Chapter 52 - Bad Choices

Summary: In the Calamity timeline, Astra continues her relationship with Fallon and shares their first kiss. A kidnapping plan goes wrong, revealing Astra's hidden side to Fallon.

"Last call! Visiting hours are over in ten minutes," the prison guard announced in a loud voice as he strolled up and down the visitor room adjoining the castle lockup.

"Sorry I couldn't get here earlier today," said Frond to his younger brother Frank. "I needed to work the crowd. Our funds are pretty tight, you know. Are they still treating you well in here?"

"Yeah, it's not too bad. Six months of free room and board, and I only have four months to go. The work's not too tough, either, just not always enjoyable."

"I told you that you weren't ready, Frank, not skilled enough yet," whispered Frond. "Pickpocketing is an art that takes practice. You're lucky you got off easy. The judge considered it was only your first offense, and you didn't steal that much loot either."

"Yeah, and you were right, of course," whispered Frank as he shook his head. "That guard, Fallon, curse him, caught me dead to rights. But speaking of Fallon, when I was on work duty at the castle stables, cleaning up after all those filthy horses, I overheard something interesting. Two of the attendants were talking about Fallon. They said they thought Fallon's been riding with the Princess of Hyrule, just the two of them. They figured that out because they each take out and return horses at about the same time. If so, it would be a great chance for our gang to give Fallon some payback and maybe cash in somehow."

"Yeah, right. Don't believe everything you hear, Frank," laughed Frond, who continued in a softer voice. "And no doubt the Queen of Hyrule goes apple picking all by herself in the forest, so maybe we should check on her too. Are you daft, man? I'm sure the Royal Guard is shadowing the Princess wherever she goes, especially after their humiliation at not protecting the Queen's husband from being assassinated."

"Well, that's what I heard," insisted Frank. "The attendants thought it might be true, they said, because none of the Royal Guards checked out or returned horses at those times."

"Alright, we'll look into it," said Frond. "If it is true, we might be able to exploit it and profit from it."

"Okay, everyone, finish up your conversations. Visiting time's over," shouted the prison guard.

"Say hi to the gang for me," said Frank as they both rose to depart, and a guard appeared to take Frank back to his cell.

It was just 9 p.m. as Frond left the visiting room and returned to Castle Town. He wanted to catch his old classmate Milton before he finished closing his gourmet butcher shop. He and Milton were good friends from way back, but Milton had opted for honest work and a family, while Frond took a different path in life.

Milton had just closed his stall and was wrapping two unsold steaks when a stranger approached with his hood pulled so far down that it hid his face. Milton had his back turned to him at first and was startled when he turned back to see him.

"Oh! Sorry, Sir, we've just closed for the day," Milton began until he recognized the stranger in the dim light. "Frond, why the hood? I didn't recognize you at first."

"Hi, Milton. As much as possible I like to keep a low profile in Castle Town," laughed Frond. "Any leftovers tonight?"

Milton looked up from the premium cuts of meat he was wrapping. "Well, there are these two steaks I have left," he replied, holding them up. "They're choice cuts and will still be good for a few more days. But regulations say today's the last day I can sell them. If you don't take them, they'll be tomorrow's dinner for my family."