𝔻𝕒𝕪 - 𝟛𝟙

-Lucas' P.O.V-

We all stand quietly in the hallway.
Well that was abrupt.
Kaleb and Jonathan share a glance and Kyle is staring at the door with a hollow expression on his face.
A sigh is released from Kaleb's mouth grabbing my attention.
Kyle doesn't flinch.
"I'm going to Jonathan's place," Kaleb begins turning to face him. "You are welcome to tag along."
Kyle stays silent.
"I said-"
I step in front of him, cutting him off, and look down at him. "I'll take care of Kyle, alright?"
The smallest look of relief creeps across Kaleb's face and he folds his arms. "...If you say so." He skips over to Jonathan's side. "Shall we go?"
He nods then makes eye contact with me. "Please make sure he is at the airport by 4:15 A.M."
I give him a quick thumbs up and watch them descend the stairs. Once I can no longer hear their footsteps I immediately turn my attention to Kyle.
The tension was so thick I couldn't even find a knife to cut it with. The only thing I could hear was the sound of my blood rushing through my body. I could feel sweat begin to appear on my palms. I rub them together and swallow hard. "H- Hey," I say softly not to startle him.
He continues to stare at the door motionless.
"Kyle," I try again, this time reaching out and touching his arm.
He sways slightly and doesn't move much else.
I watch him intently.
He might actually be broken this time...
I remove my jacket and place it over his shoulders before wrapping it around his arms and pulling the hoodie over his head. "Up we go," I breath lifting him in the princess carry. He is surprisingly light. His body rests against my chest as I lift him a bit higher. "I guess you're stuck with me for another night."
After a pause he moves his hand to my shirt and clings to it lightly. "...Kay," whispers hiding his face in the shadow of the hoodie.
For some reason that causes my heart to race. I clasp my lips together and hold my breath to prevent myself from saying anything stupid. I clear my throat and walk into the elevator, and am especially conscious of the way it sinks as I enter it. I barely manage to push the button and stand in the front waiting for the elevator to move. The doors close and it starts to decline slowly.
Have elevators always been this slow?
It stops suddenly and the doors open revealing two girls who couldn't have been a day past 15.
They stare at me in awe.
"Good afternoon ladies," I smile trying to lighten the atmosphere. This was the first time I've actually seen other residents in Kaydan's building.
They return my smile, and the one on the right says, "We can take the next elevator."
I shake my head replying, "There's plenty of room."
"Are you sure?" The second one speaks up.
I waddle backwards revealing more room inside.
They pile inside and push the button I had already pushed. "Thank you."
"No problem."
When the doors close again it is deathly quiet. Kyle tightens his grip on my shirt. I lean my head over him to hear what he has to say. "What's wrong?"
He shakes his head into my chest.
I exhale softly. "Hang in there. We're almost out."
When the doors open and we all step off one of the girls call out to me. "C-Could I get a picture of you guys?"
I stare at her confused for a second.
"I don't mean to sound weird, it's just that you're really cute together."
I feel my face grow hot. "O-Oh, no! He's just feeling sick!"
She blushes in embarrassment. "I'm sorry! I didn't mean to-"
"It's fine," I partially laugh. We say our final goodbyes and I walk out to my car. I unlock the doors and place Kyle in the passenger seat, then hurry to my side. I get inside and start the car before taking a peek at him.
The hoodie was still over his head and he hardly seemed to be breathing.
I reach over and grab his hand, startling him slightly, and he doesn't move much else. "Just give him time." I pull out of the parking lot and head to the street. The second my wheels hit the road he squeezes my hand tightly.
-Kaleb's P.O.V-
Jonathan had parked in the parking lot somewhere close to the front. I was standing beside him and waiting for him to collect his things from the backseat. When he pulls back with his folder and bag he closes the door and locks his car.
We walk into the building through glass rotational doors and are greeted by the front desk and a bellhop prior to entering the elevator. We cross the lobby's tiles and stop inside. He pushes the 5 and we're off.
My heart slams against my chest as if angry for being detained. I direct my attention to my shoes and the ugly patterned carpet beneath them, then glance over at Jonathan. He is shuffling through the paper in is folder and whispering to himself. He usually does that before he stresses out. I cling to his sleeve causing his mumbles to stop.
"You're doing it again," I sigh.
"Doing what?" He asks bending the corner of his green paper organizer.
"Freaking out," I clarify.
"I'm your manager. It's my job to 'freak out'," he replies as the elevator stops. He's the first to step out, and I follow him down the hallway.
I found it odd that no matter how many times you entered a hotel it always smelled like a hotel, unlike a house where after time it's smell dissipates.
Jonathan opens his room with his card key, and I join him inside. He immediately walks over to the table and sits down at his laptop. He powers it to life and opens a separate envelope as it starts up. "Okay, I have a little over 12 hours to get this done. So many phone calls..."
His room was simple. It consisted of a TV placed in front of his bed, an arm chair in the corner, three lamps, and a table. It was just your standard hotel room.
I saunter over to his side and pull up an extra chair and sit in it. He's too absorbed in his work to really acknowledge my presence, but he moves over to give me space without looking at me, almost as if he's only doing it because he was programmed to.
I sigh deeply. "Don't you think you should take a break?"
"Remember Kaydan's place?" "That doesn't count!"
"I rest my case."
I fold my arms upset.
He finally looks at me. "Don't you think you should take a nap or something?"
I raise an eyebrow at him. "I'm not tired."
"You seem cranky."
That's because you're...fuck this means nothing if I don't say it out-
"That's because you're ignoring me."
"I am not. I'm talking to you right now, aren't I?"
I stare him deep in the eyes and see nothing but genuine concern and full attention. The only problem was, he looks at everyone that way. I unfold my arms and stand up. "I'm going out." I walk over to the front door and turn the knob.
"Kaleb, where are you going?"
"To eat. I'm hungry," I open the door then slam it behind me.
"Just be back before 10!" He calls after me.
I wait for a good 4 minutes to see if he'd chase after me.
And of course, he doesn't.
I take a deep breath and set off for the elevator. I step inside and push the first floor button. I arrive then head through the front door, and onto the streets.
I'm just destined to be alone. Neat. I'm fine with that.
I continue to walk farther down the sidewalk and tears start forming in my eyes. For every drop I wipe, two more form. Everyone around starts to avoid and try not to pay any attention to me. I stop walking altogether and crouch in place allowing the tears to fall freely. "I'm pathetic," I attempt to laugh. In a matter of seconds I'm kicked in the back.
"I'm so sorry!" The person explains almost falling on the floor.
I look up to see a guy wearing a white button up and suit vest with black pants. His hair is a brown mess and his eyes are shimmering a light brown in the light. I slowly shake my head standing up. "It was my bad, I was in your-"
"Are you hungry?" He asks.
I stare at him puzzled wiping away the last of my tears.
"Uh, food?" He tries, "Tummy grumbly?" He motions both eating and rubs his stomach. "Man, I shouldn't have dropped Spanish this year."
"I speak English," I state bringing a smile to his face.
"Thank God! I almost panicked there! So is that a yes to food?"
I shrug as he grabs my wrist.
"Awesome, let's go. I'm running late!" I get helplessly dragged behind him and through the sea of people. "By the way, what's your name?"
I take a second to debate telling him and figure that I have nothing to lose. "Kaleb...with a K."
"I like it," he says with a laugh. "I'm Jasper, with a J. Pleasure to meet you."