Chapter 4: Part III

"It’s been three days already, right, Arata-san?” Wave stretched, kicking some sand into the firepit. He glanced at the path ahead, the two had been travelling in the forest for some time, so travelling a less solitary path was something Wave longed for, also considering the fact that Arata wasn’t the best person to make small talk with.
“You should head back to the capital now.” Arata said, dematerializing his scythe as he walked away from the clearing.
“I said I was going to accompany you until I saw Seryuu.”
“Your presence there will only prove problematic. And there is another matter,” Arata turned to Wave, noting his resolve he sighed. “The doctor who will be performing the surgery on Seryuu was a colleague of Stylish, but after he discovered what a number of his scientific breakthroughs were used for, he faked his death and deserted the empire.” Wave stepped back surprised, noting this Arata continued. “Do you understand what this means Wave-san? If you go with me and when you return, you are ordered to give out his location, you will either have to comply, or if you were to withhold anything and your superiors found out, you would be deemed a traitor and most likely executed.”
“Go home Wave-san.” Arata said quietly, walking away.

“They’re done.” Akame said to the sitting Hijiri, who studied the revolutionary army’s transport from the top of the cliff.
“Then let’s get out of here. You mind calling noodle boy so we can leave.” Hijiri said hopping to a stand.
Lubbock spotted the approaching Akame, “Are we leaving now?” he asked. Nodding in confirmation, Akame walked to the carriage closest to them. “We need to move as fast and as inconspicuous as possible, so this carriage here has been ordered to take us to the next stronghold.”
“Another stronghold this soon.” Lubbock muttered tiredly, climbing into the carriage to take a seat beside Akame.
“Even though you barely did anything?” Hijiri asked with a cheeky smirk as he leaned by the edge of the carriage.
“Tsk, but is the revolutionary army ready to advance?” Lubbock asked with a slight frown, his question catching Akame’s interest.
“According to Najenda’s reports, yes. Now then.” With a grunt, Hijiri hopped into the carriage through the open back, nearly slamming his head into the roof, and approached the coachman. “Let’s get going.”
Turning back to Akame and Lubbock, he said, “The both of you should rest a bit, I’ll watch for now.”
Dusk of the second day had set in as the carriage continued to push onwards. “We’ll arrive at the imperial army’s citadel in an hour or so.” The coachman said, sparing the assassins a glance.
“You should get some sleep, Hijiri-san, at least before we get there.” Akame stated, gaining a look from the impassive Hijiri.
“Yeah, you’ve got to get some sleep, we can’t have you holding us back during the next attack…” Lubbock said, crossing his arms, “…it’s not like you’ll join the fight seeing as you have those convenient summons, so we don’t have to worry.” Hijiri chuckled softly, returning his gaze to the carriage’s roof. “To think noodle brain here would be this concerned.  Don’t worry, I’m pretty durable.” The carriage halted slowly, startling the three inside. “Are we there already?” Lubbock asked, cautious.
“There’s a checkpoint ahead, so you’ll have to leave here.” The coachman said, his gaze fixed ahead.
“Could it be that they know of our attack on the previous stronghold?” Lubbock questioned, peeking out of the carriage.
“I don’t think so, it could be a normal thing for some fortresses.” Akame replied, her hand on her katana’s handle. Moving swiftly, Hijiri grabbed his claymore and dived out of the carriage, Lubbock and Akame following. Sprinting through the forest, he looked from the soldiers who had stopped the carriage to the torches that lit the stronghold’s walls.
“We should wait till the dead of night before we strike, it seems too busy.” Hijiri said, crouching and using his finger to trace out a map, marking points in and around the stronghold.
“It would have been a lot easier if we had a vantage point.” Lubbock dropped on his end with an exasperated sigh. “The walls are too high for us to use the surrounding tree tops.” Akame said, crouching to examine the layout Hijiri had created.
