Chapter Sixty Six: Asleep.

It wasn't a cold night, but that didn't stop the chills going up James Potter's spine as he stumbled into the clearing. Magic tugged at him as he pushed through the barrier. He burst through the already open door of the lab. Even through his fogging glasses, he could see Sirius Black standing in the center of the room, hands running through his hair frantically. "We should have stayed; we should have at least cleaned up our mess." He kicked a stool, sending it clattering to the ground. "Fuck." James cleaned his glasses with the edge of his shirt, and once he put them back on, he was greeted by Sirius's stormy eyes. "Longbottom could have waited."

"She had said it was okay." James reminded him, but there was malice in the other boy's gaze. "I know you're stressed and scared--"

"Stressed?" Sirius snapped, taking a step closer to his friend. "Freya's in the bloody hospital!"

"You think I don't know that?" The brown-eyed boy shouted back, and Sirius cast his attention to the side. Frustration burned into James, along with concern. Finally, the first burned out, leaving him with the latter emotion. He looked around the room, then at Sirius. "Freya knows every herb in here like the back of her hand. Do you really think she would accidentally poison herself at this point?" Sirius's gaze went over the room, and James tried to pull things together before Sirius could tear them apart. "Look, we don't know what happened; there's no point in blaming ourselves or each other right now."

Sirius's attention moved through the room, causing his brows to pinch, then his face smoothed. "Severus." Hard determination and focus came into his mania. "He knows; he found her."

James could not help but scoff. "Like Severus would ever tell us."

"He will if we make him," Sirius said fiercely, bolting for the door.

James jumped in front of him and pushed Sirius back with his palms. "Enough." Sirius's jaw was set and his temper was rising through the room. Was he honestly planning to hurt someone over this? Disturbed by the notion, James looked at Sirius. "What's wrong with you?" Once James said that, Sirius's gaze dropped to the ground, flinching at the words. James had known Sirius for a long time so he was only a second behind Sirius's train of thought. Regret strummed through James. "Padfoot..."

"I have to talk to Severus," Sirius begged, not meeting James's eyes. "I need to know if I..." 

Sirius Black was a lot of things, there were a billion flaws in him, but he was, most importantly, James Potter's best friend. Brothers without blood. And James knew his brother was a good man born into a cruel family. Sirius bore the scars of his past in his mind. 

They told him he was poison. 

But they were wrong. James rested his hand on Sirius's arm. "I'll go with you."

***

When the duo made it to the hospital wing, Lily Evans was leaving. They ran to the door, and she spoke before Sirius Black could ask his question. "Freya's doing alright; Pomfrey's keeping her asleep until they're sure she's better." The redhead cast her glance back at the door. "Regulus is still there; I wouldn't recommend going in."

"Thanks for the advice, Lily." James Potter patted her shoulder as he opened the door and turned to Sirius. "You stay out here."

"James--"

Before Lily could finish, he was already slidding into the grand stone room. It was cold. He bound up to the familiar cot, trying not to let the sickness in his stomach reflect in his expression when he saw Freya Grey's body. She looked so dead. Quickly, he focused on the two people in chairs. Regulus Black's eyes were already set him on fire, and Severus Snape's barely woken-up gaze turned to annoyance.