Chapter 21 - Astra Visits Gerudo Town

Summary: Astra and Zelda travel to Gerudo Town to meet with Chief Riju.

It was morning at Hyrule Castle as Zelda and Astra finished breakfast together.

"Have a bit more eggs if you have room," said Zelda. "We may not be able to stop for lunch and only have time to snack on the road until dinner."

"Good idea," said Astra as she helped herself to another portion of eggs.

Astra and Zelda were beginning their journey to Gerudo Town this morning and hoped to reach the Gerudo Canyon Stable by nightfall.

"You don't mind traveling by horseback now?"

"No, it's an excellent way for me to see Hyrule up close," said Astra after swallowing a bite of eggs. "And we can talk on the way."

"Yes, very true," said Zelda as she smiled at her.

Astra had just finished eating when Myra came to the door.

"The guards and your horses are ready whenever you are, Your Majesty," said Myra. "And I had some water and the food you requested packed with your horses."

"We're both ready now, and thank you, Myra," said Zelda.

"And I will take care of all your routine meetings for the next two days, Your Majesty," said Myra. "So please do not worry about that."

"Myra, you've been such a great help. Remind me to explain to you what a day off means when we return. You need to take one."

"Is that meant as a punishment?" laughed Myra. "I guess I love my job too well. Safe travels!"

Astra and Zelda made their way to the castle entrance, where their horses and four royal guards awaited them.

"Thank you, Captain Rollin," said Zelda as they mounted their horses. "Any reason we cannot take the road south across Hyrule Field and then turn west just south of the Coliseum, stopping briefly at Outskirt Stable?"

"None, Your Majesty," said the Captain. "Two guards will scout the road ahead while two of us stay with you."

"We plan to spend the night at the Gerudo Canyon Stable, then proceed on to Gerudo Town tomorrow morning," said Zelda.

"Yes, that will be fine, and we're all ready," said the Captain.

"Then let's be off," said Zelda as she urged her horse forward, and Astra did the same.

They followed the road through Castle Town and then as it curved south of Mount Gustaf.

"I'm happy to be going on journeys like this again, especially with you," said Zelda as she and Astra rode alongside each other. "I didn't realize how much I missed it after immersing myself in royal duties and remaining at the castle so much. But your being here has revived my enthusiasm for horseback travel."

"I'm glad," said Astra. "And I've come to enjoy riding a horse as well."

The ride was uneventful as they traveled at a steady trot past green fields and small clumps of trees until, after they turned west on the road between the Coliseum and the Great Plateau, a steady rain began falling.

"Luckily, Outskirt Stable is just up ahead," said Zelda, as they picked up the pace and urged their horses forward. "We were planning to stop there anyway to water and feed our horses."

When they arrived, the guards checked the stable and found it empty of other travelers at the moment. Then everyone handed off their horses for care and waited inside the stable. The stable proprietor, seeing Zelda, was quite surprised and eager to offer his assistance. He approached the Captain, who was standing at the doorway to the left of the registration desk and spoke quietly.