Chapter 55 - Meeting the Family

Summary: In the Calamity Timeline, Fallon's friend Torin cautions him about becoming close to the Hyrule Royal Family. Afterward, Fallon has dinner with Queen Zelda and Princess Astra.

In the early afternoon, during a day off from their patrol duties, Hyrule guards Torin and Fallon were seated at a bustling Castle Town food stall renowned for its exquisite meat dishes.

"Everything alright, Fallon?" Torin inquired, his gaze fixed on his companion. "This Gourmet Meat Skewer is delicious, yet you barely touch yours. Is it pre-dinner jitters? You know you need to eat something."

Fallon, fiddling with his food, sighed. "I know I need to eat, but I'm very nervous. It's not every day one gets to dine with the Princess and Her Majesty, the Queen of Hyrule. And if that wasn't enough, I know the Queen will scrutinize me to decide if I'm a suitable suitor worthy of the Princess's affection. That only adds to the pressure."

"I believe the Princess will help ease the mood. If she genuinely cares for you, she'll also want the evening to be a success."

"That's my hope."

Torin paused to savor another bite, then resumed.

"Fallon, can I be candid? As a friend? Given you have no parents or siblings to offer family guidance, I feel compelled to offer some advice. Just promise not to take offense, alright?"

"You have my word, Torin. You've been a true friend for years."

"Look, I get the allure of dating a beautiful Princess: it's like living a fairy tale, right? But remember, Hyrule's Princesses aren't just royalty. They're mysterious, and, it is said, have some enchantment about them. I'm sure you've spent enough time with her, horseback riding and all, to sense a difference."

"She is extraordinary," Fallon acknowledged. "Though most of our interactions feel normal, there are moments that remind me she's far from ordinary."

"Can you be more specific?"

"I'll give you a simple example that happened early in our time together during one of our all-day rides," said Fallon as he proceeded to describe the event.

We had ridden all morning, and it was a mild sunny afternoon with a gentle breeze that rustled the leaves and fluffed her beautiful blond hair. As always, she looked gorgeous, and when she smiled at me, I .... Um, anyway, we were riding slowly side-by-side through Hickaly Woods just southeast of the Dueling Peaks, enjoying the scenery and each other's company.

"Let's quickly veer to the right, Fallon," she said suddenly as she tugged on the reins, nudging her horse in that direction. "There's a bear up ahead, and it might spook the horses."

"Good thinking," I said, steering my horse alongside hers. My eyes searched the woods, but I found no trace of the bear.

As we neared the river, curiosity got the better of me. "As a guard, I'm trained to spot danger, but I didn't see any sign of a bear. How did you know?"

She gave a small laugh, and it was light and teasing. Her laugh is so sweet and musical - I love every moment of it! Oh, um, back to the point.

"Everyone has their secrets. Maybe trying to discover mine will be fun for us both."

I couldn't help but smile. "I'm certainly keen on that. But, a small hint, perhaps? I really would like to know."

"Okay," she said with her cute smile that always melts my heart. "Let's just say we have a knack for sensing danger. Or, if something magical is too much for you, perhaps I noticed fresh bear tracks. Do either of those answers satisfy your curiosity?"