeah, isn't it nice?"
"Really nice actually! I still can't believe the price is so low for such an awesome place!"
"There is only one bedroom and the walls are really thin."
"Still! This place is completely furnished and right across the street from Felix Centre!"
He laughs awkwardly. "Yeah..."
"Why did the last guy leave exactly?"
"These living conditions just weren't...compatible with him," the tenant answers.
"Well these conditions are hella compatible with me!" I yell.
The tenant smiles at me. "I guess I'll leave you to it then. If you need anything, be sure to call, alright?"
"Yes sir! Thanks again Mr. Cooms!"
With that he turns on his heels and exits the room, closing my door behind him.
I immediately pull out my phone and dial Luke.
He picks up after four rings. "Yo?"
"The place is mine."
"Nice! Getting to work should be easier now!"
"I can practically walk there in five minutes!"
"So I can expect you to be on time from now on then?"
"How about we not push it?"
He laughs at that. "Just be at work by Sunday. Think you can manage that?"
I look over my shoulder and to my clock. It was 8:34 P.M on a Thursday. "That is doable."
"Great. Go get settled. I'll see you then."
We say our goodbyes, then I hang up. I sigh and sprawl out onto my couch. Usually life isn't this kind, but this was one of my smarter decisions. I roll on my side and close my eyes. I only have a few boxes to unpack, so a little nap won't kill me.
I awake to the sound of heavy thumping and moaning.
"Oh god, yes!" A barely muffled scream calls out.
...Are you fucking kidding me? I know Mr. Cooms said the walls were thin, but I didn't think he meant this thin.
There was another moan and thump in response.
Oh my god.
I lift a pillow and cover my head which does little to help. I would move to my room, but that's right against the wall, so to hell with that. I only hold the pillow harder over my head and pray that it will have some effect soon.
For the rest of the night, that's all I hear. The noise never ceases. When I think there's no hope left it stops. And I don't mean "stops" like last time when they were only talking a ten second break. It actually stops. I slowly lift my head from under the pillow after a good five minutes.
Silence.
I glance at my clock. My jaw drops. 5:12 A.M? Is that even possible?
I sit up all the way and wipe my face. I haven't felt this drained in a while. I drag myself into my bathroom, turn on the shower, and finish up by tossing on my clothes. I luckily manage to walk downstairs after that and head straight for Mr. Cooms' room. I knock. Hard.
He finally answers and instantly takes a step back when he sees that it's me.
"M-Mr. Green!" He says baffled, "What are you doing here?"
I stare at him in absolute silence.
He begins to squirm nervously in place. "U- Uh, would you like to come in for some coffee?"
I hold my stare.
He sighs in defeat before saying, "Come in. I'll explain after I get the pot started."
I follow him into his simple tiny room. He's got quite the cozy living space. Far enough away from the noise for him to enjoy a good night's sleep I suppose.
After two minutes, he hands me a cup of French Vanilla flavored coffee.
I say thanks as he sits at the table, opposite of me. "So...thin walls, huh?"
"I told you the walls were thin!" He argues. "Yeah, but I didn't think they would be
playing that kind of music!"
"Why did you think the room was so cheap?"
"I thought I was just lucky, I guess!"
"You weren't expecting any kind of catch?"
"...Not really, no...but the fridge is a little pink- "
"This obviously has nothing to do with the pink fridge!"
"I can understand that now!
We finally settle down and take small sips of our coffee.
"So...who is my neighbor exactly?
"Christian Zureich. He's lived here for two years now."
"...And you couldn't just tell me about this because..." I start.
"You were the last person who was interested in the space, and I didn't want to scare you off."
"...I guess that's understandable," I finish standing up. "Does...it happen often?"
He nods.
"I guess I'll just leave the days he's at it then." He nods again, just slower this time.
I head out of his place as we say our goodbyes. I exhale deeply. Was not expecting that. I check my phone. It's now 5: 43. Since I'm already downstairs, I decide to head out with a specific location in mind.
I travel about a mile up the street, and make it to Wayne's in 15 minutes.
Okay, so maybe I exaggerated the time a bit by saying it was a 5 minute walk. I should tel Luke it's more of a 5-teen minute one.
I open the door and look
around. Wayne's was one of the nicer restaurants in the area. The inside had black walls and floors, with very dim lighting, and on most occasions you needed a reservation to get in. Since I work here, I can get in with no problems.
I make my way to the back corner and lock eyes with Luke so he knows that I'm here.
He finally arrives wearing his waiter uniform. It consisted of a long white sleeve shirt, black pants, and a black vest with a bow-tie. All the uniform did, in short, was up his attractiveness. Girls flocked in here just to get a glance at him.
