Chapter 8 - The Order

Diving to his left, Tatsumi narrowly dodged a crystalline spear, Incursio's cape fluttering behind him. "Wait a minute!! We aren't enemies!" He yelled, rolling forward as another spear stabbed where he stood a moment ago.
"There's no use in explaining, we have to subdue her." Akame said as she rushed past Tatsumi, her hand on the hilt of her sheathed blade. Spinning, she dodged a crystal pillar that had shot out from the ground before her, ducking to avoid another pillar that extended horizontally from the original. Akame lunged onward, closing the distance between her and her opponent, her arms wound back to swing her blade. A large crystal dome appeared, obstructing Akame's attack, a small crack running down the spot her sword had struck.

"I got it." Tatsumi stated, running forward as Akame hopped back, thrusting his spear into a sight crack, the surrounding dome shattering. Tatsumi's moment of satisfaction was cut short as a group of small pillars slammed into his armored torso, knocking him several paces back.

"Are you alright, Tatsumi?!" Akame called out, her sword drawn as she stood before him, her eyes glancing from his crouched form to their adversary.
"Yeah...gimme a sec." Tatsumi rose his steel-clad fist, taking a deep breath as he resumed his fighting stance. That damn Hijiri nii-san!

...
They stood on a hill overlooking a conspicuous looking cave. Tatsumi glanced around, unsheathing his sword as he stepped forward to get a better look. "So, she's in there?"
"Yep." Hijiri stated, shielding his eyes with his right arm.
"How are you so sure?" Tatsumi asked, pointedly glancing at Hijiri.
"Because - Hijiri crouched, tapping the ground with his right index finger - I can sense her or rather her body heat to be exact."
"Wait, is that an ability of yours or does she know you're...?!" Akame spun surprised as four bright orange fireballs came to life above his open left palm.
"Nope, but she's about to." Hijiri chuckled menacingly.
Huh? Tatsumi turned quickly as Hijiri swung his claymore down, shattering the edge of the cliff where the duo stood.
They leapt back, landing unscathed but confused.
"What the hell is happening?!" Tatsumi who had instinctively activated Incursio mid-air offered Akame his hand as he surveyed the area. Four explosions rang in succession as a large cloud of smoke rose from the mouth of the cave.
"Yo, Tatsumi, Akame! I've got one instruction for you both! Don't embarrass me!!" Hijiri yelled with a toothy grin as a low rumbling echoed from within the cave.

...
"How the hell does he expect us to win against one of the Supreme Order." Tatsumi grumbled, studying the girl called Kanae warily.
"What do you bastards think you're doing?" Kanae's mouth opened, an inhumane tone the result. She looked down on them from a gem disc, her purple neck length hair fluttering in the wind.
She's beautiful. Tatsumi's thoughts raced as he noted her bright purple irises and light pink lips, her face was a bit slim and she had a slender figure. Her physique was similar to that of Akame except she was shorter. Shaking his head, Tatsumi frowned as he studied her attacks searching for an opening.
"It seems I had gone too easy on you empire dogs, a mistake I won't make a second time." Kanae stated, her voice filled with contempt.
"Wha- what?! We're not with the empire!" Tatsumi yelled spinning his spear to fend off the volley of crystalline projectiles.
"Focus Tatsumi! Talking won't get us anywhere." Akame yelled, gracefully evading the gems as she carefully approached Kanae.
"Akame!" Tatsumi yelled, rushing to her side. "I'll fend off the attacks, you find away through alright?"
"We'll use the strategy we use against Hijiri-san." Akame stated, her gaze never leaving Kanae.
Lunging forward, Tatsumi activated Incursio's stealth ability disappearing from her view. Glancing down to watch for footprints, Kanae traced his probable path with her finger, a torrent of crystals trailing him. The dust cloud cleared as Incursio's spear spun from Kanae's right, two crystal orbs flattening to take the form of a shield, successfully blocking the attack. Timing it with the block, Tatsumi leapt at Kanae while she was distracted handling the spear, his leg drawn back for a kick.