Twenty

Trace sat in an interrogation room as he sighed. He wanted to just get the hell out of this prison so he could get to Evelyn. His sweet daughter that always did exactly what he told her to do. The only one that never fought him.

"Alright, Mr. Benson. Do you understand why I am here?" Agent McQueen asked as he opened the door and walked into the room.

"No, I don't. I'm innocent, and everyone should know that my piece of shit daughter put me here." Trace frowned, as he tried to look all sad and hurt, but he wasn't. He knew what he did, and he couldn't wait for a call from his guy that told him that Olivia and her bastards were no longer a problem.

"You aren't innocent, Trace. Especially after we traced all of your calls and found out that you hired a hitman."

"What's a hitman?" Trace asked, but playing dumb didn't really work for him since the FBI and a few other agencies wanted him for several crimes.

"Okay, keep trying to act dumb. But don't worry, Mr. Benson. We have good news."

"Am I finally getting out of here? Because the bed is lumpy, the food is shit, and I need to get back to my kid."

"No, Trace. But your daughter and her kids are alive and well. Your hitman missed, and you are going to be charged with more crimes than before."

///

"Our toddlers are down." Olivia whispered, as she moved over to where Elliot laid on their bed. It was barely a double, so they always had to cuddle close or sleep with a baby on their chests at night.

"Awesome." Elliot yawned. He rolled over and looked at Olivia, before reaching out and gently running his hand over her hip.

"How are you doing?"

"Not great, Liv. I'm going to be honest with you, and I'm not doing great at all." Elliot whispered as tears burned his eyes. He was trying to be strong, but a ton of really hard stuff has happened in the last few days and it didn't seem to get any easier.

"Are you anxious?"

"Yeah, I am. I'm also thinking about what would have happened if Lou wasn't still standing when the shot was fired. Like what if instead she was already using the bathroom and got shot? That is where he was aiming. Then I can't stop thinking about if you were in there instead. How our babies might not have a mother anymore. That fucking Brad would get them and hurt them."

"Brad isn't getting them." Olivia replied.

"He's their father. Or sperm donor since I'm their father."

"Brad isn't in contact with the girls at all. He doesn't send birthday gifts, cards, letters, or even call them. In my mind, they are fully your children. Brad made it clear that he wasn't interested in being their father, so he wasn't anymore. If I die, get sick, or end up in jail... you get them. In my will, I left the babies to you."

"You left them to me? I thought Brad would get them." Elliot breathed, his eyes wide with shock.

"I know you thought that, but it isn't true. Lou and Letty are our kids. If I die, they are yours. That is how I want it... but I don't plan on leaving our family anytime soon. Okay?"

"Can you hold me for a bit?" Elliot whimpered, and Olivia nodded.

"Of course, baby. Scoot a little closer. I have you."

///

Late that night, Olivia was just coming back from the bathroom when she heard her name whispered. She turned and saw Agent Fields on the stairs. He fanned her over to him, and she climbed the stairs slowly.

"What's wrong?" Olivia whispered.

"He's here."

"The shooter?" Olivia whispered, and Agent Fields nodded.

"Yes. He's in a tree across the street. If you hear any noises, it's just us taking him down. Get Elliot and the girls into the bathroom and sit there."

"O-okay." Olivia breathed. She hurried down the stairs before moving over to the bed. 

"El."

"Yeah?" Elliot yawned.

"Get up and go to the bathroom. I'll grab Lou."

"What? What's happening?" Elliot asked, as he opened his eyes and looked at his fiancee.

"The shooter is across the street. Agent Fields just doesn't want us in front of the stairs. So c'mon."

They rushed around and headed into the small bathroom. Lou sat snuggled against her mother's chest as Olivia cooed softly to her. Bathrooms weren't a safe place for Lou now, and she was shaking in her mother's arms.

"Mama, what's happening?" Lou whimpered.

"Agent Fields is getting the bad guy that hurt you and Daddy."

"He's here? In the house?" Lou sniffled as she clung tighter to her mother.

"No, not in the house. He's outside. But in here... in this tiny bathroom with your father and sister, we are safe. When we can get out of here and go home, we will find a safe apartment to live in."

"Or we can stay with Grandma and Papa for a bit." Elliot offered up, as yelling sounded from above them.

"What-" Lou started, and Olivia smiled as she caressed her daughter's hair.

"We can stay with Grandma and Papa, and celebrate Letty's birthday! We can do gifts and lots of pretty balloons!" Olivia spoke loudly, her voice shaking as gunshots rang through the air.

"Can we wear party hats? Purple ones?" Lou questioned, as she leaned away from her mother's body.

"Of course he can, Louise Madeline." Olivia grinned as tears ran down her cheeks.

///

Bernie and Joseph were woken up very early two days after Letty's first birthday. Joseph grabbed his baseball bat before heading downstairs quietly. He was ready to swing the bat back, but stopped when he heard some quiet chatter.

"Lou?" Joseph asked, without opening the door.

"Papa?! Daddy, Papa is right there! Open up, Papa!" Lou exclaimed.

Joseph quickly swung open the door before staring at his son and his family with wide eyes.

"I thought we couldn't see you for a while... and who are they?" Joseph asked, as he looked between Elliot and saw the FBI agents standing behind them.

"It's a long story. But we were wondering if we could stay here for a bit?" Olivia asked, and Joseph nodded.

"Of course, c'mon in."