"Sorry some of us have to actually work- and holy shit you look terrible," he says picking up pace at the end. "Are you alright?"
"I'm just fine! My apartment walls, not so much," I groan.
"Thin walls, huh?"
"You have no idea," I reply rubbing the bags under my eyes.
"I've had my share of bad apartments!" He tries to fight.
"Did you have a neighbor that had loud sex from dusk till dawn?"
His mouth drops. "You're joking."
I shake my head. "Nine to five."
He continues to stare at me before saying, "Did you talk to the tenant?"
"First thing in the morning."
"And?"
"He's the reason why the room was so cheap."
"...Have you talked to him?"
"Who? Mr. Goes Bump In the Night? He nods.
"...No."
"Well you should., and while you're at it, thank him for making the room so cheap," he finishes with a wink.
I glare at him.
"But, for now, you can enjoy this meal on me," he says as a guy I've never seen brings me a breakfast special.
"By the way, this is David; he's a new member to the crew."
David gives me a shy wave, and I nod at him in response. He quickly turns and walks to another table.
"He's still getting use to working here," Luke says with a shrug. "I think I'm going to appoint him as head chef. He isn't a bad cook." He takes a second glance at the tables around him. "I also have other tables I need to tend to, so I'll catch you later."
I watch him duck into the other section of the restaurant before I start eating. Soon after I start, I realize I'm too tired to down much food, so I leave after saying a quick bye to my friend. When I get back to my apartment, the first thing I do is collapse on my bed. I smile instantly as I melt into the mattress. It was marvelous.
It's around noon when I wake up. I still had boxes that needed to be unpacked, so I get to work. It takes a while to place everything down and in the right spot, but when I do quiet some time has passed.
I finally muster up the courage and head outside. I make a right and stop in front of Mr. Zureich's door. I take a deep breath.
I can do this.
I reach out a knock. Seconds pass and there is no response. I knock again, except harder this time. Still nothing. I scratch the back of my neck.
Maybe he's out?
I sigh and turn back, going into my room. "...Now what?"
I trudge over to my couch and turn on the TV. At that same moment, I get an incoming call. It's from Luke.
"Hey," I say as I answer it.
"Yo. You busy?"
"Watching TV, yes. Why?"
"I was thinking about heading over there. I want to see your new place."
"I don't see why not."
"Awesome. I'll be there shortly then!"
"Kay," I finish as he hangs up. At least now I have something to do.
He shows up in no time at all. He also brought dinner. Before he walked inside, he whistled. "It looks pretty decent.
"Yeah, I know."
He does a full 360 then stops. "...Is that a pink fridge?"
"Shut up!" I scream causing him to laugh.
We walk into my living room and setup the food.
"Is this the lemon chicken?" I ask after taking a bite.
"The cheapest thing on the menu!" He replies proudly.
I smirk at him. "Gee, thanks."
"Anytime!" He stuffs some chicken into his mouth. "So did you talk to the guy?"
I shook my head. "I tried, but he wasn't home."
"How long ago was that?"
"Just before you got here."
"...Maybe you'll have better luck tomorrow?" I shrug saying, "Maybe."
Luke stays over pretty late and decides to leave around 9. "I have to go to work tomorrow; I gotta go."
"I'll see you," I say as I close the door behind him.
Once he's gone I make my way to my room. I jump on my mattress and prepare to let it take me away before I hear it.
"No," I have the courtesy to whisper. "Have some mercy."
It doesn't comply to my wishes.
I stand up, walk into my living room, and lay on the couch. It doesn't really change anything, but it's better.
I pull the pillow over my head again.
I just want to sleep!
I cry silently to myself.
It finally stops. Again. I look at the clock. 5:49 A.M. Then my phone rings.
"Yo," Luke says as I pick up.
I don't respond.
"Again? Two nights in a row?" He asks in disbelief.
"Yeah," I breathe.
"When did it stop this time?"
"Right before you called me."
"Now's your chance! Go talk to him!" With that, he hung up.
I slowly place my feet on the floor.
Come on! You aren't THAT tired!
I'm barely able to drag myself to my door. I swing it open and take six steps to my right, then I bang on his door.
No response.
I bang again.
...Still nothing.
I sigh deeply and return to my room. As soon as my head hits the pillow my phone rings.
"Hey, I'm gunna need you to come in. David is sick," Luke says instantly.
"...When?"
"Right about now."
I groan.
"Thanks man, I knew I could count on you."
I end the call and throw my phone to the wall, then I drag myself up to get dressed.

___

Should I continue this? Vote for more!