Chapter 11 - Part 2

After I had a good cry and managed to pull myself together I called Aiden to give him a heads up. I didn't want Max to confront Aiden without him being prepared.

"How did he take it?" he asked.

How did anybody that take that kind of news?

"Not well," I murmured. It was a bit of an understatement but I couldn't emotionally wade into the details.

"Can we meet up to talk?" he asked, cautiously.

I sighed and sat down on my bed. I felt like I had been through the emotional wringer and remembering the betrayal in Max's eyes was enough to take away my breath momentarily. I didn't think I was strong enough to face how I felt about Aiden and what it meant. Honestly I still didn't know what he meant to me. How could I have an in-depth talk about the two of us when I couldn't even answer the simplest question of how I felt about him?

"I've been patient Reece."

I remained quiet as I looked up to the ceiling.

"The thing is I don't know how I feel about you," I finally admitted. "How can we have a conversation about what happened between us when I can't even figure how I feel about you?"

The was silence.

"I appreciate your honesty but I think you at least owe me a face to face talk about it. There are some things I need to say to you."

There was no avoiding it and he was right. The least I could do was meet up with him so he could tell me what he wanted to.

"Fine."

"Can I come over now?"

It was the last thing I wanted but I knew I had put this off for long enough. It was best to get it over and done with.

"Fine." I answered.

"I'll see you soon."

I wasn't looking forward to it but it needed to be done.

My feet felt like lead when I heard the doorbell go about fifteen minutes later. This was the last thing I wanted to do but it had to be done. Like a bandaid, the quicker you ripped it off the quicker the pain was over. This was the same concept.

I opened the door and the sight of Aiden hit the rawness still left in my chest from my confrontation with Max. And I debated whether this was a good idea in my current emotional state.

I stepped back to let him in before I closed the door behind him. We went into the living room and I sank down into the sofa.

"How are you?" he asked, sitting beside me.

I shrugged. "Shitty."

Before this I had been the one who had been cheated on, the one who had been wronged. Not once did I think the ex-boyfriend who had broken my heart would have felt as low as I did. Maybe he had also had reasons he couldn't explain that had caused him to act out of character.

"What did you tell him?" he asked.

"I told him the truth. He was understandably angry and upset." I rubbed my forehead.

"How did it end?"

I let out an emotional breath. "He pretty much such said we didn't have anything special if I could have done that to him."

His words still hurt, even if they held some truth.

"And how does that make you feel?"

I frowned. "What does it matter?"

"It matters."

"I feel awful...horrible."

He studied me for a few moments.