Chapter 14 - Part 2

I felt like I was in the twilight zone. The guy I had hurt wanted me back and the guy I had cheated on him with didn't want me anymore. This not the way I had expected this to go down and I wasn't sure what to do next.

The silence between Max and I stretched on.

"The thing is..." I paused, trying to find the right words. I had decided earlier on with Aiden to be honest and I was determined to keep to that decision. Lying to protect his feelings would only bring more confusion. He needed the truth. "It's just um...I'm still hung up on Aiden."

There I had said it and I felt like such a fool for being interested in someone that wasn't interested in being just with me. Maybe that was the payback for cheating on Max. The karma for being deceitful.

Or maybe the Karma was being on the other end this time, and being given insight to why someone would cross that line. It wasn't always a selfish screwed up reason. Not that I wanted to justify what I had done to Max, but it wasn't as clear cut as making the choice to hurt someone. What happened between Aiden and I had been been caused by the situation with Lacey. I never believed for a second that things would have happened between us if it hadn't been for Lacey's condition and subsequent surgery.

"I remember how it was between us before Lacey got sick. I know what I felt for you and I know what you felt for me. Right now, you don't remember and that's fine but I don't want to give up on something I know is worth fighting for," Max said and I bit my lip.

I cared for him but I didn't for a second believe it was in the same way I had before. Like I had told Aiden before, I was a one man woman. I liked Aiden, there was no room for Max.

I was hesitant to give him any encouragement when I didn't feel it was something that could happen but right in that moment I had reached my limit. I had done as much honesty as I could take and it was just easier to let it slide.

"Let's just see how it goes," he said, with a wink which made me smile.

I nodded.

He smiled and it was to see him seem happy again, even if I didn't believe it would last.

"I got to go but I'll call you later," he said as he rose.

I followed him out and as we reached the door he stopped.

He turned to face me and lifted a hand to touch my hair. "I love the hair."

Self consciously I touched my hair. "Thanks."

Then he smiled and exited the house. I watched as he left.

Nothing made sense when I closed the door and leaned against it.

I was in that same mood when Lacey called me later that evening wanting to go out.

"Honestly, after the day I've had I just want to drink it all away," I muttered grumpily.

"What happened?"

It was on the tip of my tongue but I knew I couldn't mention Aiden. She had forgotten completely about him, at this point he was a stranger she wouldn't recognise at all.

"You know, just boys," I answered.

"Boys suck," she said and hit him my heart like a sledge hammer.

She didn't know the boy she had loved for so long, loved her back just as much. It was heartbreaking to watch. I had spent the last few weeks praying that she would remember something but so far she hadn't remembered a thing.

I got ready to go out and then I went past Lacey's house to pick her up.

"I just want to forget all the bad things and just be happy, even if it's just for tonight," I sighed. It felt like I had been under such intense pressure for so long and I just wanted to kick loose.

No guilt, no emotions, and definitely no boys.

"That makes two of us," Lacey said.

I gave her side glance, frowning as I took in the slump in her shoulders. She had been through so much. Physically she was on the mend but it was what couldn't be seen that I worried about. I had a sense that there was something deeper going on. I would try my best to keep up her spirits but I was worried that I wouldn't be able to help her.

This time we went to a party on campus. There was a frat house party that a friend had invited me to and at the time I hadn't wanted to go but what was a mind if you couldn't change it.

There were times I wished I lived on campus but I loved living at home. My parent's let me come and go as I pleased and they did everything for me so I could concentrate on my classes and studying. But one day I would need my independence but it didn't have to be right now.

Besides I had so much going on right now I didn't have it in me at the moment. There were more important things than that or Aiden. My eyes sent to Lacey.

That was what was important to me. My Friend.

I parked a few houses away from the house where the party was.

"Come on," I said to Lacey as we both got out of the car. "We're going to go and have fun. No boys just fun. You and me."

I hooked my arm through hers and she gave me a smile that didn't feel genuine but I took it at face value. I pulled her closer.

"Okay. You, me and fun," she said, this time her smile didn't seem put on. "I can do that."

"That's my girl."

For a fraction of a second it felt like the old days, and the Lacey before the tumor.

It was crowded and I could feel the sweat drip down my back as I took a long sip of my drink. Lacey was dancing while I stood on the side lines watching.

She'd had a lot to drink and I was set on n staying sober enough to drive us home safely. I didn't know the two guys dancing with Lacey but I kept a cautious eye on where their hands were. I didn't want anyone taking advantage of my friend who was really drunk. There was definitely something up with Lacey and I wasn't sure how to fix or handle it.

The fact was our fun night out to relax had turned into a night of me watching my friend drink excessively, which wasn't something she usually did.

I checked my watch, it was past midnight and I was tired so I finished my drink and approached Lacey.

"Come on, it's time to go," I told her loudly enough for her to hear me over the loud music.

She smiled at me and put her arm around me. "I love you."

I smiled back affectionately. "I love you too."

She was unsteady on her feet but I got her to the car more easily than I had expected. The drive to her house didn't take long. She was quiet and broody. Not the same Lacey I was used to. I hope it was just a matter of time before she worked her way through whatever she was going through.

I had tried talking to her about it by asking how she was coping and stuff but she never opened up even though I knew there was something bugging her. But I couldn't make her share, she had to decide that for herself.

I got her back to her house and safe in her bed before I left to drive home.

I tried to be as quiet as possible when I entered my house, for fear of waking up my parents. Slowly, I removed my sandals and climbed the creaking stairs.

When I entered my room I didn't immediately turn on the light as I closed the door behind me and placed my shoes by my closet.

I knew my way around my room and moved to my bedside table to switch on my lamp.

My heart dropped right out of my chest and bounced right back into place when I saw Aiden sitting in my comfy chair by my window.

"What are you doing here?" I gasped. My heart raced in my chest.