Changing Things Up

A/N: Hey guys! I'm back!

It's been a long journey with my other ff, but it's finally done (like the entire thing is finished), and I'll be returning to work on this ff, my main ff, full time!

It's great to be back, and I can't wait to start writing about Asher's story again. The first few chapters of the new arc will be relatively slow-paced compared to the exciting last moments of the Tournament Arc. Still, it'll be important to the foundation of Asher's abilities. If you couldn't guess, it's the training sub-arc.

In any case, that's enough out of me. (These long A/N's are probably annoying, lol)

Happy reading!

Asher POV

[A little under four years ago]

After the tournament, I began training immediately. It became more apparent than ever to both my teachers and me that my current situation was dangerous.

Even the tiniest bit of overexertion was fatal. So, my teachers, Virion and Alea plus Aya now, were just more augmenting training but focused on controlling the internal flow of mana. This was supposed to be preparation for conjuring, but... I had different plans.

*

"I'd like to do some independent training."

"Pft—"

Virion almost choked on the tea.

"Independent?"

Alea asked with a raised brow.

"Yeah. I have a few things I want to try right now. If they don't work out, we can figure them out when I come back."

"I see..."

Alea nodded, her words trailing off before her brows furrowed.

"Hold up, come back?"

"Yep, I'm going to complete my Asceticism Journey."

—Tang

Merial, who had just come into the room with Alduin, dropped the tray she was holding.

"...Asceticism Journey?"

Alduin spoke in disbelief as a maid quickly picked up the tray.

Their shock was understandable. An Asceticism Journey was the final step a Royal Guard would take to become a Royal Knight. It was a strenuous ordeal that required one to venture into the forest for an entire year and grow, fighting mana beasts and cultivating their strength while abstaining from the pleasures of the world. The name defined itself almost perfectly.

"Already? You're not even 10!"

Alduin tried to reason with me.

"The only requirement to begin one's Asceticism Journey is to be a Royal Guard and be an orange core."

"Yes! That's another..."

The elvish king trailed off.

"...You couldn't have."

"But I have."

Yup, that's right. I broke into the orange core just the night before because of this very reason. Also, I was promoted to Royal Guard after winning the tournament.

"Father?"

Left speechless, Alduin called out to his father.

Virion, who had seemingly come to a conclusion, spoke as he held down a burp.