Chapter 19: Expedition

“For the last time, Akame-chan, pack only the necessary!”
“But I did that though,” Akame cocked her head in innocent curiosity at Hijiri’s statement, the latter sighing exasperatedly. Opening her large travel sack, he pulled a large foil-wrapped item, cocking a brow at the whistling Akame. “We’ll buy food along the way or better yet, we’ll hunt for some. So leave the meat behind!” Ignoring the pouting Akame, he strode into the kitchen and tossed it on the counter, returning to observe the contents of her bag. Crouching and pulling out a black cloth from the sack, Hijiri turned to Akame, questioning, “Whaddya even need all these clothes for? You only wear like one black outfit and your pj’s.”
Akame stared at him impassively, walking over and bumping her fist into the middle of his head, unsurprised at the snicker that escaped Hijiri at her embarrassed reaction.
“Nii-san, we’re all set here,” Tatsumi hollered, placing his small brown rucksack next to Leone’s larger bag. Hijiri looked from the large green bag to the grinning Leone, exhaling sharply and crouching to inspect it while using his right palm to ward off the yelping and squirming blonde.
“So are you all set?” Najenda walked into the common room, Lubbock, Susanoo, and Mine in tow.
“Almost, just gotta get rid of the excess luggage,” Hijiri gave the group a small wave, holding up a large bottle that he assumed was booze before shooting the goofily grinning Leone a disapproving frown.
“Oh, everyone’s here, that’s good,” Kanae clapped and drew up her hoodie’s sleeves. Hijiri looked away from Leone and gave her a once-over, noting her dark grey hoodie before glancing back at Tatsumi’s blue hoodie and dark grey jeans, “Nice couples outfit, you two.”
Kanae stuttered at first, pausing to inhale and exhale deeply, facing him with a pout, “Good one nii-san, anyway, I’d like to give you all a haircut before you leave.” Can’t have my teammates looking like tramps.
The members reached for their hair, confirming the truth behind her words, especially Hijiri and Tatsumi.
“So?” Kanae scanned the room’s occupants, “who am I working on first?” Her gaze landed on Lubbock, her brows raising in curiosity.
“I’m fine, thanks,” Lubbock backed away with both hands up, “The bangs are part of the flair.”
“Don’t be like that, Kanae’s awesome at giving haircuts though.”
“Really?” Leone glanced at Hijiri surprised, a smirk replacing her earlier shock as he nodded in approval, “What a talented lil sis.”
“Right? Wife material right there.”
Waving off their compliments with an embarrassed smile, Kanae turned to Najenda, “Do you mind if I start with your boss?”
“But I’m not travelling with them.”
“Is that a no?” Najenda glimpsed at Hijiri, sighing and closing her eye at the sight of his small nod. “Fine then, but only a trim.”
“Got it.”
“And you guys better be set by the time we’re ready. Hijiri, I’m entrusting you to sort through their things.”
“Roger boss!” Hijiri popped a thumbs up at Najenda, the two silver heads stealing a meaningful peek at Leone.
Najenda chuckled lightly at Leone’s muffled complaints, taking a seat in front of a gem-encased mirror. “I take it this was you’re doing?”

Kanae looked up, taking the rubber band from between her lips and tying her hair, “Yes, it’s nothing compared to how much help I’ve gotten from everyone, so.”
Najenda hummed appreciatively, raising a brow at Kanae’s that she spotted from the mirror. “Your hair grew by that much?”
“Oh, yes. My hair’s always taken less time than others to grow out but I think the fusion with our danger beasts amplified that.”
“That explains why Hijiri looks like a handsome hobo.” Kanae giggled lightly, tying her apron while she replied, “If Nii-san heard that, he’d gloat about you calling him handsome.”
Najenda glanced at Kanae’s reflection with a charming smile, placing her left index finger on her lip, “Let’s not tell him then alright?”
Moments passed, the snipping of the scissors and Kanae’s humming, were the only sounds filling the room. Najenda watched her while she worked; she was diligent and artful, Kanae’s fingers and the scissors moving through her hair like it was second nature. Then she paused with a distant look in her eyes. In the little time Najenda had known Kanae, she was usually expressive, so it was safe to say that something was bothering her.
“Kanae?”
“Hm? Oh sorry,” she smiled apologetically and returned to work. Najenda glimpsed at her again, her question snapping Kanae out of her daze, “Something bothering you?”
Kanae met her curious gaze in the mirror, taking a deep breath and leaning close, “I have a question for you, boss…no, Najenda-san.”
