𝔻𝕒𝕪 - 𝟜𝟞

-Christian's P.O.V-
"Christian!" I hear Kaydan scream at the top of his lungs. I leap up immediately and bolt down the stairs to find a man with long brown
hair standing in my living room. He's wearing a pink plaid shirt, with khakis, and is offering money to Kaydan.
Once Kaydan sees me, he runs around the man and to my side.
I place my arm around him, holding him close, and stare the man down after he turns to face me.
"Christian, my boy!" He exclaims holding his hands out for a hug.
I don't move.
When he finally realizes I'm not going to retaliate, he lowers his arms. "Your sister told me you got a new toy-"
"He's not a toy," I growl.
He doesn't look at me. "...I just didn't think you'd plan on keeping it for this long," he digs into his pocket and pulls out a cigarette and a lighter.
"Dad," I call seconds before he lights it.
He finally locks eyes with me, making my blood turn cold. He exhales deeply averting his gaze. "I'll be outside."
My eyes follow him to the patio door, and he pulls it open. He proceeds to light his cigarette and takes a long draw, then breaths out.
I slowly begin to relax again and look down to Kaydan. "Are you okay?"
He nods. "Just startled. I didn't think he'd get here this early, let alone at 5 in the morning!"
"That's just how my dad is," I grumble.
He removes himself from my embrace and heads to the kitchen.
I stare at him in shock. "What are you doing?"
"Finishing your breakfast," he says calmly. "I'll just have to make double the portion since your father has arrived."
I watch him skillfully crack the eggs with one hand, and whisk them together in a bowl, before turning on the stove and getting some milk out. He pulls out an empty cup and fills it with the orange juice, then puts it back in the fridge.
After he poured the egg into the pan he notices I've been watching him. "Yes?"
I shake my head and smile. "I was just thinking about how amazing you are."
He blushes slightly and shrugs it off. "What makes you say that?"
"Even though my dad is right outside the door, you're holding it together quite well."
"Once you scream loud enough to wake the entire building, the nerves kind of leave with it," he grins. "Is there anything else he'd like?"
"No clue," I walk into the kitchen and grab the glass. "We never really ate breakfast together."
"How about you?"
"I'm okay with eggs," I sit at the table. "Is your bag packed?"
"What bag?"
"For school?"
I narrow my eyes at him. "Even you've noticed that there are more important things happening today."
"More important than your education?" He starts. "Please tell me."
"My dad is here."
He stares at me in silence as he flips the eggs in the pan.
I clear my throat and try again. "My dad is-"
"Oh, I heard you. I was hoping you'd have a better excuse."
"If you think I'm going to leave you alone with my father, you've got another thing coming.
"I have work today, remember?" He grabs a plate and puts my eggs onto them, and places a second plate at an empty seat across from me. "Any lunch suggestions?"
"Surprise me," I respond, digging in.
I hear the patio door open as my dad steps back inside. The smell of smoke follows him, and only grows stronger as he approaches me. "What is this?" He asks looking down at the plate prepared for him.
"Eggs," I answer simply.
He glares at Kaydan in the distance.
I glance over my shoulder to him and am instantly relieved when I see he's too busy humming a tune and prepping my lunch to notice my father. "Please don't look at him like that," I mutter recapturing my dad's attention.
"What happened to the live-in maid I hired for you?"
"I fired her. She wasn't needed."
"This is the thanks I get for providing you with this place?"
"It's saving you money, isn't it?"
"You know money is no object."
"Of course it's not."
Footsteps grow closer behind me and stop.
My dad looks up and flashes his smile. "So, how long have you been here...uh..."
"Kaydan," I state leaning back in my chair.
"Right, right!"
"I think a while is quite accurate! Also, I made those eggs for-"
My father holds up his hand. "I hate eggs."
"Oh...if there is anything else you would like-"
"To be quite frank I'd prefer you not to make me anything. Seeing how Christian was able to just 'pick you up', I don't know where you've been."
I slam an open palm on the table. "Dad."
He holds his hands up defensively. "I'm only being honest."
"That's alright!" Kaydan rests his hand on my shoulder and says, "I'm going to head over to my room to get ready for work. I expect you to be ready before I get back."
I turn to look at him and he gives me a small smile before heading to the door.
"If there isn't anything else you want with Christian, I suggest you leave. He has a busy day planned," he finishes closing it behind him.
"Quite the mouth on that one," my dad grumbles.
I ignore him and pick up the dishes.
"He's not going to do that for you?"
"He didn't even have to make me breakfast. That's is how relationships work." I quickly eat what my dad did not, and place the plates and cup in the sink. "Where are you staying?" I ask heading for the stairs.
"At the hotel 5 minutes down the street."
"Well that's where you're going to have to stay for the next 10 hours."
"I beg your pardon?"
"I'm not letting you stay here while I'm out," I call from the top of the stairs.
"And where are you going exactly?" "School," I finish closing the bathroom door.
