𝔻𝕒𝕪 - 𝟝𝟡

-Jasper's P.O.V-
Feet begin shuffling into the house and the door closes abruptly.
"Either I punch the fuck out of you, or I can call the cops right now to save your life. Ultimately, the decision is yours," I manage to hear a voice coming from the front.
Might as well get my ass kicked. I've got nothing else to lose.
I stay motionless in my chair. My arms are weighing down my shoulders and pressing my cheek down harder on the counter. You'd think that my neck would've started hurting by now, but I can't feel much of anything anymore.
"You too?" my shoulder is shoved and my body just follows the movement.
I think about nodding and hope it's enough to encourage my head to move. Unsurprisingly, it's not.
A muffled conversation carries out behind me, which I'm happy I don't have to be a part of. I close my eyes and let my thoughts take the wheel.
"Bethany thinks that you guys are a distraction," Mr. Green says to Luke and me. "She thinks this is just some phase, and if she takes her son's back for awhile they will forget all about you."
"No way in hell," Kyle steps up. "I would've left earlier if I didn't-" he stops becoming somewhat embarrassed. "...feel the way that I do," he finishes reaching for Luke's hand and holding onto it.
Kaleb latches onto my arm and says, "As repetitive as his idiotic mannerisms are, I'm not bored yet. The day I can predict what he's gunna do..." he trails off.
"Is the day I'll be proposing to you?" I finish for him with a smile.
"Definitely not the time!" Kaleb shouts hitting me.
"You're right," I continue, "you need to be around for a couple of years before that happens."
"Since I've known you for a while, does that mean I propose now?" Luke asks Kyle.
Kyle's mouth opens and closes frequently as his cheeks heat up.
A solitary clap reverberates in our bubble bringing our collective attention back to Mr. Green.
It looks as if he holding back a laugh and there is a smile plastered on his face. "As cute as your 'friends' are, this is exactly what Bethany is talking about. Distractions," he motions to Luke and myself before focusing back on his sons. "Do you guys even remember your lines?"
Kyle and Kaydan look up to the ceiling as if they had glued their scripts up their earlier.
When they don't have answer to father's question he asks, "Okay, do you remember the scenes where you guys left off?"
"It's been awhile, okay?" Kaleb whines stepping forward.
"It doesn't matter how long it's been. You guys never have problems with this sort of thing," Mr. Green sighs. "I can understand where your mother is coming from, but the difference is, I trust your judgments. Your mother needs a little more evidence."
"So what does she want?" Kyle asks slightly annoyed.
"For you to finish the movies you are shooting. If you guys finish and choose to
come back here to pursue a different career, she will know that's what you want."
"Which means-" Kyle starts.
"-she wants us to go back," Kaleb completes. Mr. Green nods.
I jump in my chair at the sound of Luke screaming, "I don't want to!"
After that it returns to louder muffles between him and the other party.
Who is here again?
"Get up," an elbow enters my back, and the only reason I wince is because of muscle memory, "Jasper, it's not that bad!"
I slide my face back on the counter to see who is talking to me. "Kaydan," I whisper at him.
"You look like shit," he folds his arms across his chest at glares daggers at me.
I feel like my shoulders shrugged, so I don't reply.
He shoves my arm and to be honest, I'm remembering how it feels to be pissed off again. "Stop ignoring me. Say something."
I guess I only think the word "stop", because he pushes me again.
"You guys are pathetic," he mumbles, "They are going to come back!"
"If they remember us!" Luke cries.
"Oh my god! They're only going to be gone for, what...a month?"
"If they're able to remember all of their lines and deliver them flawlessly!"
Please don't remind me.
My head feels heavier and I shut my eyes.
-Christian's P.O.V-
I finally decide to get out of bed and drag myself downstairs to get some breakfast. My headache was practically gone, so I was hoping the same case was for Kaydan. I grab a blue plate from the cupboard and turn the flame under the pan on to heat up my eggs. It's been a while since I've had some time to myself. I take a breath and look over my living room. The TV is off, and the sofas look as if they haven't been used once. The guest room door is closed and the balcony is as empty as ever.
A breeze blows down my shirt and I jump back, slamming my shoulder to my fridge.
Ow. What was that?
I look up and see an A/C vent above me.
When did that get there?
I wrap my hands around my arms.
Has it always been this cold?
I hear the floor creak in my living room and snap my neck in that direction. I carefully inspect the area with my eyes before shaking my head.
