Chapter Twenty Three: Just Something I've Noticed.

By his third year, Severus Snape had memorized all of the potions recipes and dark arts spells in the seventh year syllabus. By fourth year, he had improved on them, made shortcuts advanced potion masters could not, and strengthened them to be three times as powerful. By fifth year, he branched out to inventing and tinkering spells and potions. Now, in his sixth year, he had successfully produced five different spells and various potions on his own.

Though he lack a certain prowess and fashion sense, he made up for that in his intelligence and was very proud of it. If he could not laugh with them, he would laugh at their stupidity. It was a motto he adopted after his third conversation with Freya Grey.

And after several months of observation, Severus had come to the conclusion Remus Lupin was hiding something very dark from Lily Evans and Freya.

All this to say, Severus Snape was not a foolish boy.

However, on occasion, his attempts to be subtle would be laid on rather thick. For example, though he meant to make a casual comment at breakfast, it came out as a random string of words followed by a stoic face. "Have you ever noticed how Lupin always becomes more irritable one week every month?"

"So, does Freya, Severus. It's nothing special." Regulus Black commented, not even looking up from his Quidditch magazine.

Freya glared at him as she took a sip of her orange juice. Then she turned her attention back to Sev. "Since when have you had an interest in Remus' behavior?"

He blinked and shrugged. "Just something I've noticed that's all."

Just then, Lily walked up to their table and dropped down next to them. "Are you excited for the Quidditch game today?"

The first thing Sev noticed when she sat down, red hair slightly tangled and thin snake painted on her cheek, was the strong scent of her perfume. It was a sweet floral smell that made him instantly relax.

"If by excited you mean ready to throw up, then yes." Regs replied, his stomach filled with jitters. It was Ravenclaw V. Slytherin, which meant their strategy had to be perfect.

"I don't see why. Based on their scores last match they have the weakest team in the whole school. Their seeker couldn't even spot the snitch until twenty minutes into the game." Freya moved her eggs around her plate. "Plus she wears glasses, so she's one well-time bludger from being completely useless." Regs hid a smile in his hand, and Sev let out a slight cough that covered his slight laugh, but Lily looked disturbed. The dark-haired girl noticed and then added, "Not saying they should do that, but it is still a possibility."

Lily took a big swig of grape juice and started questioning the incident that led to a Hufflepuff seeker breaking their arm.

But, Sev looked at both girls with a pleased smile on his face, they both were special in their own ways, and still managed to be dear to his heart, one slightly more than the other; however, both important nonetheless. Yet, there was a pinch of dread circling in his mind as he watched Remus Lupin walk out of the Great Hall, his shoulders tense. He reeked of bad news.

Severus knew if that Lily Evans and Freya Grey would not leave Remus Lupin alone solely based on his word. He just needed proof and he was going to get it.

***

After breakfast, Severus, Lily, and Regulus went down to the Quidditch pitch while Freya went to send a letter to the owlry. Most students were already with the rest of the school outside or hiding in their dorms until the games were over, so no one would question why Freya was sending transcribed Arabic spells to the ministry.

Once she finished walking back down the long stairs, she was already wondering about when she would be able to send another one. Christmas was coming up and funds would be rather dry soon.