Asceticism Journey (6) - Dreams

A/N: So I lied. This isn't the finale finale of the subarc, but more like the finale of his journey. He'll be heading home next chapter.

Happy reading :D

3rd Person POV

[2 weeks later]

"Huuk!"

Asher gasped for air as he awoke with a jolt.

The first thing Asher saw was dull light pressing down on his eyes. Once he focused his blurry gaze three, four times, he finally saw the gloomy world before him.

He found that he was soaked with cold sweat

"What...?"

He wiped away the sweat on his forehead, but he couldn't stop his body's trembling.

He forced his body up and fell to the ground, stumbling as he did so and barely managed to lean against the tree's trunk.

"...Ah, ha, haaaa."

He closed his eyes.

A dream.

He'd had a dream, a dream that was a bit, no, a lot different than the dreams he usually had.

In the dream, he had been injured and was desperately running through a misty forest, crashing through hedges and pushing past trees. His steps weren't graceful like they were now but were heavy and unpracticed.

Perhaps, everything was just a silly dream.

But, why...?

The final scene stuck to his head. Sitting upon a lonely throne... him quietly closing his eyes.

Regret, remorse, loneliness, and so, so much pain. Even as the dream ended, these emotions powerfully raged within him, ringing in his heart.

After much struggle, Asher opened his eyes again and looked around him.

The forest was awfully grey today. The overcast sky was in stark contrast to yesterday's weather, giving the whole scene a dreary feel.

For some reason, however, it felt... familiar.

The reason was quite obvious.

He was right where the dream began, where his dream-self had started running.

He turned over in a certain direction. If his feeling was correct... southwest. In a trance-like state, he began walking in the direction, following in the footsteps of him from the dream.

"..."

Endlessly, he slowly walked. He wasn't in his right mind.

Perhaps it was the dream?

He couldn't think straight.

*

After what seemed like hours, he snapped out of it and looked around at his new surroundings.

"What in the...?"

If his dream was accurate, what should've been a hill... was a wasteland. Like someone had been firing magic everywhere... no.

It wasn't even that; it looked more like the land had been decayed.

Endlessly decayed like the land was sick and dying.

Having been surrounded by the lush forest growing up, teeming with life, the boy couldn't help but grow a little sick at the scene.

Still, he advanced, driven by a mysterious emotion.