Chapter 7- Prope

"Leone."
"Hm?"
"Last I heard, your mission was super important, wasn't it?"
"It's just a bodyguard mission, plus my squad mates won't be at the rendezvous for another two days, so there's no rush." Hijiri leaned back with a sigh. Leone who sat facing him studied his shirtless form as the light from the camp fire highlighted his muscular figure and the various scars that ran across his body.
"Your scars... doesn't your regeneration get rid of them?" Leone asked, her wooden spoon halfway to her mouth.
"Yeah, I feel like it's a constant reminder that I'm still human...for the most part." Suddenly clenching his jaw as he ended his statement, Hijiri gripped his bandaged right arm tightly, a violent shudder running through him. Surprised, Leone set her bowl aside and rushed to his side.
"Hey??!" She exclaimed in concern, examining Hijiri. With visible effort, Hijiri muttered. "I'm fine."
Leone inspected him once more; his sweaty forehead and his messy white hair that stuck to it, his heavy breathing, the flinching that occurred whenever she came in contact with his right arm and the continuous throbbing Leone felt when she remained in touch with it was concerning.

Reaching for his forehead, his body temperature caused Leone to frown. "Have you fully recovered?"

Hijiri chuckled weakly and glanced at her. "I haven't exactly been in "optimal health" since I joined the Night raid. Plus, my fight with Esdeath might have taken more out of me than I initially thought, especially the third stage...yikes."

Third stage? Leone's surprised expression switched to a frown as she moved closer to tap him lightly on the shoulder. "Dumbass, wash up and let's get you inside so you can actually get some rest." Leone rose, holding on to him as they left the campfire behind.
"But hey, on the bright side, you'll be in the tent to look after me." Hijiri smirked.
"Don't get cocky now." Leone chuckled.
...

An uncomfortable silence filled the office as an unfazed Arata stared at the frowning Esdeath.
"Take a seat, General. I insist." Arata stated quietly.
Sighing in annoyance, she took a seat, crossing her legs as she glowered at Arata. Pinching the bridge of his nose, he heaved a sigh. "Yes...yes I knew."
"And you saw no reason to inform the emperor?" She questioned, her tone taunting.
Arata paused, staring at Esdeath inquisitively. "I felt it would only cause unnecessary commotion. So I ask you this general - Arata leaned forward, his cerulean eyes gazing intensely at Esdeath - what will you do now that you have learned this?"
Relaxing her posture, Esdeath held his gaze. "Nothing Arata-sama, I just wanted to know where your loyalty lies."
"Of course my loyalty lies with my people and the Supreme order but the empire is an ally and I am not one to betray my allies."
Glancing away, Esdeath muttered. "So it would seem."
"But it is understandable, after all you were simply looking out for yourself and hopefully the empire as well." Esdeath's lips hinted at a smile, Arata's statement her source of amusement.
The silence returned for a brief moment, Arata and Esdeath coming to an unspoken agreement.
"If you'll excuse me, Arata-sama." Esdeath broke the quiet, rising from the chair.
"A moment General." Arata called, rising and walking briskly to stand beside Esdeath.
Snapping his fingers, the air rushed at them, spinning swiftly to form a transparent air bubble around them. "My spies have located a member of the Supreme order - Esdeath held his gaze, her brow raised. - but I do not wish to inform anyone else about this."
Glancing around the room, Esdeath's gaze returned to his. "And why is that?"
Crossing his arms, Arata leaned on the desk behind him. "When my subordinate informed me, he told me about the presence of another group of observers who seemed particularly interested in the battles of my comrade."
Esdeath's mouth tightened into a thin line, her brows furrowing slightly. "Is it Night raid?"
Turning to the table, Arata took an envelope and handed it to Esdeath. "Most likely. I wish to avoid accidentally tipping off the enemy so I wish to handle it with absolute discretion."
Looking up from the letter, Esdeath asked. "If you wish to be discreet why tell me?"
"I require your help and who knows, maybe your spars with our soon-to-be colleague would be far more threatening than your spars with me." Arata stated, his tone hinting at delight.
"So, when do we leave?"
"It would be best if we left at nightfall."