“But what if we use the walls as our vantage point...” “How exactly?” Lubbock cut in asking, “…I’m getting there noodle brain. If the walls are that high, we should be able to see the entire stronghold.” Hijiri explained. “But the problem with that is that it is a moonless night, so we won’t be able to see well.” Lubbock said, his arms still crossed.
“Then let’s move now, noodle brain, you place the explosives by the edges of the walls and in their armory, Akame-chan, you’ll provide cover for him.” Hijiri said gesturing at the makeshift map he marked in the sand.
“And where exactly is the armory, I don’t have a map I can rely on.” Lubbock said, annoyed. Marking a point on the map he traced out on the ground, Hijiri pointed. “Here, about two hundred meters from the western wall.
“Doesn’t that mean I have to get all the way to the other side of the citadel?” Lubbock asked studying the makeshift map closely. “The gates at the west are gonna be where we’ll get in from, if we want to make our move now. Besides we can’t risk going through the front gate considering how tight security is.” Hijiri explained glancing at the walls. “So you actually memorized the map, Hijiri-san?” Akame asked. Waving it off, Hijiri returned his attention to the map, “Right here…” he indicated at a point marked as west on the map “…there’s a passage where food and garbage is transported in and out of the stronghold. According to our intel, getting in through the door there will guide us to a passage way leading to the top of the wall.”
Hijiri took a deep breath, scanning the two. “I’ll take out the ones on the walls and guide you two through the stronghold…” “I don’t think we’ll need such methods.” Akame stated, her gaze still on the map. Hijiri held up his hand and continued, “…I’m not doubting your skill or anything, this will also help you know the exact location of the targets.” He handed Akame a small black stone, saying, “Anytime it gets hotter, just know that there’s a bunch of soldiers nearby and if it gets unreasonably cold, you’ve gotten to your target. The signal to activate the explosives would be a large pillar of flames from the top of the wall.”
“I’m quite impressed that you had planned this far out, guess I was wrong about you.” Lubbock shrugged with a small smile.
“Get used to it noodle brain. Besides, just like Akame-chan called me out for earlier, I have faith in your skill and experience.” Hijiri said chortling at the annoyed Lubbock. “Let’s go then.” Hijiri, Lubbock and Akame all nodded in agreement and separated.
Lubbock crouched on a tree branch, his arms crossed across his chest with his palms open. “Anytime now…”  he said with a grunt as his threads suddenly grew slack. “Ok Akame, it looks like he has opened the door for us.” Lubbock whispered, hopping down from the tree.
“Huh?! What’s…” a firm bandaged hand clamped on the guard’s mouth and in a swift motion his neck was snapped and he crumpled to the ground. He snuck by the outer edge of the wall spotting a sleeping guard. Unsheathing his claymore, he swung horizontally, swiftly beheading the guard and sprinting forward. He glimpsed down as he raced across the wall, spotting a patrol nearing the duo. Clenching his fist, Akame and Lubbock halted, glancing around the surroundings as they spotted the nearing squadron of soldiers.
There are three guards approaching from the right. Akame contemplated, easing her grip on the now cool stone and drawing her blade. She gestured to Lubbock who slowly backed away, setting traps with his threads. Akame sprinted out of cover, her right arm gripping her katana tightly, swinging at the first’s throat, she spun and swung her blade diagonally, the metal ripping through the soldier’s uniform and flesh easily. Startled, the third guard hopped back hoping to avoid Akame’s swing. He touched his neck, frowning as he felt blood dribble out of the shallow cut across it, a shudder following afterwards as he collapsed on the ground choking, Murasame’s poison taking effect.
“I’ve set up the explosives on the walls here, it’s the armory that’s left.” Lubbock said tinkering with his gloves as he approached Akame.
“Very well, it seems that Hijiri-san would be giving us the signal soon.” Akame replied, noting Hijiri’s vague form making his way across the walls.
“That bastard’s actually doing something, what a relief.” Lubbock sighed. They sprinted across the stronghold soon arriving at the well-lit armory, two soldiers guarding it, one at either side. “You take the one closer to us, I’ll take the other.” Lubbock stated quietly, moving his fingers to adjust his threads.
