Chapter 17 - Part 2

I was still trying to figure out if I should leave Aiden until he had time to cool off or if it was better to talk to him and sort things out before they became something we couldn't work through.

Max took me to pick up my car.

"Thanks," I said as I got in and he stood beside it.

"You're welcome Reece."

"You're a good guy Max. You deserve better than I treated you. I will always regret how I screwed things up."

He nodded. "Do you think it would have happened if Lacey hadn't been sick?"

I knew the answer to that but did it really matter now. Lacey had gotten sick and things had happened between Aiden. There was no undoing what had happened.

"I'm sorry Max."

He sighed and hung his head. "It sucks but it is what it is."

I was relieved he was finally accepting that there was no going back. We were over. Even if things didn't work out with Aiden, we would not be getting back together.

"I know it sounds like a line but it's true. When you meet the right girl, you will be happy and you'll be so glad you never wasted anymore time on me."

Lacey's tumor had pulled Aiden and my path together but the truth was if it hadn't been Aiden it probably would have been someone else.

Max, was nice and dependable. He was what I had needed at that point in time but deep down I knew it wouldn't have lasted. I had always needed the hot, can't keep your hands off each other type of attraction. The way I felt about Aiden. 

He lifted his eyes to meet mine. "I hope he makes you happy."

"Thanks Max," I murmured, not sure if it was possible to fix things with Aiden.

I loved him and he wanted to be with me. Why wasn't it that simple? It was the only factors that counted, surely?

With a hot and heavy attraction usually came with a volatility that would end up tearing it apart. The odds weren't good for Aiden and I.

I left and went home. For most of the journey home I debated whether to go to Aiden's house.

I didn't know if I could do another confrontation or handle him but I decided it was best to go and see him.

When I got to his house, his car wasn't on the driveway which meant he wasn't home. I sat in the car for a few minutes trying to debate on whether to call him or not. It was then I saw his message he had sent before he had showed up unexpectedly at my house.

We need to talk. I'm coming over.

If I read his message I would have been able to avert the confrontation that had taken place and the drama that it had created.

I sighed heavily as I called him and put the phone to my ear. It rang and rang. Then is just stopped.

I wasn't surprise. He was probably not answering because he was still angry. How did I clear up the misunderstanding that had exploded into a physical altercation if he refused to speak to me?

Camping outside of his house until he came home wasn't feasible. I still had assignments to do. Maybe once I was done I would try and call him or message him. If all else failed I could always sneak into his room like I had before.

It was my absolute last resort. I swallowed when I remembered his expression before he had left. It turned my stomach. All I could do was explain myself and hope for the best. I couldn't do more than that.