Chapter 10 Part II

Hijiri yawned, covering his mouth as he sat a distance from where his companions decided to set up camp for the night. He sighed, his thoughts racing from Kanae to the spy, to his time in the military. He glanced at the approaching Akame, returning his gaze back to the setting sun. "Need any help?"

"No, we're all set, Tatsumi's handling the cooking and Kanae just finished gathering wood."

Hijiri turned around suddenly, brow raised. "Tatsumi can cook?"

It was now Akame's turn to be surprised. "How did you not know? He's being the one in charge of most meals."

Hijiri exhaled, stretching his arms. "I thought you and Susanoo were the ones who handled the cooking..."

"...it would have been easier to notice if you weren't exhausted all the time." Akame interrupted, remaining expressionless.

Eh? Hijiri tilted his head, confused.
"Leone, Boss, Susanoo and I are aware of the fact that you have been pushing yourself." Walking to his right side, Akame poked Hijiri's bandaged right arm, expressing concern about the unnatural warmth and hardness she felt.

"Well. I guess I'm a bit exhausted, but do you know what could make me feel better? A lap pillow." Hijiri smirked at the impassive Akame.

She dusted off her black skirt, sitting in a seiza style as she patted her legs. "I don't know how long I can sit like this, so come on." Akame held up her arms in a welcoming manner, her usual deadpan present but barely hiding the eagerness she felt.

Hijiri snorted, lowering the back of his head unto her thighs. "Don't mind if I do." He chuckled as he watched Akame's hands hover awkwardly. "You know you can put your hand on my hair, right?" She huffed adorably at the information, placing her right palm on Hijiri's face, earning another snort from him.

"Hijiri-san."

"Hm?" He peeked at her through her fingers that rested on his face, noting her solemn expression.

"I'd like for you to open up more..." He stared at her, expecting a conclusion to her statement, but there was none. "I'll tell you a bit about myself but you'll open up in return."

"Akame-chan, I never agreed to such a deal." Hijiri objected, raising his palm.

"Then I guess, I'll have to brag to the Boss about how I was the first to offer you a lap pillow." Akame stated tapping his forehead. He sighed, giving her the go ahead.

"My little sister, Kurome and I were sold to the empire as children by our parents. They never gave us a proper reason, all we knew is one day we couldn't go to bed next to them anymore. There were a lot of children who went through the same thing. We were all placed in a forest filled with all sorts of danger beasts as some kind sick filtering and Kurome and I were the only ones to survive." Akame paused, her hands fiddling with Hijiri's silver hair. He touched her hand gently, giving her a reassuring nod as she continued.
"We became assassins but were separated because Gonzuki, our captain at the time, insinuated that if Kurome and I remained together, we would become the strongest in the world."

"Is that the power of family?" Hijiri muttered, waving off Akame's inquisitive glance.

"He named the group the elite seven and that was how I started down the blood-soaked path. I kept killing and sabotaging, but I felt nothing. I knew better than letting my emotions get the better of me. However, I couldn't help it after I killed Martha."

"Martha?" Hijiri asked softly, watching Akame's expression.

"She...she was my best friend and apparently a spy for the revolutionary army. After her death, my doubts grew about the so called order the higher ups claimed we were preserving. My comrades continued to die off and my distrust grew." She exhaled sharply, opening her eyes as she felt Hijiri's hands close around hers, giving them a comforting squeeze.