Chapter 33 - Princess Coronation

Summary: Astra is formally recognized as Princess Zelda of Hyrule, beginning a new chapter in her life.

It was early morning at Hyrule Castle, and Astra was finishing a private breakfast with Queen Zelda. Astra's coronation as Princess of Hyrule was in four days, and that was the topic of discussion.

"Are you excited?" said Zelda. "I know I am, and so is the entire kingdom, from what they tell me."

"I'm excited too, but more nervous than going into battle," said Astra. "I will do my best to fulfill my duties as the Princess. It's just that this is suddenly a new role for me. I never saw myself as the reigning Princess growing up. That duty always fell to my older sister."

"I know you will do fine," said Zelda. "And I will help you. I had a lot of experience as a Princess."

"Yes, you certainly did," laughed Astra.

They both took a sip of tea, then Zelda spoke up again.

"There is one other matter I need to discuss with you, sweetheart," said Zelda, growing serious, as she put her cup down and reached across the table to take Astra's hands in hers. "And I've been putting it off because I deeply regret it. I hope your feelings won't be hurt, but I've given the matter some thought, and I think it is for the best, at least for now."

"I trust your judgment, Mother," said Astra.

"I think it would be unwise to declare that you are my daughter," said Zelda, then quickly went on. "I know that must sound hurtful, and it breaks my heart to say it, as I love you, sweetheart, and never want to see you hurt. But, please hear me out. A good many people already know that you are Link's daughter. To announce to the kingdom that you are my daughter too, well, it makes things complicated. The gossip mongers will say that I bore you out of wedlock and kept you away to avoid a scandal rather than to shield you from the Yiga Clan. It will generate hurtful rumors that will detract from the joy and triumph of your coronation. Do you see what I mean?"

"Yes, I understand perfectly, Mother," said Astra.

"My suggestion is to say as little as possible about your maternal ancestry, and if asked, say that perhaps my grandmother had a sister, and Link married one of their descendants. We don't have to be too specific, as we can explain that family records at the Castle were lost in the Calamity, which is true. But we know you are a blood descendant of the royal family from the sacred power you wield. We will say you stayed far away all these years and only returned when you came of age, which is also true. Only Purah, Paya, and her family, all loyal Sheikah who can be trusted to keep a secret, will know the truth for now."

"That's fine, Mother, and please don't worry about my feelings," said Astra as she smiled and squeezed Zelda's hands. "Your proposal certainly makes for an easier story than some complex time travel tale that people would be skeptical of, anyway. So as long as you know and accept the truth, I'm happy."

"Of course, I accept the truth, sweetheart, and I'm glad you agree," said Zelda. "I ... I truly dreaded having this conversation with you. I know how much you must miss the family you grew up with and, well, and I couldn't bear making you feel rejected by me, the only family you have left here."

Zelda let go of Astra's hands to brush away some tears.

"You aren't hurting me, Mother, and it makes perfect sense," said Astra. "In our hearts, we know we have each other. Anyway, I guess I had better return to work on my speech. Oh, Myra is handling the VIP guest list, right?"

"Yes, that's right."

"I would like to invite the Hanlon family from Hateno Village to the ceremony and buffet lunch afterward. The husband showed me kindness when I first arrived here alone, and later I had dinner at their home. They are a family of four: the husband, the wife, and two young children. They live near the top of a hill north of the village proper. I can let Myra know."