Chapter 57 - Echolocation

Summary: Kendal's long absence takes a toll on Mila. Link reminisces about some past events.

The sun was setting in Zora's Domain as Midon spoke with his sister Mila by the shore of Mikau Lake.

"You just wandering about here all by yourself, Mi?" Midon inquired.

"Um, yes, kind of waiting for a message," said Mila.

"Fine, I'll be right back," said Midon as he dove into the lake and ascended the nearby waterfall. A few moments later, he returned.

"Just to show you what a good sport I am, here are three Hyrule Bass for dinner. These are for everyone even though I'm not staying," said Midon as he presented the fish to his sister.

"Good sport? It was your turn anyway, Midon," said Mila. "But why aren't you eating dinner with us?"

"My friend, Logan, is having a small get-together with some of us guys," said Midon. "He just returned from a trip to Lurelin Village and brought back a bunch of porgies. And you know it's best to eat while they're fresh."

"Have fun then," said Mila.

"You okay, Mi? You seem unusually quiet today."

"I guess it must be pretty obvious if even you noticed," said Mila.

"Very funny," said Midon. "But seriously, Mi, is something bothering you?"

"It's Kendal," Mila sighed. "He was supposed to finish his training today, but I haven't heard from him yet. I'm getting worried."

"Well, maybe he'll surprise you later," Midon reassured her.

"I hope so. Anyway, Mom and Dad are inside, so let me bring in the fish while they're fresh. Enjoy the porgies!" said Mila.

Midon nodded and waved while Mila entered the house.

"Mom! Dad! Midon caught dinner for us!" Mila called out, her voice echoing through the unusually quiet house.

Earlier in the day, Linky and his family had returned to North Hyrule, and Lapha was immersed in her work at the Royal Ancient Tech Lab near Hyrule Castle. A moment later, Mipha and Link joined her at the table. Link retrieved three dishes, and they all sat down to eat as Mila took out her Tab and laid it beside her on the table.

"Where is Midon, by the way?" asked Mipha.

"He's off enjoying porgies with his friend Logan," said Mila.

"Great! I think it's good for him to spend time with friends," said Link. "Hopefully, it will help him move on from his breakup."

"Thanks to the captivating Tiray of North Hyrule, I think my dear brother is already moving on from his breakup," laughed Mila. "But we'll see."

As they ate, Mila's eyes darted repeatedly to her Tab, prompting a knowing smile from Mipha.

"You're hoping for a message from Kendal, aren't you, sweetheart?"

"It's that obvious, Mom?" Mila responded, blushing slightly and with a hint of embarrassment in her voice. "But yes, you're right. I find I keep looking at my Tab, even though I know I can connect to it mentally. And I also know that constantly checking it won't make Kendal message me any sooner."

"Has there been no word from Kendal lately?" inquired Link.

"He's been unable to communicate, Dad," Mila explained. "It's been a month now, and his unit's Captain has imposed a no-distractions policy during training, so Tabs are off-limits. He thought perhaps his training would be finished by today, but so far, it seems not."