“It seems Hijiri-san has other plans.” Akame replied, clenching her fist tightly around the heated rock. Opening her palm as the stone cooled down, she noted the blinking pattern the black stone gave off and nodded at Lubbock. “It’s definitely Morse code.” He stated, his right hand holding up his chin.”
“He says he’ll assist us with the guard furthest from us, while we handle the closer one.” Akame stated, her gaze shifting from the stone to Lubbock. “Let’s move then.”
An arrow whistled through the air, lodging itself in the eye of the soldier at the right side of the building, the second guard- startled -stumbled back into Akame’s wide swing, blood trailing the blade as it tore through the soldier’s flesh. Swinging both arms, threads wrapped around the corpses and dragged them into the alleyway beside Lubbock. Turning to the window of the arsenal, Lubbock lined the frame with his threads and yanked his arm back, neatly cutting out a midget shaped hole. “I’ll be back in a bit.” Akame nodded as he dived through the hole. Lubbock frowned when he scanned through the fairly lit weapons, unwanted memories of his time in the military resurfacing. Opening the brown satchel at his side, he placed the explosives by the walls and a few weapon racks, pausing as a set of shadows moved past the backroom window. He sighed in relief and set up the last explosive, leaping through the cut window.
“All set.” Lubbock whispered, dusting himself off.
“We should signal Hijiri-san now.” Akame stated receiving a nod from Lubbock right before she crushed the stone in her palm.
Hijiri looked up as the black stone in his hand shattered. “They’re done, huh.” He muttered drawing out his claymore from a guard’s corpse, blood and innards dripping from it.
LET’S KILL ‘EM ALL! Hijiri smirked as he raised his right arm, a large pillar of fire lighting up the moonless night.
   An eerie silence settled over the citadel, a chain of explosions signaling the chaos that ensued. Cracks ran up the walls as they collapsed into the buildings below. Hijiri tossed his claymore and leapt off the crumbling wall, landing with a roll. He dusted himself and picked his blade, noting the ensuing chaos around him; the panicking soldiers, the rubble that were formerly buildings and the variation of corpses, both the burnt and the crushed, and a yell that attracted his attention. It was that of a fatigued towering soldier who held up a large silver mallet. The soldier was much bigger than Hijiri in both muscle and height, but he ignored that, instead taking note of the torn sleeves that revealed cuts across his burly arms, his breathing was ragged and his left eye was partly shut as blood found its way down his face.
An imperial arms user? His left would be his blind spot but judging by the fact he’s holding the mallet in his right, that should be his stronger side and also… Hijiri glanced behind the soldier, making out an unmoving figure amidst the smoke and rubble …someone’s watching us. Najenda didn’t tell me anything about the other commanders in the resistance developing any interest in me, so it’s gotta be the empire, but they shouldn’t even know about me. A grunt snapped him out of his thoughts as he ducked the soldier’s swing and swiftly hopped back.
“Oi, is that an imperial arm?” Hijiri asked, lifting up his claymore before him and holding the handle with his second arm, taking a battle stance. 
“Does it matter? Terrorist, you’ll fall by my hand soon.” The soldier said angrily, holding the mallet low and sprinting towards Hijiri. I can’t go all-out against this guy, not while that one is watching. Hijiri huffed leaping away once more from the soldier’s swing. He crouched and dashed forward, spinning to the right just before the mallet collided with his skull and drew his claymore in a slant manner, tearing through the warrior’s leg, causing him to stumble. They’re still there?! Hijiri glowered at the figure, turning to his right in surprise as the sledgehammer whistled through the air, a few inches from his face. He shielded his face with his blade, the mallet slamming it, dispersing sparks through the air as Hijiri skidded back a few paces.
