Chapter 43 - Am I Still Me?

Summary: Laray brings her sister Tiray home to North Hyrule. If you lose all your memory, are you still the same person? Or not until you recover them?

"It's not much further, Ti. We're almost there," said Laray as she supported her sister Tiray with one arm around her waist.

They were walking through the Luminous Stone-lit tunnel connecting the southeast pier of East Reservoir Lake to Spool Bight, where a boat was waiting to take them home to North Hyrule. Tiray had swum across the lake without difficulty, but suddenly felt unsteady on her feet as they walked through the tunnel.

Now Laray was berating herself for not thinking things through and bringing one of their doctors with her. She had been so overwhelmed by the fantastic news and eager to see her long-lost sister that her only thought was to come as quickly as possible to confirm what seemed impossible.

"Sorry, I seem to have lost all my stamina," said Tiray as she leaned on Laray for support. "I guess my swimming is better than my walking, and my gills work better than my lungs."

"It's okay, Ti, and it's perfectly understandable. You've been inactive underwater for a long time, and we Zoras are built more for swimming than walking. So, let's hold on to each other, and when you're ready, we can continue, but go slowly."

After a few moments, Tiray felt strong enough to resume their walk. And it was almost sunrise, the eastern horizon turning orange, when they emerged from the tunnel and approached the pier.

"Mistress Laray, do you require any help?" said the first officer when he saw Laray helping her sister.

"Thanks, I think we'll be okay now," said Laray as she helped Tiray board. "My sister is feeling very weak. And could we not go full speed? It might unsettle her."

"Of course, as you wish, I will inform the captain," said the first officer as he undid the moorings after Laray and Tiray finished boarding.

"Come, sit down, Ti," said Laray as she helped her sister along.

"I'd prefer to sit away from the back if that's okay."

"Yes, of course, we can sit right here," said Laray as they sat down.

"Thank you, sis, for taking such good care of me," said Tiray with a smile, and Laray had to turn away and brush away a tear, hearing Tiray call her sister.

"Everything will be fine, Ti, I know it!" said Laray as she hugged her around the shoulder. "Your return is a miracle, a blessing from the Goddess. I have to keep telling myself that I'm not dreaming."

The boat pulled away from the Spool Bight pier a moment later and began heading north as the sun rose over the Akkala Sea.

"We can both sleep when we get home," said Laray.

"Rest sounds good right now. I probably overdid it chasing after the ferry."

Tiray closed her eyes and sat silently for a few more moments as the boat glided north, its Ancient Energy propulsion system making a gentle hum. Then Tiray turned to Larry and spoke up again.

"Do we have any other family besides each other?"

"Yes, some cousins, nephews, nieces, relatives like that," said Laray.

"Parents?"

"Both gone, I'm afraid," said Laray. "I know you don't remember, but that happened before you ... before your incident."

"I see," said Tiray as she sighed. "I can tell this is going to be difficult."

"I'll help you, Ti. We will help you."