Chapter 9 - Part 2

"I'm not this person," I whispered. "I don't cheat. I don't sleep around."

I dropped my bag. Aiden's arms wrapped around me and hugged me close. "Neither do I."

His breath fanned against my neck and I felt very aware we were alone his room, with a bed.

But this wasn't the reason I had come over. I know after everything I had experienced with him this was the last place I should be. There was no was to explain why I didn't want to or couldn't be anywhere else.

I turned to face him. "I can't do anything..."

He frowned and dropped him arms to his sides.

"I know we have um this ...thing but I honestly just wanted some company. I'm scared if I'm on my own I'm just going to focus on all the things that can still go wrong. Does that make sense?"

I had asked so much of him already, was it really fair to ask him for more under the circumstances?

"I get it." He nodded. "I feel so wired up I'm not sure how I'm going to get any shut eye."

I looked to his bed. "I need sleep more than anything right now." The lack of sleep and worry had taken everything out of me. I didn't have much left.

"You wanna shower?" he nodded in the direction of the adjoining door on his room.

I nodded. I got my stuff and headed in.

"Give me a minute. I'll get a towel for you."

I gripped the sink and took a deep breath before releasing, trying to rid myself from the build up of emotions inside of me. It had been a rough day and I had made a monumental mistake I would still have to face.

But just for tonight I wanted to forget about everything. Just for a few hours.

In the morning I would pick my worries up where I had discarded them briefly and do what I had to. Even when it was hard.

"Here," Aiden said from the slightly open doorway.

"Thanks." I took it from him. "I wont be long."

He shrugged. "Take your time."

He closed the door behind him and I stayed there thinking about him. The more time I spent around him the more time I wanted to spend with him. He had a way of calming me in a way I couldn't explain. But he made me do crazy things. I closed my eyes briefly when I thought about what we had done in the janitor's closet at the hospital. I was mortified.

Tired, I dragged myself through a shower and I felt a little more human once I had a sleep shirt and shorts on. I brushed my teeth before I left the bathroom.

Aiden was laying on the bed. He was sleeping.

I walked over to the bed and watched him while he was oblivious. Something tugged inside my chest and I put my hand to my chest to stop it. I couldn't be falling for him already, could I?

Not only had I physically cheated on Max, I had added emotional cheating to it as well.

I wanted to touch him, to glide her hand through his hair but I kept my hand fixed to my side.

He had come into my life and turned everything up side down. I didn't even know if I could deal with the repercussions. And here was I was studying him like some love sick puppy.

What was wrong with me?

I switched off all the lights and got into the bed. I pulled the covers up to my chin and I lay on my side facing him.

Closing my eyes, I willed myself to sleep but I stayed wide awake. No matter how much I fidgeted, tossed or turned I could not fall asleep.

I glared resentfully at Aiden who was peacefully sleeping beside me. He was still lying on his back. I frowned as I moved a little closer. For a few moments I waited to see if he would awake. Then I moved a little closer. Until finally I rested my head on his shoulder.