I'll See You Again

As I lay in the bed, my wife on my side, I smile. I smile because, I've made it this far. I smile because, she made it worth living. I smile because, this is the most happiness I've felt in... forever.

She is mine, and I hers. She's the yin to my yang. She's the.. love of my life. And I am happy to say that, because I wouldn't have it any other way.

"Hey baby, you're awake." She says as she sits up in her chair, the only noise in the room the buzzing of the florescent hospital lights. "Yeah.." I reply back in my raspy, weak voice. "What? Do I have something on my face?" She asks, bringing her hand up to her face and wiping her lips.

"No, no.. you're perfect." I compliment, a weak smile painting my face. She giggles and waves her hands in the air, dismissing what I just said.

"How are you feeling today?" She asks, that familiar hint of hope in her voice. "My love, you know I'm not gonna get better." I whisper, instantly deflating her hopes. "I know." She says, her voice breaking.

She walks over to me and lays her head on my lap, tears spilling onto my legs. "Shh princess... I know." I whisper with my weakened voice.

"I don't want you to leave me. I want our girls to meet their mama." She pleads.

You see, my wife and I had gotten a sperm donor and she ended up.. pregnant. With twins. And then, the cancer came around rather quickly.

Shes now 7 months along, and I don't know if im gonna make it to see our girls. In fact, I know I'm not gonna make it. I'm dying.

"Listen puppy, I'll always look out for you. No matter from the sky, or now. Once I'm gone, I don't want you to be sad. I want you to know I'm by your side, even though you might not be able to see me. I'm never truly going to leave you my love. I will see you again."

She cries even harder and leans up, hiding her face in my neck. "I love you." She whispers. "I love you too bunny."

I feel myself growing weaker by the second. My frail body contrasting to her strong one. She cuddles against me, clinging onto me as I feel myself slowly fade away.

The life drains out of me through one final breathe, whispering a small "Bye puppy." Knowing I'll see her again. Knowing this isn't the last time we will meet.

This isn't the last time I will see my love. She knows I'm watching after her and our little ones from the sky. She knows I walk side by side with her everyday, although she can't see me.

She knows, I will see her again.