Thirty-Seven

Their relationship was slightly strained after Joseph and Bernie decided Elliot would not be moving in with Olivia. Even if they waited a month longer, Joseph and Bernie weren't willing to let their son move in with his wife.

"Hey." Elliot spoke softly, as he met his wife at the grocery store. Olivia was working long shifts, so this was the only time they'd have together this week.

"Hi." Olivia said with a weak sigh.

"You look pale. Is everything okay?" Elliot asked nervously, as he placed his hand to the small of Olivia's back.

"Louise and Violet are angry that you haven't been sleeping over, and that your parents don't like me coming over unannounced anymore." Olivia spoke, as she pushed the cart forward.

"I'm sorry, Liv. They are just being protective and making sure nothing happens."

"El, it's been a month since we got to spend time together. It's like they think I'm the problem, and it really sucks." Olivia frowned. They walked in silence, and Olivia picked up the things she needed. 

When they got closer to the pharmacy, Elliot went to get his prescriptions and Olivia wandered around.

"Whatcha got there?" Elliot asked when he came up beside his wife. Olivia was holding a pregnancy test, but didn't know if she should buy it or not. She had been parenting her furious daughters alone for the last month, so she was pretty certain that was the reason behind being run down.

"Nothing." Olivia sighed, before tossing the box into her cart.

"Liv-"

"It's just a precaution. I probably won't even take it, just don't bring it up to anyone. Okay?"

"Why can't I bring it up to anyone? Liv, everyone knows we want another baby! If they know, who gives a fuck?" Elliot exclaimed. Olivia quickly reached out and grabbed her husband's hand before squeezing it tightly.

"Don't you think your parents would be angry if I got pregnant? Like, that I'm going to mess things up for you? Eventually, they will have to let you move out and in with me, but it has to be on their schedule. They get to plan it, but we can't. So at the moment, I'd like to believe that I'm not pregnant."

"Can you take one in the morning?"

"I'd only be four weeks pregnant, El. No point in taking one so soon. Now, let's go check-out."

///

Elliot had to go back home after shopping with his wife, and he found his mother setting table.

"Let me help." Elliot smiled weakly as he moved over to the table.

"Thanks, carrot. How was shopping?" Bernie spoke, as she pulled on some oven mitts before checking on their dinner.

"It was fine."

"Did you get your medicine?" Bernie asked, and Elliot nodded silently.

Elliot finished setting the table before moving to grab the water pitcher from the fridge.

"Elliot-"

"Liv is feeling very worn down, so she bought a pregnancy test." 

"What? Is it yours?" Bernie asked rapidly, and Elliot swallowed hard. He couldn't believe that his mother would even ask that.

"If she's pregnant, then yes, it would be mine. She's faithful to me, and always has been."

"When should she know?" Bernie asked.

"She doesn't want to take it for a while, especially since it's so early and she doesn't have good luck with pregnancies."

"What do you mean?" Bernie questioned softly.

"Between Lou and Letty, Liv had two miscarriages. I'm surprised that she didn't tell you, but anyway, she doesn't want to tell you about this possibility since you and Dad haven't been nice to her." Elliot frowned as he poured water into the three cups.

"We have been nice to her!" Bernie exclaimed.

"You won't let her come over to eat dinner or anything! All you let her do is drop the girls off and then pick them up! She's alone, especially since you won't let me sleep over there! As if I'm not a grown, married, father to two!" Elliot spat.

"Elliot-"

"I'm going to get some air. Don't bother waiting for me." Elliot snapped.

///

Elliot drove around town for a bit, before stopping at Olivia's house. He got out and walked up the steps before ringing the doorbell.

"El." Olivia breathed as she looked at Elliot. She was just getting ready to head to a late shift, so she was partially ready to go and looked exhausted.

"Uh, can we talk?"

"I'm kinda busy. The sitter is going to be here soon, and I don't want to disturb the girls. They just started to eat." Olivia sighed.

"Let me watch them. If I would have known you were working tonight, I could have picked them up and spent the night and tomorrow with them." Elliot smiled softly.

"It's fine. I don't want to overwhelm you. Now, can we talk later?"

"Liv, take the test."

"What?" Olivia frowned.

"Take the test. See if it is even lightly positive. We could move from there."

"Elliot, I'm not doing this right now. I'm honestly don't even want to be pregnant right now. I am going to be late if I don't leave soon, so I need you to leave. Please."

"Olivia, let me move in. Tomorrow I can-"

"STOP!" Olivia finally snapped.

Elliot went silent as he watched his wife start to breathe heavily.

"I'll stop asking. I'm sorry."

"None of this is your fault, Elliot. But I can't explain exactly what is happening to you. So please, and I'm begging you, fucking leave. Go home. Leave me alone."

"Forever?" Elliot croaked out.

"No, not forever. Just for a bit, especially since your family doesn't like me anymore. Figure out the right way to get out of there, and then we can talk about you moving in here. Just not now. I love you." Olivia spoke, before shutting the door in Elliot's face.

She turned around and leaned against the door before letting out a shaky breath. Olivia was really wondering at this point if she'd ever live with her husband again, or if she'd ever have a good relationship with her in-laws.