Chapter Forty Three: These Things Can Be Overwhelming.

Remus Lupin was not a fan of black-tie. It made him painfully aware that he was not handsome (and rather disturbing looking, in his opinion).

Despite this, he stood awkwardly arm in arm with Lily Evans at the Slug Club event. He sipped his cup of cider and watched the dance floor nervously. His skin could feel the eyes on them, but he wasn't sure if it was because he was deformed or because Lily was very attractive.

To be honest, he was vaguely aware that Lily was a beautiful girl most times since her personality was so glowing it out-shined everything else. However, in her moss green dress that flowed freely on her tall frame, it was impossible not to take notice. Everyone was probably wondering how on earth he managed to persuade her for this date. Remus marveled at the irony of that for a moment, since it was her who convinced him.

Long curtains draped and curled over the stone walls of the room, it was supposed to make it festive, but Remus could not help but feel like he was drowning. People in pretty dresses and nice gowns floated through the room, grinning and dancing, breathing in the sweet cider and the warm fire. It was like he was watching it off a screen that he had neither the face nor the elegance to be on.

"Are you alright, Remus?" The redhead placed a hand on his bicep, snapping him out of his long-winded self deprecating-thoughts.

"A little tired that's all." He managed a small smile, but he could see her concern. "I'm fine— Oh, perfect timing, Marlene's just arrived."

Quickly, his date's green eyes darted over to the entrance where Marlene McKinnon stood with her date Frank Longbottom. Both also looked extremely beautiful despite the fact that neither of them seemed like they were taking the dance too seriously. Marlene spun the fabric of her maroon shawl on her arm like a helicopter and Frank attempted to jab her through the whirlwind.

Lightly, Lily bounced, unable to hide her excitement and she smiled brightly, that made Remus laugh a little and he tilted at them. "You should go greet her."

"I'm spending time with you." She insisted, keeping her grip on his quite firm.

"I want to sample the cakes. Go, please, before they take someone's eye out." He added a gentle smile, and she studied him for a moment.

"Alright, save me a cake." Quickly, she pressed a kiss on his cheek and then bounded off to Marlene.

Remus did not see the moment they met since he was inspecting the cream cakes, but he heard Marlene shout, "My favorite ginger!" followed by a loud grunt. Soon Remus settled in a nice corner spot, that made it easy to keep track of Lily and avoid talking to other people.

Since he had no book and the place was almost too loud to think, Remus tried his best to observe his surroundings watching the pairs of couples move around together, finding the contrast amusing. For example, Lucious Malfoy and Priscilla Gaunt were near the center with other members graciously and pridefully speaking of Merlin knows what in perfectly matching all-black outfits. While in the corner of the room, a young girl and Xenophilius Lovegood, a fair-haired and pasty boy, stood in very bright, yet uncoordinated clothing. She had a puffy pink dress and glittery makeup on her rounded features, while Xenophilius wore a metallic yellow dressing gown with a strange hat. He was very animated as he spoke to her and she maintained a kind smile, though she seemed nervous to be at the party. Then her head drifted to the entrance briefly at first, then for a long moment, her mouth popping open gently.

Brow furrowed, the young werewolf's eyes shifted to the entrance as a group of sharply and darkly dressed individuals. Most were stunning, and if they weren't stunning they were at least elegant. Not a single scar in sight.