Forty-Six

Bernie stayed with Olivia for a while longer before hesitantly leaving. No matter how much shit had gone down between them, she didn't want Olivia and Elliot to get a divorce. She didn't want them to break up because she knew how good they can be together. How in love they once were.

"Where are the girls?" Elliot asked with wide eyes as he opened the front door to his home. He knew that his mother was going over to see Olivia, and he had been hoping that she's grab the kids and bring them back to him.

"They are with their mother, Elliot."

"No, they are supposed to be here with me! Fuck, I'll go get them!" Elliot boomed. He reached for his keys, but Bernie stopped him. 

"I know I haven't been team Olivia in a while, but I care about her. I wish that I never would have been so controlling, so that none of this would have happened. Elliot, that woman is your soulmate. She stuck around when you had your mental break, and you helped her through the scariest days of her life. You may not always see eye-to-eye, but that doesn't give you the right to say such horrible things about her. So, unless you want to lose her and those kids forever, you need to apologize."

"Lose them forever? I won't let her leave with them. I will make sure she gets Lou and Letty taken away. She's the crazy one." Elliot spat.

Bernie sighed as she scrubbed her hand down her face. She didn't realize how stubborn and dense her son could be sometimes.

"She does not know what she wants or what she wants to do. So give her a few days of space, then you both can cool down. Then go over there and apologize."

"I have nothing to apologize for!" Elliot snapped, before slamming the door in his mother's face.

Bernie let out a sigh before turning and walking down the stairs.

"Why did I want kids when I knew they'd be this much of a pain in my ass?"

///

It took a lot longer than a few days for the couple to cool off. For three weeks, they didn't speak or see each other. Olivia stayed with her aunt and sisters, while Elliot was working longer hours to avoid his empty house. No matter how angry they had been with each other, as the days went by, they realized how much they missed the other. They were just too stubborn to admit it to anyone else.

The first one to break was Olivia. She missed her husband and her home. She missed the nights where they attempted to cuddle as long as Lane and Frankie would allow.

So late on Monday night, Olivia stood on the front steps of our house. The lights were on and Elliot's car was in the driveway. Olivia didn't move for a few moments, and when she was just about to turn and walk away, the door opened.

"Liv." Elliot breathed, when he saw his wife standing there. Olivia turned slowly back to her husband and swallowed hard. They both looked like shit, because neither was getting sleep.

"Hey, El. I'm sorry for bothering you... you are probably about to crash, anyway." Olivia whispered.

"They are forcing me to have tomorrow off, so I'll probably be up for a while. What are you doing here?" Elliot asked nervously. He tried to read Olivia's body language, but all he could tell was that she was exhausted.

"I haven't slept well in three weeks." Olivia replied softly.

"Is it because of the babies?" Elliot asked, as he did a quick glance down at his wife's stomach. Olivia shook her head nervously.

"It isn't completely their fault... I can't sleep alone anymore. It feels wrong, and the girls can't fill the gap."

"I don't even go into our room anymore. I sleep on the couch and wear the same clothes as they get clean."

Olivia bit her lip before rocking back and forth a bit. She just wanted to blurt out what she wanted to say, but she was sure Elliot would be angry at her. That he wouldn't believe what she had to say.

"Do you wanna come in? It's a little chilly out here." Elliot offered. Olivia nodded slowly before allowing herself to follow Elliot into the house.

Once inside, nothing was said. Olivia sat on the couch and stared at the muted TV, and Elliot did the same.

This awkwardness went on for nearly half an hour before Olivia turned to look at Elliot.

"I miss you."

"I miss you too." Elliot said with a deep sigh.

"Y-you do?"

"Liv, what I said was cruel. You are an amazing mother and wife. I love you so much, and I wish that I hadn't said any of those things... you have every right to be angry at my parents for what they did. I shouldn't force you into anything, just because I want it to happen." Elliot rambled.

Olivia wiped a tear from her cheek before leaning over and kissing her husband softly. She caressed his bearded cheek before leaning back.

"I'm giving your mother a shot, El. She joined me at my last appointment. It will never be the same, but at least I'm giving her a shot... I'm sorry that I didn't do it sooner." Olivia whispered. Elliot shook his head before kissing his wife.

They sat there for several long moments before Elliot stood and dragged his wife with him.

"Where are we going?" She asked.

"We are going to sleep in our bed tonight. Side by side how it is meant to be... I'm never sleeping without you by my side again."

"I'm going to pass out as soon as my head hits the pillow, El. I hope you realize that." Olivia laughed from the bottom of the stairs. Elliot smiled and nodded.

"I will too. We can snore and drool together. As husband and wife."