I try to bear the cold for a little longer, but soon realize I can't. I groan frustrated and head back up the stairs to grab a hoodie. As I walk across my room my phone vibrates twice on my bed. I take a detour and grab it, laying flat on my stomach on Kaydan's side of the bed. I inhale his scent and hide a smile in his pillow.
Roses don't smell that bad.
I glance around the emptiness of the room knowing he won't be coming out of the bathroom or up the stairs.
I miss him.
I pick up my phone and scan the screen.
I have two missed messages. The first one if from my father.
Father: Hey son! Sorry for leaving so soon last night! Something weird came up! Haha, I'm planning on heading over to see Kaydan at his job today, so if I stop by your place it probably won't be until later tonight. Have a fun day learning at school!
I contemplate my reply and forge the perfect message.
Kaydan is going to be bothered by you.
I instantly get a answer.
Father: He's fine!
Father: Right?
Father: I haven't bothered him before...right?
I ignore him and look at my second message. It's from Simon.
Simon: Where are you?
I bring Kaydan's pillow to my chest and press it against my mouth before flipping over onto my back.
Not at school.
I rotate again landing on my stomach and swing my feet in the air watching him type back a response.
Simon: So you're home?
Why?
I'm outside.
I sit up in crisscross position and rest Kaydan's pillow across my lap.
Outside where?
I throw my phone on the bed and stand up, finally abandoning Kaydan's pillow to find a hoodie. I push many hangers past until I find a blue one. I rip it down and pull it over my head, keeping my arms trapped against my sides. I turn and hobble back to the bed and try landing hard enough to flip my phone over.
My phone dances farther away from me, but flips over none the less. I can barely read the message he sent me. My father also managed to shoot me a message before Simon replied.
Father: Please don't ignore me. Have I bothered him?
Simon: Your apartment.
I force my arms out of the appropriate holes and slam my feet on the ground.
I swear if this kid is seriously outside...
I quickly reply to my father:
Ask him yourself.
Then toss my phone back before I storm down the stairs and straight out my door. I make it to the stairwell and slide down the flights of sitars before making it to the lobby. I wave to Mr. Cooms-he nervously smiles at me-and stop short.
Simon was sitting in a chair beside the elevator. When he notices me he smiles as he stands up.
"What are you doing here?" I suppress a growl.
"S-Skipping a t-test," he walks towards me, "and I f-f-figured hanging with you c-could be fun."
"It won't be. Go home."
"D-Don't you want t-to impress K-Kaydan with the new f-f-friend you made?"
"Not really."
"I-I brought you a t-test review and I c-can help you with c-calculus,"
I close my eyes and exhale deeply from my nose. "I'm going upstairs," I turn back the way I came and start for the stairs. When I open the door I hold it to make sure it doesn't slam in his face. After he enters I head up the stairs, but not as quickly as I usually do to make sure I match his pace.
We make it to the top of the stairs and I turn to my right, heading for my door. I smell something a bit off and look at Simon. Judging my his facial expression he smells it too.
What the fuck is-
"My eggs!" I lunge for my door and rip it open unleashing smoke from inside my apartment.
Simon rushes in and throws open the door to my balcony and I run to turn off the flame. He grabs a dish rag and fans the fumes outside as I stare at what used to be my breakfast.
"Wh-Why didn't the smoke a-alarm go off?" He asks coming back over to me.
"The batteries died," I sigh defeated.
"A-And you never ch-changed them?"
I shake my head. "I wasted Kaydan's eggs," I mope sinking to my knees.
He'll never cook for me again.
"There is a-a bigger problem here!" Simon yells down at me. When I don't reply he massages his head. "Wh-Where's your ladder?"
I slowly point in the direction of a closet. I hear him make his way over to the storage area.
A few clicks echo in the house before he says, "The light i-isn't working."
"The light bulb is dead," I scream frustrated. I don't understand why he's so worried about this stuff when it's not even that important. Does he even care about-
"H-Have you even changed y-your water filter?"
I narrow my eyes at him. "Why the hell are you critiquing my apartment right now?"
"Because you c-could've burned down th-the building," he bites back. "A-Answer the question!"
"I don't even know what that is!"
A silence passes between us.
Why is he even in my room again?
He finally turns away from me and grabs the pan on the stove.
"Hey!" I shout as he tosses the eggs in the trash, "I was still going to eat those!" I finish as he throws the pan in the sink.
"T-Too bad," he retorts resting his hands on his knees to get down to my level, "we're d-doing maintenance."