Asceticism Journey (4) - Materialization

A/N: Another long chapter! 

It's a double release so I hope you forgive my cliffhanger ;-;

Happy reading :D

"N-no...!"

Nobody was there.

Behind the corpse or anywhere else, nobody. I despaired only for a moment as I shut my eyes, bracing for impact.

I landed on the ground, my skin scraping against the floor as I rolled, skin tearing and flesh ripping until I flew out of the cave and slammed against a tree. I reeled in pain, not noticing the darkness of the night. The entirety of my right side was burnt from the friction of skidding from the initial impact.

As for the rest of my body, it was covered with various wounds. Fortunately, I wasn't missing any large chunks of flesh, but I had various open wounds.

"Kahk!"

I coughed blood. It seemed my ribs were broken too.

"Huek... uekk..."

Though I was sprawled out over the ground face down, I didn't rest.

I wanted to take a break, but I knew I couldn't. Every second was worth more than gold right now.

I did my best to get onto my feet, but I could barely move my arms, let alone get up.

"Dammit all... keuk! Move!"

More blood spilled out my mouth. I completely overdid myself. Still, I didn't have time to think about anything. I needed to move, to get out of here, but, as I was, it was impossible.

My leg muscles were absolutely toast, let alone any of my other injured body parts.

"...Dammit."

Still, I kept trying. Though I might have failed to kill him, at the very least, I should escape. Living was a victory, not killing the other guy.

—Tap, tap

"!"

Suddenly, the sound of light footsteps rang out, causing my hair to stand on end.

My pupils shook as I lifted them up. However, rather than see a pair of grey feet, I saw a pair of eyes instead.

"!"

I wanted to move, no, run away. His face was a scene out of a horror film.

With maggot-infested eyes, his face was lumpy with ulcers. His eyes were looking in different directions, with short strands of hair sprinkled over his otherwise bald head. His teeth had either fallen out or had become yellowed or blackened. He really didn't look human.

"...How ugly~!"

Abruptly, he whipped his head up and manically smiled while he spoke in a sing-song voice.

"BUT!"

He interrupted himself. His grin spread wider, revealing that the ends of his mouths seemed to have been ripped, making his smile even more terrifying.

"You can become an adorable cutie, too~!"

He continued to ramble on and on about all sorts of dissection techniques and exactly how he would use them.

But I didn't care. In fact, I wasn't even grossed out anymore.

"Keuk..."

I—

"HMM? What might yew be doing~!?"

"Ahk—!"

A foot slammed against my skull as I was pressed against the floor.