Oh? Najenda tilted her head back, her curiosity written in her features, “What might that be?”
“Nii-san…what are your feelings towards him?”
Was that it? Najenda faced her with a smile, “Are you perhaps insinuating that I may be in love with Hijiri?”
“What? N-no…I mean…” Kanae paused, staring at her hands embarrassed.
“It’s alright, I was just teasing you,” she chuckled lightly, pausing for a moment before continuing, her lips stretched out into a wistful smile, “Hijiri’s a friend I’ve grown to care for as well as a valuable teammate. He always finds a way to keep the team’s spirits up and his presence has strengthened the entire team, myself included. It’s funny how he’s always looked out for me, even back in the army.” Najenda closed her eye and reminisced, the image of a younger commander Hijiri grinning - with bandages around his right eye and his arm in a sling - came to mind as the faint snipping sound resumed. Maybe, if he was there, she subconsciously reached for the black eyepatch covering where her right eye was with a frown, this wouldn’t have happened.
“Well, I can tell he cares for you too,” Najenda stared at the mirror in awe of her neatly trimmed hair, beaming appreciatively at the beautiful lady who was responsible for it, “So whatever decision you make, you can count on my support, boss.”
Tatsumi looked up from the messy pile of clothes to Najenda and Kanae as they stepped out of the room, Hijiri’s wolf whistle and comment attracting the entire group. “Beautiful cut you got there, Najenda.”
“Thank you,” turning to Leone, she continued, “Leone, you should head in next.” The blonde hopped from her squat, saluting and walking beside Kanae into the room.

“So you’re really staying behind, Lubbock?” Mine asked, pulling tightly on a strap to hold the luggage in place. The wind rushed past, blowing back Lubbock’s hair and jacket while he scanned the surroundings, his gaze coming to rest on Mine, “Someone’s gotta hold down the fort, but don’t worry I won’t be slacking off in training either.”
“I’m not worried, Susanoo, the boss and I are here too, so we’ve got it covered,” Mine leaned forward, her expression a mixture of exhaustion and doubt.
“Oh c’mon, who’s gonna look after the wires around the base huh?”
“Your usefulness is not being questioned, Lubbock,” Susanoo mentioned, approaching the two with the rest of the Night raid in tow.
“Kinda sounds like…” he trailed off, staring at Hijiri in pure disbelief. He looked at the others and then returned his gaze to him, bursting into hysterical laughter. “How are you guys not finding this funny?!” Lubbock asked, his high-pitched tone giving way to another fit of laughter.
While Hijiri’s haircut was not one to warrant such a reaction; in a normal case, the fact that the usually rowdy Order of Flames had such a style was a sight to behold. While he usually sported neck-long hair, Hijiri’s white hair was now short, with trimmed bangs and a side parting by the left side of his head.
Glowering at the guffawing Lubbock, he clicked his tongue in annoyance and reached for his hair, Kanae’s slender fingers stopping his hand in its tracks. “Ignore him, you look amazing.”
“Kanae-san’s right, nii-san,” Tatsumi walked around Hijiri, coming to a stop beside Kanae with an encouraging smile. He sighed and faced Kanae, “You’re really staying behind?”
“Of course, nii-san. I’ve got to look after the Night Raid in your stead. Don’t worry and focus on your training, okay?”
“Fine,” grabbing her arm suddenly, Hijiri pulled her into a hug, “Stay safe, okay?”
“Alright alright. Besides, I might come to say hi later.” Glimpsing at Akame who interrupted him with a pat on the back, “You’re still acting like an old man, Hijiri-san.”
“So when do you think you’ll return?” Hijiri stepped away from Kanae and turned to face Najenda, silently pondering her question.
“Two or three months at most, we might finish up earlier and return.”
“Is that so?” Najenda muttered, placing her left hand on her chin while she forced her plans.
“Najenda.”
“Hm?”
“Walk with me for a bit,” the group went silent at Hijiri’s statement, their gaze moving between him and Najenda expectantly. She raised a brow at him, noting his solemn stare, and sighed. “Let’s go then.” Hijiri turned back to the other Night raiders and stated, “You guys get ready, we’ll leave as soon as I return.” And with those words, he and Najenda vanished into the surrounding tree line.
The leaves crunched beneath the feet of the duo, the breeze causing the trees and their trimmed hair to sway. They remained silent; right from leaving their companions up until reaching a considerable distance in the forest. Najenda’s curiosity grew with each step and finally, she asked, “What’d you want to talk about?”
