Chapter 7 - Part 2

I was a bundle of nerves as time ticked by and Lacey's surgery drew near. I was avoiding Aiden and any interaction with him. It was for the best.

In my emotional state I couldn't keep a clear head where he was concerned and I couldn't allow anything more to happen between us.

There was a good chance Max wouldn't be able to forgive me for what I had done already but I held onto the hope that he would be able to understand. I scoffed at myself. If I didn't complete understand myself how could I expect him to.

The build up was intense and I fidgeted and paced until I got to a point I wanted to scream, so hard just to get rid of the turmoil inside but I didn't. I kept it inside, smothering the need release the pressure inside.

Everyone was taking strain: in the looks shared by her parents, the way Alex paced non stop and the way Adonis looked at Lacey when he didn't think anyone was watching.

My parents kept calling for updates but there wasn't much to tell them. I told them I let them know when Lacey began her surgery.

No one wanted to rush it. Every moment we had with her we wanted. But inevitably the time for her surgery arrived. The pressure that had been building up inside me felt like it was going to break free but I fought to keep it inside.

How I stood and watched Lacey interact with each loved one and didn't break down I will never know.

When it came to my turn and hugged her. "I'll see you soon."

She held me a little tighter before she released me. "I could never tell you how much your friendship has meant to me." She was emotional and I swallowed hard.

"Same." I didn't want to say goodbye, I couldn't write her off while she was still here with me.

I couldn't talk to her like she wasn't coming back. Holding her gaze, I kept myself from breaking down.

"You'll be fine. And when you come out I'll be here."

She nodded.

I gave her hand a reassuring squeeze before I moved so she could talk to Aiden.

A few feet away I stood watching my friend's last moments before she went into surgery, with all the fears and the hope that she would make it through it.

Her life hung in the balance and the odds weren't in her favour.

When Adonis was the last one to speak to Lacey, I was transfixed. I had always told her that he had liked her, I had seen it when he thought no one had been watching. Now as I watched him talk to her softly, my heart ached.

They had overcome so much and instead of looking forward to their future they were both facing a situation where they might not have one. It was too much to take in.

Lacey didn't deserve this and neither did Adonis. The unfairness was crippling.

Adonis pressed his lips to hers and felt the tears sting. I closed my eyes briefly feeling the pain of what they were going through wash over me.

When I opened my eyes they spoke softly for a few more moments before he kiss her forehead gently. For someone so young he was handling it better than I would have if I had been in his shoes.

Two nurses arrived to take Lacey. I wanted to panic and stop them. I curled my hands into fists and fought the urge to have a full blown panic attack in front of my everyone including my friend. She needed me to be strong, and I would honour that.

Everyone watched silently as they moved her out of the room. I saw the glimmer of fear in her eyes in the last moment I caught sight of her before she disappeared from my view.