Twenty-Five

Even if Elliot hadn't gotten the promotion that he had prayed about, Olivia ended up getting the job for NYPD's crime lab. Olivia was beyond excited, but kept her excitement at bay to help with the disappointment that her husband was feeling.

"You are up early." Elliot yawned when his wife came downstairs and joined him in the kitchen. Olivia was dressed and ready to go at a time that she usually wasn't even awake.

"I have work." Olivia replied softly. Elliot watched as Olivia got herself a cup of coffee before joining him at the kitchen table.

"The pizza place isn't open yet, and you don't clean the precinct anymore. So what job?" Elliot mused.

Olivia bit her lip before turning to look at her husband. She had kept the fact she had accepted the job a secret, and now she prayed it wouldn't bite her in the ass.

"Today is my first day at the lab... they didn't even want a second interview." Olivia breathed.

"Why are you just now telling me? Liv-"

"I felt bad that you didn't get the promotion, so I kept my mouth shut about it."

Elliot frowned before nodding slowly.

"Thanks for being understanding and considerate, but you shouldn't hide your happiness and excitement just because I'm disappointed." Elliot spoke. He reached out and gently rubbed Olivia's back before standing.

"El-"

"I gotta get to work, babe. Have a good day."

///

Olivia's day was amazing. The first half of her shift was mostly training, but after her lunch break, she was allowed to start running tests.

"I am here to drop off a rape kit." A familiar voice spoke, and Olivia turned around from her microscope and smiled when she saw her husband.

"I can take that." Olivia spoke.

"Oh, hi." Elliot breathed weakly, before looking around for another lab technician.

"El- Officer Stabler, would you like me to find someone else?" Olivia questioned, and Elliot nodded quickly.

"Yeah, maybe someone with more experience." Elliot replied coldly.

Olivia turned around and rolled her eyes as she went to get her supervisor.

Once the senior lab tech signed all the paperwork and accepted the rape kit, Elliot ran out quickly. 

"Are you related to Officer Stabler? You know, since you share the same last name?" The tech asked, and Olivia sighed and nodded.

"Yup." Olivia replied plainly.

"How?"

"He's my husband..." Olivia trailed off before she opened a whole can of beans that no one wanted to know.

///

Olivia finished her shift before going grocery shopping. She picked up a bunch of items that Bernie requested, before also grabbing a bottle of wine for herself. Olivia had a good day at work, but was still stressed out about Elliot.

"Mama!" Lou exclaimed, once Olivia walked into the house.

"Hey, baby. Did you have a good day with Grandma?" Olivia asked, and Lou nodded quickly.

"Yeah! We went to the park and looked at costumes for Halloween!" Lou exclaimed.

Olivia smiled and listened to Lou closely as she told her about her day. By the time Lou was done, Olivia had put away all the groceries and put dinner in the oven.

"Mama, can I try some?" Lou asked, as Olivia poured wine into her glass.

"No, baby. This is only for adults." Olivia sighed softly.

"But... is that Daddy?!" Lou squealed, as she got side tracked quickly. She ran from the room and Olivia took a long drink of her wine. She needed to be a little buzzed to get through the night.

///

Elliot didn't talk to anyone that night. All he did was grab a plate of dinner and a full six-pack of beer that Olivia had bought and went outside. He sat on the porch swing and ate while drinking, while Olivia and his parents took care of the girls. When he finally decided to come back inside, it was only to steal Olivia's wine.

"No." Olivia spoke, as she tore the bottle from her husband's hand.

"Excuse me? You can't tell me no. I'm not your child." Elliot spat.

"Okay, well I did tell you no. This is my bottle of wine. I bought it for myself, so you won't be downing it like all that beer you just finish." Olivia snapped.

Elliot rolled his eyes, before slamming his fists against the counter. Olivia jumped, and she stepped back quickly as she started to fear her husband. She never thought there would be a time where Elliot scared her, but she was wrong.

"You are nothing but a selfish bitch! I hate you, and I'm done with you! Give me the fucking bottle and get out!" Elliot screamed.

"El-"

"No! Just get out! You ruin everything, so I don't want you here anymore!" Elliot yelled, as he reached out and ripped the bottle from Olivia's hand. Wine spilt everywhere, but Elliot didn't care. 

"El." Olivia whimpered, but it was no use. Elliot was pissed off, and that wouldn't change unless he calmed down.

Elliot stormed out of the house, and when Olivia was finally able to move, she stumbled from the kitchen.

"Olivia." Bernie whispered, and Olivia just shook her head.

"Don't, Bernie. Don't even try to make it seem like everything will be okay! He hates me, and tonight really proves that. So I am going to grab the girls. I can stay with my Aunt and  my sisters, and hopefully I can come home soon... since I will truly be a failure if I end up on my second divorce before I'm even thirty."

///

Sara welcomed Olivia and her girls with open arms. But back at the Stabler house, Elliot was drunk and angry. He had broken all the beer bottles and was working on the wine bottle.

"Son." Joseph sighed as he walked onto the back porch.

"What?!" Elliot snapped, as he tapped the empty wine bottle against the patio table.

"You need to stop. Go to bed and get some sleep." Joseph frowned.

"You aren't my boss! Leave me-"

"You will regret what you said and did tonight. So maybe if you went to bed, you wouldn't do more things that you regret! So-"

"She gets her dream job and I don't! She is such a failure, but can get her dream job when I wasn't even considered again."