Chapter 12 - Part 2

He didn't reply to the second message either. I should have knew what that meant and left but something else, I couldn't describe, kept me there.

Was it the fear that I had lost him already? I released a heavy breath, trying to stop myself from believing the worst. Never once had I considered that my silence would push him away. Had I been so self centered I had not given a thought to how this would affect him?

The front door opened and I watch as he walked over to my car. He was dressed in sweats and a shirt. The sight of him stirred something inside of me and there was no way for me to deny the attraction I felt for him. My heart felt like it came alive and I felt my hands shake.

I could try and brush my previous actions on the crazy stress do Lacey's situation but I felt the truth was somewhere along the way I had started to look at him like a guy and not Aiden. Did it matter when it had happened? Probably not. The most important thing was it had.

I nervously clutched my hands unsure of what I was going to say. Something like 'saw you with a blonde earlier and wanted to make sure something wasn't happening between the two of you because I still haven't made up my mind on whether I want to be with you or not' didn't seem fair.

He stood by the passenger door and I unlocked it. He opened the door and got inside.

"Why are you here Reece?" he asked, refusing to look at me, instead he kept his eyes straight ahead. His body language stiff and unwelcoming.

"I saw you tonight..." I didn't know how to explain my rash actions. Clearly, I hadn't thought any of this through or the fact that my presence might be unwelcome.

He faced me. His expression tight. It wasn't a good sign. I wasn't sure why I had expected a different reaction.

"So I don't hear from you in weeks and then you see me at a party. And now what? I should thank my lucky stars you graced me with your presence?" His voice dropped with sarcasm.

I sighed trying to find the right words to articulate what had kicked me into action. "I never meant for it go on for this long."

I swallowed. "I saw you with a girl."

It wasn't exactly how I wanted to start the conversation but I couldn't seem to think straight when he was around.

"So that is what this is about." He gave a hollowed laugh. "You're jealous?"

He looked incredulous and I knew I had made a mistake by coming.

"So I don't hear a word out of you after I told you how I felt about you but the moment you see me with someone else, then suddenly you're interested enough to show up at my house in the middle of the night." He shook his head.

I wanted to reach out to him and hold onto whatever had pulled us together so powerfully, it had left a trail of destruction in our path.

"Is it serious?" I couldn't stop myself from wanting to know despite his anger. For reasons I couldn't explain, I had to know.

He stared at me like he couldn't believe the direction of the conversation.

"That's none of your business." He made it clear that he did not owe me any kind of explanation. "It's none of your business who I might be sleeping with or not. Or who I might be dating or not."

His words gutted me. I didn't want to see him with anyone else. In that moment any indecision on my part evaporated and I knew without a doubt that I wanted to be the one he was with.

How had we ended up so far away from where we had started off? I had ruined it. Instead of taking a chance on him and a possible future I had stuck my head in the sand afraid to make another mistake.