Chapter 8: Part II

The bustle of the town this late in the afternoon intrigued Arata as he observed them from the window of his rented room. Looking over the room once more, Arata sighed. Though it couldn't be compared to the luxurious ones he was used to both in the capital and his hometown, it was also nowhere as bad as the camps he made while in the military.

The room was quite suffocating, a desk and lamp were at the side of the room and the bath was adequate. It was quite reasonable given the fact that it was a room which originally had one bed and at his polite request and hearty donation, had another added. There was no way changes couldn't be made even if there was no other room. Arata wasn't ready to reply heartily and dive into the room with Esdeath and have an embarrassingly awkward exchange like it was some poorly written novel.

With the two beds present, Esdeath occupied one while Arata occupied the other. He spared her a glance, raising a brow at her outfit. She wore a black sleeved t-shirt with long slits running down the side of both arms. The slits were partly covered with a thick thread in a zig-zag manner with a baggy black trouser and her hair was tied up in a neat ponytail. Esdeath gave off a different feel from her usual self almost endearing if observed by one who had no prior knowledge of her.
She scanned through some papers before her, the edge of her pen tilting down her pale pink lower lip. Esdeath looked up, catching Arata's gaze.

Smiling, she asked. "What's the matter, Arata-san?"
Arata held her gaze, sighing and turning away a moment after. "I believe it would take me a while to get used to that side of you, Gen- Esdeath-san."
Tilting her head to the side, Esdeath smirked tucking her bangs behind her ear. "To think the fast-paced Arata-san would have this much trouble adapting to the situation, it's quite surprising."
"I believe it is the casual wear." Arata replied, his gaze fixed on the town.
Esdeath drew out a part of the t-shirt, looking at it before turning back to Arata. "Obviously I couldn't walk around in my uniform, now could I? Is there a problem with the outfit, Arata-san?" She taunted.
Running his hand through his sky-blue hair, Arata dropped on his bed. "It is just unusual to see you in..." He paused, turning to the window with a frown.
Esdeath's brows creased slightly in concern. "What's the matter, Arata-san?"

Picking his trench coat hung on the wardrobe, he hurriedly wore it, sparing Esdeath a glance. "It seems Roland-san is under attack."
Grabbing her sheathed sword, Esdeath placed it in a sword bag and slung it over her shoulder, speedily approaching Arata. "What's happening?" She asked, the two walking briskly down the inn's hallway
"Though we were unable to meet him upon entering the town yesterday, I spent a better part of the night searching for him." Esdeath turned to him startled. "But you never left the room last night."

Turning from the receptionist, Arata smiled, tapping his forehead with his right index finger. "As expected of the general. However, I used a skill of mine that should I focus, I would be able to notice disruptions in the air current within a certain area. A town of this size is not a problem but a province as large as the capital would be taxing but possible. But the larger the range the less efficient it is."
Esdeath looked away perplexed. One on hand, she was relieved that her senses had not grown dull even in the face of the oh so mighty Supreme order, but on the other hand she had a better understanding of the kinds of monsters they were and to her surprise and excitement, the gap in strength wasn't so far off.
Arata chuckled. "It seems I have become quite talkative when speaking with you."

"It's probably what happens when you speak with subordinates." Esdeath waved her hand dismissively.
"No." Arata gave her a sidelong glance. "From the start, I have only viewed as an equal, General."
"Says the stronger one." She scoffed.
"You are an intelligent woman, strong, capable and an impressive tactician who has earned the devotion of the strongest unit in the empire. With that you have earned my admiration," He stated, his lips tilting upwards.