Chapter 1 - Accepting Responsibility

Summary: Mila and her siblings agree to help maintain Link's journal as Zelda and Link think about Astra. Mipha and Link enjoy a trip to Lurelin Village.

It was a little before sunset at Hyrule Castle, and a week had passed since Zelda and Link said farewell to Astra at the Spring of Wisdom. Zelda was close to finishing a necessary business meeting with her older daughter, Princess Zelda, but she had trouble concentrating on the work. Instead, her mind kept wandering back to Astra and wondering how she was. Right now, she recalled a brief Tab call she had with Link before he and Mipha left for Lurelin Village.

"We should be happy for what we have, not sad for what we do not," Link had said. "I've been told that's excellent advice, though following it is easier said than done."

She had to agree with that last part! Losing Astra was painful and hard to be stoical about. Then, suddenly, a voice drew her thoughts back to the present.

"Mother? Are you listening? We can finish another time if you prefer," said Princess Zelda, who had noticed her mother kept becoming distracted.

"No, sorry, sweetheart, I was just lost in thought again for a moment. We're almost done. Please, let's continue."

After going over a final report, Zelda spoke up.

"Well, I think that covers all we need to discuss for today," said Zelda. "And given how I know we both feel, I'm glad we got through it all."

"Yes, I find it hard to keep my mind on business, too," said Princess Zelda.

"But I'm very proud of you, sweetheart. You've shown yourself to be quite capable of accepting more responsibility and handling it well."

"I still benefit from your guidance, Mother. There is no substitute for experience."

"I agree, and I'm happy you're getting so much of it," said Zelda, who then turned and looked out her office window high atop Hyrule Castle.

Princess Zelda followed her gaze and knew what was on her mother's mind, for it had been on hers too for the past week. Her younger sister, someone she deeply loved for seventeen years, was gone. Not dead, of course. But it felt like it, as she was gone from their lives, transported to another timeline.

"I wish Astra had confided in me," said Princess Zelda after a moment. "I could have dealt with her leaving and given her a proper goodbye."

"Could you, dear?" said Zelda. "I think it was easier for Astra not to tell anyone. She was right about long goodbyes being the hardest. Better to spend the remaining time with her being happy and enjoying her company than being miserable thinking about being apart. Could anyone have enjoyed either of her birthday parties knowing it was her last?"

"No, I suppose you're right, Mother," sighed Princess Zelda. "I have to wipe my eyes every time I pass by her room. But I guess the Goddess knows what's best for Hyrule."

"I believe she does," said Zelda. "And those of us who carry her bloodline are sometimes called upon to sacrifice for the good of our people."

They both gazed out the window together at the beautiful view of Hyrule as the sun sank lower and turned orange. Then Princess Zelda spoke up.

"The official announcement about Princess Astra being called by the Goddess to a special mission seems to have been generally accepted," said Princess Zelda. "It's awkward to explain, of course, and some question what happened, what's the nature of the mission, how long will she be gone, things like that. So we have responded that all we know is what we said."

"That's fine. We really do know very little more, and I wish it were otherwise."

There was a flash of orange light as the angle of the setting sun caused its reflection from a window below, and it reminded them of the time.