Chapter 24 - Astra Visits the Thyphlo Ruins

Summary: After some moments with Fi, Astra spends a brief time with Paya's daughter Layna in Castle Town, then sneaks off to the Thyphlo Ruins and learns something important.

It was the evening at Hyrule Castle, and Astra sat in bed updating the diary she was keeping on her Tab.

Year 142 - Month 10 - Day 23

Today marks three weeks since I first arrived here, and we have already made considerable progress.

I met with Kass, Riju, and Yun, the leaders of the Rito, Gerudo, and Gorons. All three have fond memories of my father and recall how he appeased their Divine Beast. But they also shared stories that show his love of all people in Hyrule and how he took time away from his mission to help others in need. That included a Gerudo woman with an ailing husband who needed Molduga Guts for his cure, a Rito mother, Kass's wife in fact, who was worried about her missing child at Piper Ridge, and a young Goron called Yunobo back then who needed a lesson in courage. I'm as proud of my father for the "little" things he did as for the great deeds he is famous for.

At those meetings, Zelda secured the support of their people in any upcoming battle. I think their support was never in doubt, as all free people hate Ganon and his followers for the great harm they have caused and continue to cause.

During a free several days before our scheduled meeting with Kass, I was able to visit the Akkala Region with Dr. Purah. After a brief stop to pray at the Spring of Power, we visited the Ancient Tech Lab, where I met Dr. Robbie's widow Jerrin and their son Granté. I paid my respects to Dr. Robbie, who is buried there. I know he was a brilliant researcher who dedicated his life to destroying the Calamity. May his spirit rest in peace. Jerrin, a former assistant of Dr. Purah, and Granté continue his fine work there.

I detected evidence we were trailed or noticed by the Yiga Clan while there, so we (or rather I) decided we should return to Hateno Village by sea. I was happy to put the sailing skills my father taught me to good use, though I learned in the process that Dr. Purah is prone to seasickness.

Speaking of Dr. Purah, she returned to her lab by Hateno Village after our meeting at Hyrule Castle with Rito Elder Kass. Since then, I have remained here at the castle, only venturing as far as Castle Town on my own.

After an early dinner this evening, I spent the rest of the time before bed going over the pictures in my mother's Sheikah Slate while a heavy rain beat against my bedroom windows. It took a good while but has helped me better understand what life has been like in this Hyrule, especially for my mother.

There were a dozen or so pictures from before the Calamity. Father had told me those were the only pictures that survived after his hundred-year slumber, though he said he seemed to remember Zelda taking more pictures than that, especially of plants and flowers.

However, most pictures on the Sheikah Slate had been taken after the Calamity. The early ones showed various stages of Hyrule's restoration. Among those were even some pictures of my father, taken when he and Zelda traveled across Hyrule, helping to organize its recovery. I copied those to my Tab.

But the majority of the pictures were taken during the twenty years since my father left. Some show more rebuilt Hyrule structures and locations. But others show the officer who would eventually become Zelda's husband, including some pictures of Zelda and him together. They both looked so happy, and I am glad my mother found someone who clearly loved her. There were also pictures of their wedding, obviously taken by someone else, one of which was the same picture I remember seeing in my mother's room. And the last pictures were mostly of Zelda's husband, or both Zelda and her husband, at various locations around the castle and Hyrule.