-Kaydan's P.O.V-
I look at myself in my bathroom mirror and rub my eyes. I was only able to change into black slacks and a white button up since my toothbrush and jacket were still in Christian's room.
His dad is nothing like him. He's oddly friendly and looks nothing like a world renowned author. What the fuck am I suppose to do? I highly doubt Christian wants to hide this from him, and he didn't seem too surprised to see me this morning.
I splash water on my face. "Oh." I walk out of my bathroom and trough my seemingly empty room. I stop in the hallway in front of his door. "So just act normal then?" I hum with a grin. I open the door and see Mr. Zureich sitting on the sofa.
He looks up and locks eyes with me, not forgetting to show his smile. "Oh. You're back?"
"Is he upstairs?"
"He's still in the shower. He should be getting out soon."
"Okay." I close the door and head up the stairs. I can fell his eyes on me with every step I take.
Be cool, be cool!
I reach out to knock on the door, but it flies open. Christian reaches out and yanks me inside, then slams the door behind me. I'm greeted by a heavy mist and the sent of ocean breeze.
He pulls me into a hug and rests his face inside my neck.
"You are so wet!" I yell.
"I'm sorry," he responds.
I laugh and ruffle his hair, getting some water in my eye. "It's fine, I just wasn't expecting it. I came in here to brush my teeth! You have my toothbrush, remember?"
He slowly releases me and opens the cabinet behind me. He pulls out a second towel for his hair as I turn on the sink. I put toothpaste on my brush and peek up at the mirror. Christian had his towel wrapped tightly around his waist and was still drenched from head to toe. Usually if I brushed my teeth he'd still be in the shower.
"So," he begins snapping me out of my thoughts. "My dad." He meets my eyes in the mirror as he drys his hair.
"He seems nice enough," I reply after spitting into the sink.
"You don't have to lie to me."
"I'm not!" I continue brushing.
He walks over to my side, and I hand him his toothbrush I already put toothpaste on. He begins brushing his teeth by mirroring my actions a few seconds after I do them.
Top right...top left...bottom right...bottom left...fronts...bottoms...tongue...
I take a swig from the cup, and offer it to him as I spit out the water. I take the towel he used to dry his hair and dry my mouth. I try to dry off the rest of my clothes too, which fails. I hand him his towel and open the door, waiting for him to follow me out. Since my clothes were still slightly wet, a blast of cold air hits me, and tiny bumps leap out of my skin. I shiver and hear Christian chuckle. "This is your fault!"
"I can warm you up," he offers outstretching an arm.
"No thanks!"
"You might want to change though," he mumbles looking down at my shirt.
I follow his gaze and slam my arms against my chest to cover myself. "I-I-I WILL." I storm into his closet and shut the door. I run face first into a thick layer of clothing. I fumble around in the dark trying to feel for my jacket before giving up. "...L- Light please!" I hear a dull click outside the door and the small light bulb flickers to life in the ceiling. "Thank you," I whisper finding it. On my way out I grab a belt for Christian and shut the closet, then turn the light off after. "Do you have everything?" I ask, walking to the banister. I on my way down I glance into the living room and see his father. I pause.
I completely forgot...
I feel my face begin to heat up. "H-Hi," I fumble.
His smile is smaller this time. "Hello."
I look to the front door and see Christian putting on his shoes.
He turns to look at his father. "You should leave now."
"He can come with us," I offer internally stabbing myself in the head.
Christian stares at me. "What?"
"Splendid idea!" His father's smile fully returns. "I'd love to do some sight seeing!"
"It's just a school building," Christian groans.
"And seeing you go to school is such a sight to behold," he retaliates.
Christian sighs. "I'm driving since you did last time," he calls to me.
"Is it not his job to drive you around?" His father questions approaching us.
"A-Actually-"
"I keep telling you that's not how relationships work," Christian spits cutting me off, and pushing me behind him. "Kaydan isn't a toy and he sure as hell isn't some thing I just picked up off of the streets. He's not a maid, and he is no fucking employee. Kaydan is my boyfriend, father." He finishes glaring at him.
I can't see his father's face, but my heart stops beating as a thick silence enters the room. I clutch onto the back of Christian's shirt and hold my breath.
Christian's father leans to his side and smiles hugely at me.
I slowly return it. "I-I-I-"
"...My son actually likes you?" He questions.
I shrug and slowly nod, "I don't really understand it myself either!" I try to joke.
He walks right up to me and takes my hand in his. "I am so sorry for the trouble he has caused you this far, and I'm sorry if I came off as standoffish! I thought my son was still a night crawler, if you get what I mean. If there is anything you ever need, please let me know." He turns back to Christian who has yet to move. "I will be staying here for the next few days to observe this. I didn't know this was your current living situation. I'll be here when you come back from school. Please don't be late, you know I hate tardiness." With that he releases my hand and walks into Christian's guest room, closing the door.
I stand immensely puzzled. I reach out and tug on Christian's shirt. "Um...what was that?"
"That was my father," he sighs. "He's not going to leave your side until he leaves this state."