Ready? ...No? I Don't Care! Go! (1)

A group of people was swiftly moving through what was once a vast forest: the gray ashes of the aftermath blurring their sights.

"...!"

Despite their incredible speeds, they deftly stopped in an instant. Something was coming, and they could all sense it.

An astounding pressure pressed down on them, causing even the finest hairs to stand on edge.

At that moment, a storm of black mass landed in front of them, each of the inky black petals glowing a brilliant gold.

Amidst the sparkling fragments, as the black gold tornado began to thin, a man was revealed. Obviously, he was a Vritra judging by the horns he had growing out of the sides of his head, somewhere above the ears.

He was dressed in black armor accented with subdued grays, his cape freely fluttering in the wind while his longish black hair gently drifted.

It was a powerful sight that evoked a heavy sense of nostalgia.

However, it wasn't this that caused some of their legs to buckle. Some of their legs gave out because they recognized was who he was.

A shaky voice rang out as a certain person pointed their finger at the swirling cyclone of black petals, glowing a radiant gold.

"A-are you...?"

Seemingly hearing this, the man reached for a black sword, or what appeared to be a sword, lodged into a black scabbard. Unsheathing it, an ominous blazing black blade revealed itself. The inky black was surrounded by a luminous golden glow; similarly colored petals seem to drift from it and surround it.

Even though it had a foreign and unique appearance, even a fool could tell what it was: it was a sword made of entirely mana.

Seeing this, the group of people's suspicions was confirmed. A man they thought they had lost had returned in a most spectacular fashion.

And standing in solitude, amidst the flying storm of black and gold petals, the man slowly turned to look at the ones who had called his name.

An eerie yet beautiful glow radiated from his deep, abyssal golden eyes.

**

[18 Years Ago]

...So, you guys know what the light at the end of the tunnel is, right?

It's a somewhat common phenomenon that is often accounted for by people who have had near-death experiences. They shoot up, saying, "I saw the light!" or "I saw the Lord!" or whatever they believe in. Basically, it's a phenomenon closely associated with death.

Of course, that would lead to the question, was I dead? Or was this a near-death experience? Or perhaps it was my grand entry into the afterlife?

But if this was a near-death experience... did that mean I didn't die yet?

My small hope vanished as quickly as it came. I was sure I died. I could still feel my friend's sword flying through my chest.

"..."

Yeesh.

...In any case, how much longer was this going to take? I've been approaching the light for what seemed like an eternity.

I almost expected a jump scare or something to pop out... Heck, I wouldn't mind a choir of angels to start singing and playing trumpets.

Actually, wouldn't that mean I was going to heaven? That would be quite ni—

My thoughts cut out as my vision was suddenly blasted by light. My vision was blurred, and I couldn't make out a thing.

I slammed my eyelids shut from the sudden pain.