Chapter 54 - Building Good Relations

Summary: Princess Zelda and Randall share their eleventh wedding anniversary. Tiray and Midon begin to get acquainted. Sidon pursues an interest in Arana, one of Tila's cousins from North Hyrule.

The morning sun filtered through the windows of Hyrule Castle, gently rousing Princess Zelda from her sleep. As her eyes fluttered open, she was greeted by the sight of her husband, Randall, already awake and by her side.

"Good morning," he said with a smile, looking into her eyes. "You have such beautiful eyes. They seem to shift with the light from emerald to sapphire and back again. I could get lost in them."

"And you're so sweet to wake up to," she replied as she leaned over to kiss him.

"Are you going to stay in bed with me or get up?" Randall asked after their kiss.

"I'd love to stay in bed with you, sweetheart," she answered. "But did you forget we're meeting with one of Horwell's tutors this morning about his progress? And considering the time, we should get up and get ready."

"Oh, you're right. Well, I may have forgotten that one thing, but I remembered something much more important. Allow me to give you something special," Randall murmured, opening the drawer of the bedside end table. From within, he produced a diamond pendant suspended on a delicate silver chain. "Happy Anniversary, sweetheart. Every moment with you and our son, Horwell, has been a treasure."

Zelda gasped at the sight of it and sat up next to him. "It's gorgeous! And Happy Anniversary to you, too! I was waiting to see if you remembered," she exclaimed.

They embraced and kissed before Randall continued, "Of course, I remembered! Let me help you put it on," as he secured the chain around her neck and fastened the clasp. "Now, your beauty makes the pendant look even better."

"I love it! And I love you - very much," she said as she ran her hand across his cheek. "But ... did we not agree last year when Mother arranged our tenth-anniversary party that we would not exchange anniversary gifts?"

"I clearly recall we discussed not exchanging gifts for our tenth anniversary, dearest. But I don't recall anything being said about our eleventh."

"Very clever! But you know very well it was clearly understood. Now I need to find a way to get back at you!"

"You always do, sweetheart," laughed Randall as they shared another kiss.

"But now we really must get up if there will be time for breakfast before our meeting," she added after a final kiss.

They both rose from the bed, freshened up, and dressed for the day. Then, crossing the hall to their ten-year-old son Horwell's bedroom, they peered in after pushing the door open without making any noise. He was still sound asleep, so they quickly closed it again.

"Let's let him sleep," whispered Zelda. "His first lesson is much later this morning, and he can have breakfast when he gets up, hopefully with Mother."

Randall nodded as they began to stroll down the corridor, hand-in-hand, courteously greeting any castle staff they encountered with a warm "good morning."

As they neared a corner, before turning, they faced one of the royal family portraits that hung in various castle locations. This particular artwork had been commissioned on the occasion of Princess Zelda's younger sister Astra's fifth birthday. That was over thirteen years ago and three years before the tragic assassination of her father, Rudin, by the Yiga Clan. What had once been a happy family of four was reduced to only two. Sensing the wave of emotions these family portraits sometimes stirred in Zelda, Randall gently tightened his grip on her hand. She glanced at him with a smile, gratitude shimmering in her eyes.