Chapter 9 - Part 1

Reece

One hour became two. Then another passed. I felt jittering and anxious. I couldn't even look at coffee anymore. I had hit my caffeine limit. The vending machine nearby had lost its appeal hours ago. My eyes fixed on the doors I was watching, hoping the surgeon would walk through them to tell us everything had gone well.

But for a moment I had to fight the fear that he could very well give us the worst news. I shook my head. No I couldn't even consider that possibility.

Max rang and I made my way to the edge of the waiting room, as far away as I could get from Aiden who was watching.

"Hey," I breathed, feeling the weight of what I had just done with Aiden weighing on every word I spoke.

"How's things going?" he asked.

I let out a heavy breath. "The waiting is the worst."

There was silence.

"If you need me, I can be there in ten minutes."

It was the last thing I needed. What if he could see the betrayal? What if he picked up on the awkwardness between Aiden and I? I couldn't chance it. Besides I had enough on my plate with Lacey, I couldn't cope with anymore.

"Thanks but I'm okay. Hopefully it's only going to take a few more hours."

"Let me know how it goes."

"I will." I ended the call. I have never felt more disconnected from him.

Even now I could still feel the imprint of Aiden's hands on my body and the pressure of his mouth against mine. I lifted my hand to touch my lips.

Had Lacey's illness been the start of the decline of my relationship with him? At the same time my connection with Aiden had strengthen to such an extent I had thrown everything to the wind to hook up with him in the janitor's closet. I was still mortified at my actions. This wasn't who I was. As someone who had been cheated on more than once I knew what it felt like to be in Max's shoes. How could I do this to him?

Right now I couldn't even look at myself or Aiden. I was just trying to hang onto the last bit of calm and sanity I possessed to keep my shit together.

When I had returned from my hook up with Aiden I soothed my hair afraid someone would see something to reveal what we had just done but thankfully no one noticed. My shame was my secret. And I was thankful for that. What would Lacey think of my thoughtless actions?

Back in my chair I linked my hands oblivious to those around, locked in my own hell hole of guilt. I tried to keep my thoughts from thinking the worst outcome for Lacey. But no matter how hard I tried I couldn't keep Aiden from entering my thoughts much to my own disgust. He sat only a few chairs away from him and I swear I could feel the heat of his gaze on me.

I wanted to concentrate on how I was going to help my friend recover from the surgery.

I was hoping for the best case scenario where she would recover in a week or two and be the same Lacey I had known for years.

It felt like an eternity and then the doors opened. Dr Clark, Lacey's surgeon walked into the waiting room. I shot up to my feet, feeling slightly dizzy. I studied his features as he cleared his thought. I couldn't tell if it was going to be good or bad. Then I felt someone take my hand and I realised Aiden stood beside me. No one else noticed. I shouldn't have felt strength in his touch but I did. I squeezed his hand tightly as I waited for the surgeon to reveal what happened.

"We got it out."

Everything else he said I didn't hear. I held onto the his words. We got it out.