Hijiri inhaled deeply, Najenda watching his expression change from impassive to hesitant to sorrowful and finally solemn, “I’ll need y’all to lay low till we return. Unless it’s really important, it’ll be best for Night Raid to not handle any missions.”
“That’s a bit surprising coming from you. Are you that scared for us?” Najenda’s smirk vanished at the sight of Hijiri’s concerned expression, her forehead creasing as she frowned. “I get it, we’ll just do what little investigation that we can do.”
He remained silent for a brief moment, startling Najenda by immediately closing the distance in a stride and giving her a warm embrace. Her curvaceous bosom pushed against his torso, the side of her head gently pressed on Hijiri’s chest, his irregular heartbeat another one of the several things she found strange at that moment. They remained unmoving, the throbbing in his chest slowly receding while her’s had just begun, a reaction she found startling.
Much to her surprise and displeasure, Hijiri stepped back, still quiet while he stared at the surrounding trees, purposefully avoiding Najenda’s gaze. His chuckle interrupted the silence and her train of thoughts, the comment that came afterwards expressing his formerly hidden emotions, “Look at me getting all touchy-feely, eh? Welp, I’m off.” Najenda stood still and watched Hijiri leave while wearing a small grin. Chuckling lightly, she walked after him, the amusing but endearing scenario continuously replaying in her head.
Patting the air manta, Hijiri waved at the remaining Night raiders with a wolfish grin, the fins of the creature flapping slowly while it ascended. The assassins quietly watched the figure fade into the distance, Najenda’s clap gaining their attention, “Alright, let’s get back to the house, we’ve got some packages to go through.”
“Packages?” Kanae raised a brow.
“Yeah, a pile of info from the empire and reports from the revolutionary army,” Lubbock explained, interlacing his fingers behind his head.
“Oh. Sometimes I forget that the boss is one of the leaders of the resistance,” Kanae chuckled nervously, Lubbock nodding in support of her statement.
Her brows raised and the edge of her mouth tilted up in a smirk but Najenda’s tone seemed to contradict her expression when she asked, “Should I feel insulted?” Lubbock whistled nervously and Kanae remained silent, the two purposefully avoiding her stare. “Okay okay,” she chortled, “Let’s get back to the house.”
“But y’all know, we don’t have much time so we gotta train hard,” Hijiri reached for his hair, halting midway and returning to his original position. Tatsumi chuckled at his actions, his brows furrowing as the memories of the battle with Haruma resurfaced, his fists clenching tightly.
“But we’re quite strong,” Hijiri faced Akame curiously, “I mean we were able to land several hits on Kanae.”
“Sorry, but I was being tossed around most of the fight.” There was a brief pause, then the trio burst into laughter, Hijiri’s guffaw a tad louder than the others as he recalled the battle.
“Jokes aside,” Hijiri explained, still wearing a bright grin, “dunno if I ever told you this, but all members of the Supreme Order are equal in raw power.” Akame lifted her hand, catching Hijiri’s attention. “Akame-chan.” He gestured at her and she stated, “You told us about that after our contact with Arata-san during the stronghold mission.”
“Oh, yeah. 10 points for Akame-chan.”
“So Hijiri?”
“Hm?” Hijiri turned to his blonde companion inquisitively.
“You’re saying Kanae-chan’s as strong as you?”
“Something like that.” He stared at clear blue skies, “Kanae’s got a bad habit of holding herself back.” He returned his focus to his travel companions, continuing,  “Good example is when y’all fought her, her danger beast’s the one that was in control at the time and she knew you were with me so.”
“Wait,” Leone raised her hands to halt Hijiri while she struggled to process the new information given to her, a situation she found herself in a little too often recently. She was well aware that she wasn’t the brightest tool in the shed, but she believed his statement should’ve been surprising to the others as well. “What do you mean by her danger beast was in control?” she glanced at Tatsumi and Akame, relieved that they seem as interested in the answer to her question as she was. Hijiri noted their intrigue and sighed, holding his right hand while explaining, “When we fused with them, these guys became our alter egos. They’re like this separate existence just chilling in our heads. So we can hear, talk and have our bodies controlled by them, with our permission obviously.”
They went quiet and looked away from their silver-haired colleague, each trying to come to terms with his statement and what it meant for them. He clapped, gaining his squad mates' attention but interrupting their thoughts, “Don’t sweat all that. What we gotta do is focus so that guys like Haruma or even Ellie won’t be much trouble for us, got it?”
“Yeah!”
“Mhmm.”
“Definitely.”