Chapter 10 part 2

"I can't talk about this right-" I stopped as emotion clogged my throat. I couldn't finish the sentence.

My eyes began to water as I tried to breath through the tears.

Aiden reached up to touch my cheek gently. "Okay. Then we let it go for the moment. But just for the moment."

I nodded. He was right. I couldn't ignore it I definitely but right now it was too much to handle.

That's what I needed more than anything right then. I needed to be able to ignore the mess of my personal life so I could focus all my energy on Lacey, who needed me to be strong for her.

I took a shaky breath as a tear slid down my cheek. His thumb brushed it away.

"It's okay Reece."

I nodded, feeling the emotion. It had to be okay because I couldn't deal with it right now. I wiped the next tear away, hating that I had lost control. I didn't know what was wrong with me. This emotional person was a stranger to me.

"Can I drive you to the hospital?"

"I'm not sure that's a good idea." I felt shaky and vulnerable. Maybe it was a mixture of stress and lack of sleep.

Every time we were close, things happened. Maybe it was just best to keep as far away from each as physically possible without causing people to notice. It's the last thing either of them needed.

"Just hear me out." He reached for my hand but them pulled back like he remembered what happens when he touches me. Things get out of hand.

"Fine," I said, crossing my arms.

"I know you're under a lot of stress and you're exhausted. I just don't want you to drive in that state. I would never forgive myself if something happened to you."

I frowned, I have never for a second thought about it. But he was right, the toll of Lacey's illness and subsequent surgery had put an unbelievable strain on all of us, including Aiden.

"You're just as stressed and tired." I pointed out. "Shouldn't I be worried something might happen to you?"

"I'm tougher than I look." He smiled but I could see the strain in his features. I wasn't the only one stuck in purgatory while we waited for Lacey to wake up, he was right there with me.

I touched his arm and his eyes went to the action. I cleared my throat and his eyes lifted to meet mine.

"I know things have gotten complicated but if you need someone to talk to, I'm here." I needed him to know that this wasn't just a case where he was there to support me, it worked both ways. I was there for him as well, even if I couldn't stop myself from wanting him physically.

I swallowed and released his arms when I saw his expression.

"Thanks."

There was an awkward moment where I was super aware of how close he was standing. I could just take one step and we would be close enough for our lips to touch. I shook my head, trying to get rid of the thought. We had already gotten ourselves into such a mess, I couldn't deal with more.

"Get dressed, I'll meet you downstairs. I'll take you back to the hospital."

I nodded. I stood watching him as he left the room. There were so many emotions inside of me I took a moment to take a deep breath and release it. I needed to get myself together, so I could be there for Lacey. There was no space for anything else, including a boyfriend who felt neglected or a friend who had become something more. All the complicated stuff had to wait until I could deal.