Chapter 39 - New Time with Old Friends

Summary: Link continues his adjustment to life as a Zora, reminisces a bit, and visits Zelda with Mipha.

It was early morning in Zora's Domain as Mipha, Mila, Midon, and Lapha joined each other for breakfast in their house by Mikau Lake.

"I'm pretty sure it's your turn to catch breakfast, Midon," said Mila.

"Only pretty sure, Mi?" said Midon. "So, you admit you're not infallible anymore? I'm pretty sure you're mistaken. Don't you remember I caught fish for everyone last time?"

"And don't you remember why? It was because you lost a race, and that doesn't change your normal turn to catch breakfast," said Mila.

"Let me just catch today's breakfast," said Lapha as she rose from the table. "By the time you two settle your disagreement, it will be lunchtime, and Midon and I have a morning staff meeting with Dr. Purah at the Royal Ancient Tech Lab."

"Hooray! Dr. Lapha to the rescue!" laughed Midon.

"Thank you, Lapha," said Mipha as Lapha was leaving. "I'm glad that's settled. I have a morning meeting myself today."

"And I have a morning meeting at the Hyrule Castle library," said Mila as they waited for Lapha to return with the fish. "And by the way, Midon, don't think Laff diving in for you this morning changes anything. It's still your turn next time. Maybe you should create a Tab app to keep track of it."

"Very funny, Sis," said Midon. "Maybe you should work on the history of catching breakfast."

Then they both laughed after sticking their tongues out at each other.

"You're both so persistent, just like your Dad," laughed Mipha.

"And we both enjoy teasing those we love, just like our Mom," said Mila. "We inherited the best from both of you."

A few minutes later, Lapha returned with five Hyrule Bass, put one on ice in the kitchen, and brought the rest to the table.

"I left Dad's on ice," said Lapha. "Is he okay, Mom? He's been missing breakfast with the rest of us lately."

"He's doing fine," said Mipha. "We can't be sure, but I think he's simply wading through another wave of recovery as he fully transitions to being one of us. The scientists in charge said it would be a slow process, but I think he's improving. As you know, your father used to have nightmares at first as his mind struggled to reconcile itself to his new body. Those finally floated away, but I could tell his sleep was still troubled sometimes. Lately, his sleep has been longer and deeper, which is healthier for him."

"That sounds encouraging, Mom," said Mila. "Dad's mind has gone through so much trauma it's no wonder it needs extra time to heal."

"With the Shrine of Restoration experience and all the time travel splits and such, I'm amazed Dad can even remember who we are and have true feelings for any of us," said Midon after swallowing a bite of fish.

"Honestly, Midon, are you as witless as a snail?" exclaimed Mila. "How can you be so tactless as to say that in front of Mom? Don't you know how painful a subject that was for her?"

"It's fine, sweetheart, calm down," said Mipha as she patted Mila's hand. "Your father remembers us quite well now and loves us all dearly. My worries about his memory loss and its effect on our feelings for each other are old history. So I'm not upset, Midon. Let's enjoy our breakfast together."

By the time they finished breakfast, it was time for Mila, Midon, and Lapha to catch the next northbound ferry and Mipha to meet with King Dorephan. They exchanged goodbye hugs, and after the other three left, Mipha quietly peeked into her bedroom to make sure Link was alright. He was still sound asleep floating in their slumber pool, so she left the house and headed down the path to the throne room, leaving Link a Tab message on the way. And she also took a moment to check in with the royal guard.