Chapter 4 - Part 1

After Aiden left I was not only still trying to deal with what was happening to Lacey but I was confused about why I was starting to look at Aiden in a different way. Was I getting confused? He was being a supportive friend and nothing else. What was wrong with me? Not only was I dealing with the fear for my friend I was filled with disgust over how I was starting to look at Aiden differently. Was it because he was supporting me through a difficult stage. Max had tried to be understanding but he would never understand the way Aiden did.

When I sat down on my bed and looked at my phone I decided to call Lacey and check on her. I didn't want her to be going through such a difficult time without having me to lean on. I was her friend through thick and thin even when I was struggling to keep it together myself.

"Hi," she answered. She sounded sad.

"Hey you," I said, trying to sound more upbeat than I felt. "Why have you been avoiding my calls?"

She paused and it made my nervousness spike.

"Can you come over?" she asked and it confirmed there was something not right. My hand shook slightly as I held my phone against my ear.

"Sure," I answered, trying to keep my voice light. No matter what I was feeling I had to keep it together to support her.

I wondered if she wanted to tell me about her delaying her surgery. I was thankful Aiden had already told me it allowed me to process it before I had to face her. It would make it easier to handle it when I saw her.

I was still feeling anxious when I arrived at her house and rung the doorbell.

She opened it and I crossed my arms. "You better have a good explanation for avoiding me," I told her when she let me in.

She went to the kitchen and I followed behind her.

"Do you want something to drink?" she asked turning to face me.

She looked fragile and sad and my initial anger at her avoiding me began to disappear.

"No," I replied while I studied her.  "What's wrong?"

She sighed. It was heavy and emotional.

"I'm delaying the surgery." I pretended to be surprised. 

"Why? Is that what the surgeon said?" I asked trying to ask questions I would have had I not been told prior of her decision. "I thought he'd do the surgery as soon as possible."

She gripped the kitchen counter as she leaned against it.

"I don't want to have the surgery straight away," she explained. 

"Why?" I asked, taking a step closer. I just wanted her to be okay. Delaying her surgery would make it more difficult and risky.

"I'm scared I won't make it through the surgery." I saw a glimpse of her fear, the same fear I had been feeling for her. Her eyes watered and reached out to touch her arm. I didn't want to see her like this. My fear was one thing but seeing hers brought home the reality of her situation.

"The surgeon explained that any delay would impact on my odds of surviving," she added hoarsely.

"I know you're scared but you have to have the surgery," I urged her. I wanted her to be okay and to make it through the surgery. The sooner she had the tumour the better her chances of survival. While I understood her fear, I feared for what would happen if she didn't do the surgery as soon as possible.

"The odds are against me and I want some time with the people I love. It's not like I'm asking for another six months. All I want is a couple of weeks."