“Tch, I was careless.” Hijiri muttered, his right arm falling to the side numb. A stun ability, it’s like that huh? Stage 1. He tightened the grip on his claymore as the bandages wrapped around his fingers were reduced to cinders, the crimson cracks on his blade glowing brighter in response. The soldier dashed forward, spinning a few paces from Hijiri and swung his mallet. Vibrations ran through the soldier’s arms as the handle clashed against the blunt side of Hijiri’s claymore. Closing the distance, Hijiri threw a jab at his adversary’s torso, knocking him back, sprinting after him with his blade in his right arm, Hijiri swung at the soldier’s right, severing his arm.
The guard clutched his bleeding shoulder tightly, staring down the white-haired swordsman. The flames from the surroundings grew brighter for a moment and he stepped back in surprise. “Co…Commander Hijiri is that you?” The words spilled from the soldier’s mouth, startling Hijiri who frowned afterwards.
“Who the hell are you?” Hijiri asked, his annoyed tone coming off as a deep rumble as he took a step closer to the guard. He froze in his tracks, realization dawning on him as the flames illuminated the soldier’s face.
“Commander, you remember me, right?” He asked desperately, stumbling as blood continued to spill out of his armless shoulder. Hijiri’s face darkened and he lowered his blade, calmly closing the distance between the two. “Thank you for your service.” His claymore cleaved through the warrior’s neck, the head dropping by his feet with a thud, the betrayed expression sickening the Order of Flames. Turning around enraged, Hijiri threw his flaming claymore at the figure in the smoke, a loud explosion echoed through the somewhat silent night, the flames growing brighter. Pulling out his blade, he noticed the piece of dark brown cloth held by it, he brought it up to his nose, inhaling strongly before he stuffed it in his pocket with a frown. A whimper close to Hijiri caught his attention and he approached cautiously, his blade sheathed as he saw a soldier who had most of her body pinned down by rubble. She choked back a sob, her left arm outstretched as Hijiri approached her. He crouched in front of her, noticing her bloodied face and bloodshot eyes. “P…plea…se hel…p m…me.” She muttered desperately between sobs.
“Most of your body has been crushed by the rubble, you’re not gonna make it.” Hijiri replied solemnly.
“I do…I don’t wan…wanna die.” Fresh tears spilled down her face, her sobs interrupted by occasional wincing.
“Do you have a family?” he asked, an emotionless expression present as he held her gaze.
Her bloodshot eyes widened in surprise as she swallowed. “Ye…yes I have a…little sister and a sick…father.” He rose up, “Is that so?” A sadistic smile spread across his face as he stared down the soldier. “I promise to take good care of them.” A shiver ran through her partly crushed spine as her eyes widened further in fear. Choking and shivering, her sobs soon came to a stop, her stretched fingers curling and lowering as her arm went limp, her eyes reflecting traces of hopelessness, fear and hatred. Crouching before her once more, he shut her eyes with his fingers. “You have my word.” He said quietly.
“Hijiri-san?” Akame called, approaching the grave looking Hijiri.
“What’s up Akame-chan?” He turned to her with a small smile.
“We’re done here.” She replied, her hand resting on the handle of her katana. “Is that so? Yo noodle boy!” Hijiri turned to the approaching Lubbock.
“What do you want?” Lubbock tilted his head to the left brow raised.
“You set the barrier around the stronghold, right?”
“Of course.”
“Did anyone get in or out of the stronghold during our attack?”
“No, I didn’t sense anything.”
“So you noticed it as well, Hijiri-san? It seemed they were mainly interested in you.” Akame stated. Hijiri sighed and gazed at the moonless sky. “Yeah, the fact they never made contact or attempted to could mean two things; One, they’re spies from the other leaders in the resistance that might have gotten word of my joining the crew, or two, they’re on the empire’s side.”
“But to be skilled enough to completely avoid my threads, this is really troublesome.” Lubbock sighed, stuffing his hands into his jacket pockets.
“Then we should get going, the sooner we get to the third, the messier any preparations they have for us will be.” Hijiri stated, walking towards the forest that surrounded the stronghold.