Chapter Seventy Five: Happy To Be Back.

Freya Grey's bone structure looked sharper to James Potter when school came around. He was unsure if she was thinner or the harsh lighting of the Head Students carriage mixed with her narrow eyes was what had brought the edges out in her face. Unlike him, she donned only the clothes she came in, lacking the luxurious black cloak with the golden Head Boy pin James had draped over his shoulder like a towel.

Arms folded over her chest, she asked, "How? "

"You think you're shocked. I thought this was all just an elaborate prank by Sirius till now." James admitted, tucking away the sweater Remus Lupin had requested Freya give him (mainly so she could experience the same shock the rest of them did upon finding out James Potter was Head boy).

"You terrorized the school for years."

"I made it a more lively place." He countered, riffling through his suitcase. "Speaking of which, we need to hang out at some point to figure out our first prank of the year."

"I'll send you my schedule." Freya's eyes wandered around the Head Student carriage; it was much larger than the others on the Hogwarts Express, not to mention plushier. She could not even step foot in it. 

Before she left, he called for her.

"Wait..." He stuck his hands into the pockets of his suitcase, digging deeply in the corners, and Freya rested her shoulder on the door of the cabin, facing the rest of the hall. "Regulus mentioned he's never read a comic before and... here."

She took it from him, a thin, brightly colored book with bold lettering. "Batman."

"It's for Regulus; I don't need you ruining it with all your logic," James warned, and she shot him a look.

"Excuse me, Ms., but, this cart is reserved for Prefects." A smooth voice came from behind Freya, and she recognized it instantly. Barty Crouch Jr. had a smirk on his face when she turned to him. He was dressed head to toe in near-black navy. "I am afraid it is my duty to enforce the rules." Faux authority tickled his words, and then his gaze ran up her. "Summer's treated you well, Freya."

"Always the charmer." She noted, unable to recall a single conversation where he had not complimented her in some way.

He seemed proud of that comment and put his hands behind his back. "Visiting Lily, I assume?"

"Potter, actually," James said, sticking out of his compartment.

"The famous James Potter, a prankster Head boy? Interesting." Barty mused, eyes glittering. "Head boy and Gryffindor captain. Busy bee."

For some reason, James felt he was thrust into a standoff with Barty, unsure how or exactly why that was the case. Though he assumed, Barty assumed, James's relationship with Freya was more scandalous than it really was. An idiotic notion that made James slightly awkward. "The busiest."

***

It was only a short time until Freya walked down the corridor, trying not to get hit by first-years or stray students. The train had departed not long ago, but an occasional student was still bumping around, trying to find somewhere to put their luggage. Genuinely, she understood the first year's struggle, but anyone older who still lugged theirs around instead of shrinking it must have been dropped as a child.

Freya pushed into the next carriage and was almost immediately knocked to the ground. Before she could mutter an apology, she fully saw who it was. Evan Rosier. His attention fell on hers, and his deep voice came out coldly. "Watch your step, mouse."

A few words were ready on her tongue, but the sound of a door opening cut them short. Regulus Black's head popped out of his compartment.

After a tense second, the corners of Evan's lips curled up, and his attention shifted to the boy. "Black."