Chapter 49 - Lake Akkala

Summary:  In the Victory Timeline, Mipha and Link take a memorable day trip to Lake Akkala. Lapha feels frustrated at North Hyrule's secrecy over technology but still wishes to collaborate. Lapha recalls a traumatic incident with her sister Mila and feels she should be home to support her with Midon's recovery.

"A swim down two more waterfalls, sweetheart, and we're there," said Mipha, her voice filled with anticipation.

"I'm very familiar with the area," said Link as he nodded. "I've traveled here before."

"Trust me, you are not familiar with where I am going to take you, sweetheart," said Mipha, who was especially keen to share some memorable underwater experiences unique to Zoras with her cherished husband.

Mipha and Link had decided to spend a day at Lake Akkala, a familiar spot known for its peaceful serenity. Before leaving, they had bid farewell to their eldest daughter, Mila, at their house located by Mikau Lake. She and her brother Midon were the only ones home at the time, but Midon was still in his room when they departed. Their journey began by swimming up two waterfalls, originating from the expansive lake that bordered Zora's Domain.

Mipha was in a very happy mood. Life had never been better for her, and she felt more fulfilled than ever. Being married to Link, the man she deeply loved, and seeing him overcome his previous water limitations, was more than she could have dreamed of. From the start, he had shown nothing but love and consideration. Even as a Hylian, he had agreed to adapt to her aquatic lifestyle, such as sleeping in the water with her. But their life together had improved tremendously since then. Now they could share every waking moment, even enjoying their newfound ability to be together underwater.

Of course, all this had been easier for her than for Link. He was the one who gave up his former life. So now and then, Mipha felt the need to reinforce her hope that he harbored no regrets over his decision.

"Happy to be a Zora?" she asked as they held hands and strolled toward Toto Lake.

"Of course I am! You need to keep asking?" said Link, trying to reassure her. "I admit I was initially shy about it, especially with Zelda. But that was more because I worried needlessly about her reaction. Being your husband the way you always deserved has been nothing short of amazing for me, sweetheart, and I hope for you, too. I know I made the right decision - for both of us."

Mipha squeezed his hand and smiled, feeling reassured once again. Then to lighten the moment, she couldn't help but tease him.

"That's wonderful to know, but I guess how you feel doesn't matter anyway. The change is permanent, dearest, and you're stuck with me forever as Zora to Zora."

"And I don't mind that one tiny drop," laughed Link as he squeezed her hand back, knowing her sense of humor.

The weather was beautiful today, with the mid-morning sun lighting up the sky, its reflection glimmering on the surface of Toto Lake. Mipha and Link waded into its southern edge, frightening away a Hot Footed Frog that scurried out of sight.

"This tiny lake holds some fond memories for me," said Mipha as she grew quiet for a moment, and Link was careful to avoid interruption.

Toto Lake was indeed a treasure chest of childhood memories for Mipha, particularly of her late mother. It was a place where her parents would sometimes take her to swim. One particularly unforgettable moment occurred when she frightened her parents, deliberately letting the water's current carry her over the waterfall and into South Lake Akkala. Her father remembered the incident quite well and sometimes mentioned it, saying it showed his daughter's courage and fearless spirit, even at a tender age. But he would also confess that it wasn't seen that way when it happened. She recalled a time her father had explained the incident to Link.