nine

'the hummingbirds tell me

you've changed your hair

i tell them i don't care

while listening to them

describe every detail.'

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

The days of November seemed to fly following the quidditch game, Harry and Primrose had also been growing closer. Surprisingly, Primrose found herself falling into a friendship with the other two members of Harry's trio. She found it easy to bond over quidditch with Ron, and studying with Hermione was the most effective method she had ever found.

Things had been getting better for both teens, they were both smiling more, laughing more, slowly letting their secure guards down.

Primrose found that the night before her birthday had come all too soon.

She was sitting in her bed, turned on her side and facing her nightstand, her eyes set on the clock sitting atop it. Her gaze was unwavering as she watched the minutes tick by.

11:23

She wouldn't say that she was necessarily excited for her birthday, never really being one for celebrations. It's not that she didn't enjoy birthdays, the general idea of everyone celebrating your existence seemed nice theoretically. However, for Primrose, birthdays were never anything too special.

Not having a wide variety of friends, and her birthdays always being during the school year from the age of eleven and up, she never really had many people to share the excitement with.

After meeting Luna her birthdays grew slightly less grim, the dreamy girl would come and eat breakfast with her and spend the rest of the day by her side. The girl would then drag Primrose down into the kitchens in the evening, one of the house elves—dolly—who the two girls had become acquainted with in Primrose's third year, would prepare a small strawberry cake. It was always filled with fresh cream and cut up strawberries, Primrose's favourite.

They would spend their evenings indulging in the cake, sharing light conversation as the hours faded away, her birthday's slowly coming to an end each year.

11:56

The minutes had seemed to have sped up, she stayed, her eyes still drilling holes into her clock. Each minute ticking over to the next.

11:57

She wondered if this year's birthday was going to be any different.

11:58