Thirty-One

Olivia went home with her in-laws and figured out what needed to be done. She had to stay here with her kids, but was worried that Bernie and Joseph wouldn't let her stay for much longer. Especially since Elliot wasn't there anymore.

"You should get some sleep, Olivia. It's getting late and-"

"I'm okay, Bernie. I have some things to figure out before I can go to bed."

"What do you have to figure out?" Bernie asked softly. Olivia turned slowly towards Bernie before swallowing hard.

"Elliot is going to be in the hospital for weeks, maybe months. He is going to get the help he needs, and when he gets out, we will get a divorce. So I have to find a new place to live, and I have to fight to stay alive for my girls. Until Elliot takes them and can raise them to be good people." Olivia explained weakly.

"This is your home, Olivia. You and those girls are staying here."

"I'm the reason he had a mental break, Bernie! You don't want me here, and you just need to admit it!" Olivia cried.

"Olivia, I love you! You are just as much my child as the ones I raised! Elliot is still madly in love with you, but he's just lost right now! He'll come back and you two can continue to be married... you two can raise those girls together!"

Olivia sobbed, as everything got the best of her again. She was shaking as she slowly sank down onto the kitchen tile. Bernie went to kneel beside her, but Joseph got there before her. He had been watching them, and he sank down onto the floor beside Olivia. He tugged her into a tight embrace as she sobbed like a baby.

"Everything is dark, bad, and scary right now. But it will get better. We will all see the light again, even if it means some things might not be how we want them." Joseph breathed, his voice shaking.

///

It took six weeks for Elliot's medicine to even out in his system. There were many highs and lows, but Elliot eventually started to break from his manic episode. There were still a lot of scary thoughts that spun around in his head, but he talked those out with the many therapists that treated him.

"You have a visitor." Dr. Cortez spoke as he walked into the group room. Elliot was sitting by the window, staring out at the gray landscape. 

"I do?" Elliot asked without moving his eyes from the window.

"Yes, you do. Would you like to see her?" Dr. Cortez replied. Elliot hesitantly turned around before eyeing his doctor.

"Her? Is it my mother?" Elliot questioned, and Dr. Cortez shook his head.

"No, it's your wife. Would you like to see her?" Dr. Cortez asked again.

"Sure." Elliot sighed.

Dr. Cortez left the room, before retrieving Olivia. Once Olivia was in the room, the door was shut and they were left alone. It was Thanksgiving, and a lot of the patients had been released just in time to spend the holiday with their families.

"Hey, El." Olivia spoke softly, as she stood by the door. Bernie was originally going to surprise her son, but 'something came up' and Olivia was sent instead. It was all planned, and Olivia knew that from the moment she climbed into her car, and noticed that it was all gassed up and ready to go.

"What are you doing here?" Elliot asked.

Olivia frowned deeply as she realized that it wasn't just the manic episode that caused problems. Elliot truly hated his wife, and there wasn't any going back from that.

"I didn't plan this, but your mother said something came up so she sent me instead. If you don't want to talk, then I can leave you be." Olivia spoke softly. 

"You messed everything up, Olivia." Elliot sighed, and Olivia nodded slowly.

"Yeah, I know."

"You shouldn't be happy. You never should have gotten your dream job. You don't deserve it." Elliot spat.

"I know." Olivia whispered. She could feel the anger and hate radiating off of her husband, and even if it hurt, she didn't fight. 

"I never should have married you, Olivia. It was the dumbest thing I have ever done. I cannot wait until I'm out of here and can finally get rid of you. For good." Elliot growled, as he stood. He walked towards Olivia, and the door opened.

"Elliot, sit back down." Dr. Cortez spoke. Olivia shook her head as tears slipped down her cheeks.

"Don't bother, Dr. Cortez. He's going to hurt me, and I deserve it. Just let it happen. It'll be a breakthrough for him." Olivia sniffled.

"I can't-"

"Go." Olivia begged. Dr. Cortez hesitantly stepped back and flagged down guards as the door shut behind him.

"You want me to kill you, don't you?" Elliot asked as he continued to approach Olivia.

"If it makes you happy, then I'd honestly let you do anything. Elliot, I do everything for you. I'm still in love with you, even if you aren't in love with me." Olivia whimpered.

"Stop-"

"Elliot, you and I have been best friends for years! We grew up together! When I came back, we still had that same connection that we had all along. I know that something changed between us, and I'm so sorry about that. I will go home and file for divorce so you can get out of here and be free." Olivia hiccuped. She raked her fingers through her hair, before turning and knocking on the door.

Elliot stopped in his spot, and watched Olivia for several long moments. He was shocked by what Olivia said, and didn't know how to respond.

"You are just going to give up that fast? You don't want to fight?" Elliot asked weakly, and Oliva shook her head.

"I have no fight left in me, El. First Brad took it all, and when I finally broke free I felt better. But after the night everything went to shit, I lost it all again. El, I was going to kill myself. If you are lucky, it might still happen... I love you, and I pray you get better." Olivia whimpered, as the door opened.

She started to step out when Elliot spoke again.

"I love you too."