Chapter Twenty: Therefore, It Is My Business.

"Do not make it a habit of apologizing for your friends." Freya Grey did not have to look up to know Remus Lupin's lips were pinched up to the side of his face. It had been three days since the incident and, aside from Lily giving Sirius and James one hell of verbal lashing, things returned to as they had been a few weeks ago. Signing off the last word in her essay, her gaze turned up to his scarred face. "It is a kind sentiment, but unnecessary."

"They're really much better once you get to know them." He sat down across from her, his peace-making chocolate sweet still in hand. Though, he felt foolish handing it to her since she was not remotely upset with him.

"I'll have to take your word for it." She decided to save the sweet for later since the librarian was not keen on people eating there. Her head tilted slightly. "Does chocolate help with apologizes?"

"It never hurts." The brunette boy replied, and she made a slight hum of understanding. "Though you are more than welcome to get me chocolates whenever you want." One of her slight curved smiles went on her face which Remus learned signaled she thought it was funny, it was a slightly different expression from her pleased smile, but very different from her small socially forced smile. He found the difference was all in the eyes. He rested his chin on his hand. "How did everything go with Severus?"

She frowned slightly. "The plan failed."

"Sorry." Insecurity formed in his stomach and his mood fouled. It was all his fault. "I thought because you two sat together today..."

"Oh, we're fine." The curly-haired girl interrupted then stared at her notebook with light longing. "It's just I had come up with another plan after that one that I didn't get to use. I thought it was quite good."

"I see." His brows raised in understanding, and it boggled his mind at how strange she seemed at times. Not that he minded. Gently, he nudged his chin at her papers. "What are you working on?"

From behind ceiling-high shelves, a pale, oily-haired boy watched them in disappointment. Freya was his friend. His academic equal and only person aside from Lily Evans to show him sweet kindness. She had gifted him his first properly fitting sweater and let him speak extensively about his experimental potion-making. Now she was speaking to Remus Lupin of all people. He understood Lily's point(though he did not like it). Lily was kind to all and a member of his house, while Freya was none of those things.

His dark eyes burned holes into Remus' head as the tall boy hid a grin in his palm. Every fiber of Sev's body was on high alert. Something was not right with Remus Lupin, Lily and Freya just did not know it.

***

Sirius Black went to the library out of sheer spite, after Remus claimed he was boycotting doing his Ancient Runes homework and called him lazy and unapplied. The insults did not bother him, but, he fully intended on making a scene of going to the library in order to guilt-trip Remus.

With more papers than any person should need in his arms and light bits of smudged purple eye shadow under his eyes, he combed through shelves.

To his surprise, it was quite fun. Not the books, but the chance to interrupt couples in the middle of making out by making weird noises or giving a cheeky comment was quite entertaining. He wondered if that was the real reason Remus was always in here.

After scaring two fourth years so bad one of them bit the other's lip so hard it started to bleed, Sirius let out a loud laugh which he knew would get him kicked out... if he got caught that is.

Quickly circling around the shelves, he ran into the first aisle he saw and picked up a random book in it. When the librarian passed with her thick glasses and wrinkling skin, he pretended to be very engaged in reading, evening pointing along with it. She rolled her eyes and went back to her desk hoping retirement would come soon.

Once she was gone, Sirius heard to girls Ravenclaw giggling and looking at him. He quickly flashed them a charming grin and winkled, then his eyes dropped to the book.

Wand Warts And Other Sexually Transmitted Diseases.

"It's not mine-" Before he could finish the sentence, the two girls had already scurried away.

Putting the book back, he decided to get out of the health section. From across the room, he picked out a familiar slick and smelly black-haired boy peering from the corner of a shelf. Snivellus.

With his back turned and his attention focused elsewhere, oh the stars had aligned in Sirius' favor. But what was he so focused on? Did Snivellus have a crush? The day was getting better and better.

Tracing Severus' line of vision, Sirius followed the trail down to a table.

On the table was his dear and close friend, Remus Lupin, and the most arrogant and cold person he's ever met, Freya Grey. Quickly a frown formed on his face, he did not trust her one bit, not after the duel during Defense Against The Dark Arts class. She must have been up to something.

***

"What do you want with Lupin?" Sirius Black glared daggers into the side of Freya's head as she stirred their potion in a pot the next day. Another seat randomization from Slughorn and another challenge. Essence of Insanity, which Freya found particularly fitting.

Halting her mincing for a moment, she shot him a glance, then continued. "What?"

"You're hanging out with Remus; I want to know why."

"I don't see how that is any of business."

"He's my friend. Therefore, it is my business."

"He is his own person." She stated, still working on the project at hand. Once she combined the herbs with the frog brain, she turned rather seriously and met his gaze. "But if you must know, I fully intend on tainting him in all the cold, dark, devious ways snakes do." With a light shrug, she continued stirring the potion. "Perhaps we'll start a cult."

He crossed his arms. "You're not funny."

"What a shame."