Forty

Everything seemed easier once Elliot moved in with his wife and children. He was there to help with the girls, and to take care of his wife when morning sickness hit her like a train. Elliot loved taking care of his children, and to be there for his wife. This was the family life he wanted, especially since he had been denied that for so long.

"What does a twelve week check-up look like?" Elliot asked, as he held Olivia's hand while he drove his wife to her doctor's office.

"I'll be getting my blood drawn. They will check my urine sample, then the usual vitals will be taken." Olivia spoke, as she popped another mint into her mouth. Between mints and ginger ale, that was all that could keep her morning sickness at bay.

"Anything else?" Elliot mused, since he was very interested in everything having to do with his wife's pregnancy.

"We get to see the baby." Olivia spoke without even a smile.

"We do?! That's awesome!" Elliot exclaimed.

"It is, but please lower your voice. I have a headache." Olivia cringed.

"I'm sorry, love. I hope they can give you something to help with everything bothering you, honey." Elliot breathed.

"I'm sorry for telling you to lower your voice. I'm sorry for snapping."

The couple didn't speak for the rest of the ride. Olivia was trying not to get sick, and Elliot felt horrible for the way his wife was feeling. Especially when he had seen her on the verge of tears.

At the doctor's office, Olivia was alone when her blood was drawn, but could have her husband with her during the rest of her tests.

"Olivia, you have lost weight instead of gaining it." Dr. Clarke spoke as she sat in front of Olivia.

"I can't keep anything down... this pregnancy is different from my last two."

"Did you have morning sickness at all before?" Dr. Clarke asked, as she took notes.

"I had a little with each girl, but not this bad. I suck on mints and drink ginger ale." Olivia whispered.

"She's also having horrible headaches. I think it might be because she's dehydrated, but I'm not the doctor, so please don't think I'm trying to do your job." Elliot rambled. Dr. Clarke chuckled and shook her head.

"You are probably right, Elliot. Don't worry about it. I'm going to perform an ultrasound on you, and then the blood and urine results should be back. We can move from there."

Olivia laid back and rolled her shirt up before reaching back for her husband's hand. Elliot gave Olivia's hand a small kiss before turning to look at the screen.

Dr. Clarke pointed out the baby, and what little features she could make out. After a few minutes of explaining all the details to the expectant parents, she stopped and stared at the screen for a long moment.

"Olivia and Elliot, do multiples run on either side of your family?" Dr. Clarke asked, and Olivia shook her head.

"No." Olivia breathed, before looking up at her husband.

"Uh, they do on mine... my sister actually had twins her first time being pregnant." Elliot spoke, as he felt slightly dizzy.

"Then that explains the two babies I am looking at right now." Dr. Clarke spoke. The moment those words reached Elliot, and he had time to process them, he was falling forward and fainting from shock.

///

Elliot woke up on the exam table Olivia had been getting her exam on. He looked around the room, and he didn't really remember a damn thing that had happened.

"Hey there, El." Olivia spoke, as she opened the door and walked in.

"What happened? Why am I laying here?" Elliot asked as Olivia helped him to sit up. She smoothed his hair before speaking.

"You fainted."

"I fainted? Why?"

"Dr. Clarke said it's because your heart rate dropped suddenly. She said you will be fine, but just might be sore for a few days."

"Liv-"

"My morning sickness and headaches are worse because I'm pregnant with twins, El. Two babies that are healthy, and Dr. Clarke thinks I won't be losing them." Olivia whispered. She caressed Elliot's hair as he worked through the news he had just received.

"Two babies?" He asked, and Olivia nodded.

"Yup. Two." Olivia sighed. 

"Are you excited about this?" Elliot spoke, and Olivia shrugged.

"I'm scared, but there is nothing I can do about it. I'll grow them, give birth to them, raise them. It's my job as their mother." Olivia spoke plainly.

Elliot grabbed Olivia's hand before drawing it to his lips. He kissed her knuckles gently, before looking up at her and smiling.

"I can't wait to meet our babies, Liv."

///

Olivia dropped her husband off at home before she headed to see her sisters. She had to tell them about the twins, but also hopefully talk through everything bothering her. She hadn't been over in a while, and she hated herself for that.

"Liv!" Penny exclaimed as she opened the front door.

"Hey, kid. You seem to have gotten much taller." Olivia laughed weakly as she hugged her super tall little sister.

"Aunt Sara says I take after Grandpa. I guess he was almost six feet." Penny replied.

"I remember Grandpa. He was very tall." Olivia smiled as she enjoyed the small talk. It helped to ease her nerves, especially since she was worried about everything.

Olivia greeted the rest of her siblings before asking them to join her in the living room.

"Is everything okay, Liv?" Sara asked her niece.

"Yeah, everything is okay. To start, Elliot is officially living with me now."

"That's great!" Jackie smiled.

"But just wait, there is even better news."

"Like?" Colleen asked.

"Elliot and I are expecting again... twins." Olivia breathed.

Everyone was shocked at first, before the excitement came over them.They asked her tons of questions, before eventually passing the new sonogram around. Olivia excused herself when her sisters started to talk about baby names, and Sara followed her.

"You don't seem that excited, Liv." Sara spoke as she gently rubbed Olivia's back.

"I'm scared to death..."